The State of Recording 2008

SouthSIDE Glen

independentrecording.net
I just read the print version of this article in my subscription to Pro Sound News. There's probably not anything earth-shattering in there for most of us, but I thought it did a pretty good job of describing and summing up the current state of the recording industry, and thought it night be nice to share it here and invite comments or feedback.

http://www.prosoundnews.com/article/18026

G.

That's an interesting, quick read. The product placement bits were lost on me, neophyte that I am, but overall it was thought-provoking / thought-echoing.

I'm in the group of newb home recorders who are former full time musicians who moved on and would not be recording anything at all if not for the advances in technology that are accessible to me. I never stopped playing guitar, but hadn't recorded anything since the early nineties (my first stab at home recording - my, how things have improved since then), and haven't been in a professional studio since the eighties.

My pro studio experience (as a musician) still resonates, and the thought that I could produce anything in that league never even occurs to me -- not because of my equipment, but rather because of my [lack of] skill -- I learned enough to know that I'll probably never acquire the level of skill that those folks had, unless I have some unexpected major life change that puts a lot of time on my hands.

I have yet to engage the skills of a professional mixer or masterer, but I can see how I might do so over the next couple of years. What stuck out in the article for me was that my group of bozos is actually fueling a little market bump in those areas, even if we don't fork over the money to match the old days.

your right glen nothing surprising here but good read anyhow...

the good thing about the availability of the technology is the bad thing about the technology...

just because you have the ability to record everything.... doesn't mean everything is worthy of being recorded... the cost of a 2" reel kept alotta crap from being recorded while some worthy stuff fell to the wayside...

What I feel to be a very important point that article makes early on is the instability and uncertainty in the monetization of music. The increased "open sourcing" of recorded music is decreasing it's value. Nobody is going to invest in something that has no value. What's the point of spending money on quality gear or time on learning quality techniques if all one is going to do is give their music away on the Internet? The money is better spent on things like gasoline and mortgage payments.

G.

In many ways, the trials and tribulations the recording industry is experiencing now have already been experienced by the print industry. In another post I've used this analogy, but briefly, the boom of PCs and desktop publishing in the nineties sparked the massive decentralisation of printing, and many printing firms disappeared. This decentralisation was accompanied by reams of ugly, garish and unprofessional printed matter, because having the means didn't automatically ensure the quality. Many would-be publishers and editors did not have, and did not realise they should have, the grammatical and graphical skills to produce a good product.

Does this all sound familiar? Simply scratch out "printing" and insert "recording", and you get a snapshot of the recording industry.

However, there is still a role for publishing houses and printing firms, and many are still doing really well. That is because (a) people still buy books and read magazines, and (b) there is a role that has assumed greater importance; that of 'repairing' material provided by enthusiastic but clueless amateur publishers.

The parallel in the recording industry, as noted in the article, is the ongoing work that keeps mastering houses busy and their thankless task in 'repairing' the work spawned from the swelling numbers of equally enthusiastic but clueless home studios.

The difference, though, is in the distribution of the final product. While there are online versions of newspapers, magazines and novels, the interest in these is minute compared to the online trade in MP3s and the decline in CD sales.

Associated with this is the difficulty of adapting copyright laws, framed in an era when infringement and enforcement was considerably less ambiguous, to the shadowy immediacy of the internet.

When you couple this with a pervasive cultural of entitlement ("I want it, therefore I can have it"), it is really difficult to predict the future of recorded music.

The "industrialisation" of music started with the phonograph in 1877, for whom we can thank Thomas Edison, and has tripped along nicely for about a century. It has only seriously been challenged in the last fifteen years or so. Perhaps we may revert to a post-industrial era that could resemble a pre-industrial era. The MP3s that we swap will become the equivalent of the wandering minstrels and the material that was transmitted and remembered orally. The concept of an 'album' may eventually disappear altogether.

Back