the ultimate silly question

Afrosnatcher

ok. i realise this will sound really silly to all the pros on here but i have no idea so here goes:

how do you record (mic to mixer to terratec dmx 6-fire 24/96) in cubase? i want to record some stuff but i dont wanna go buying cubase for stupid amounts of money and then realise i need to spend even more money getiing it to work for me :rolleyes:

Yes... It can be done with a mic, a mixer, a soundcard, and a software sequencer like Cubase.

I'm not sure what your asking. Are you wanting me to explain the recording process with these tools?

its not hard..
read the manuals..

then..

just start hooking crap up :)

nothing is going to explode and kill you if you plug it in wrong.

i sure hope not at least.

Yo Afrosnatcher! Imagine that you went on a medical board and asked how to do an appendectomy. OK. I got some scalpels, and some sutures, a bunch of gauze sponges. a circulating nurse, sterile gloves, gown and mask, and an operating room with bright lights. So how do I remove that appendix anyway? OK, there's a 1000 page textbook on basic abdominal surgery, with an entire chapter on appendectomies. Guess what, nobody will type it all out for the would be doctor. They'll tell him to read the textbook, or actually go to medical school.
Aside from a few cables and a good set of headphones. you have described a signal chain that *will* allow you to record stuff. If you want to mix it down afterwards, you'll need some studio monitors. Don't do it with headphones. And unless you already have a well prepared acoustic space, you may find you are just recording traffic noise, lawnmowers, etc. I'm trying to tell you something useful, dude, but I don't know what it is you don't know. I could say- you stick the mic in front of the talent. Then you click on the red button that says "record". Then click on "play" and be *very quiet*, but I'm really not trying to bust your balls.
The stuff you have described will work to record stuff, up to the limits of the number of inputs you have on the mixer and the soundcard, but it might take *you* a couple of years to become a tracking engineer.
Here's one point that may be useful to you- A mixer allows for a lot of different signal routing arrangements, and not all mixers were created equal. There's basically 3 things you can do with a mixer and a soundcard:
1. You can mix all the inputs down to 2, the main outs, going into the line ins on the soundcard. That works fine for very simple stuff, like stereo recording, but if you have a bunch of inputs, and the mix is wrong going in, you're screwed, because you can't change it later.
2. You can record each part separately, same as #1 above, and then mix it down in the computer software. This is usually more effective for studio recording, but you need a headphone distribution amp and headphones for you, as well as anybody who's playing, so they can hear the tracks that have already been laid down, and themselves.
3. You can use channel inserts and aux sends (if the mixer has them) to send the different signals to separate inputs on the soundcard and record them as separate tracks simultaneously. This rocks, but poses certain problems. You are limited by the number of channel-specific outs on the mixer, and the number of ins on the soundcard. The biggest problem with that, called live studio recording, is that you are likely to experience microphone bleed, where mics pick up more than one signal, making it hard to separate the signals. The big studios solve this by having separate rooms with lots of cables running through the walls. You also need more mics, more cables, more headphones, in other words, more money.

Here's hoping that helps. You're right. You're in over your head. People deal with that in different ways. I was in over my head 3 years ago, and I got through it, but not without making some mistakes. It's hard to help you right now, because you don't know enough yet to know what questions you need the answers to. So either chicken out, give up, and go to a studio, or keep asking dumb questions until the answers start to make sense. It's up to you. Sometimes going to a studio is the right answer. It depends on what you're trying to do. I'm there for you- say $30 an hour.- Good luck.-Richie

ok. cheers man. thats pretty much wat i wanted to know (whether or not it'll work) so i shall press ahead and see what happens! the suck and see method!

Afrosnatcher said:
ok. i realise this will sound really silly to all the pros on here but i have no idea so here goes:

how do you record (mic to mixer to terratec dmx 6-fire 24/96) in cubase? i want to record some stuff but i dont wanna go buying cubase for stupid amounts of money and then realise i need to spend even more money getiing it to work for me :rolleyes:
Cubase sucks. Download demos of software and try it out before deciding. check out primarily n-track, Tracktion and Ableton Live .

regebro said:
Cubase sucks. Download demos of software and try it out before deciding. check out primarily n-track, Tracktion and Ableton Live .

I absolutley disagree. Cubase does not suck. Now I've seen a lot of projects done with cubase that suck but I contribute that to lack of knowledge. Cubase is a dope program and well worth stealing it... ohh I meant to say spending stupid amounts of money on it.

regebro said:

I believe what you intended to say was "Cubase is not the program that I would recommend to you. Instead, check out these other fine programs: n-Track, Tracktion, Ableton Live."

IronFlippy said:
I believe what you intended to say was "Cubase is not the program that I would recommend to you. Instead, check out these other fine programs: n-Track, Tracktion, Ableton Live."
No, really. I meant "Cubase sucks". Using cubase is like trying to walk in a 100mph headwind. That thi is a personal opinion of mine should be obvious to anybody with an IQ over 6. :p

Cubase is an excellent programme. Even the stripped down (and much cheaper) Cubase SE is very useable and the features are more than enough for your average homerecor.

I found it pretty intuitive too which is important for beginners.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
I found it pretty intuitive
:eek: That I find completely impossible. :confused: I don't doubt that it's great once you understand how the fuck to use it, but after trying to record with Cubase 4-5 times and failing each time I gave up. :)

That's why Cubase sucks. :cool:

regebro said:
:eek: That I find completely impossible. :confused: I don't doubt that it's great once you understand how the fuck to use it, but after trying to record with Cubase 4-5 times and failing each time I gave up. :)

I didn't even have lots of experience with recording in a DAW before I tried cubase. Read start guide- started recording.

I guess we all learn different things in different ways and what's inuitive to some is a mystery to others. Either that or you're a dumbass :p :D .

Logic, now there's a difficult programme to learn.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
I didn't even have lots of experience with recording in a DAW before I tried cubase.
Neither did I. I did however have a lot of experience with 4-tracks and a little with reel-to reel. Maybe thats the difference. Maybe the difference is that I, as a computer programmer, am sick and tired of firguring out what quirks this particular program has, and expect things to "just work". Which is teh experience I had with both Live and Tracktion, (and also ReBirth and Reason although they are not DAWs, of course). They just worked.

regebro said:

It sounds to me like YOU suck, and Cubase is fine. If all these other people love it, and only you hate it, where does it sound like the problem lies?

famous beagle said:
It sounds to me like YOU suck
It sounds to me like you are a rude and stupid asswipe that can't stand the fact that people have different opinions and different desires and different experiences. Obviously you have nothing to contribute to this thread except insults and general stupidity. Shut the fuck up.

Back