The Sound of Silence

gordone

With apologies to Paul Simon!

Awhile back I was asking about KVM Extenders, and other ways to get around my loud PSU fan in my basement studio. Well this weekend I was in the unfinished part of my basement straightening up all the boxes of junk we have back there, and I noticed the back of the Cable TV jack, which was on the wall where my PC was. Lighbulbs!!!

I unscrewed the wall jack and I had a nice size hole right around where my workstation was. I unhooked my PC, grabbed an old desk in the unfinished part, plopped the PC on it (to get it off the ground and to help with dust), and I was able to route all my cables from my workstation to the loud PC. I even got the printer and CD-Burner to remain in the studio. Now I just have to walk to the other room when loading a floppy/zip/internal CD-ROM disk.

Now my room is soooo much quieter!!!!! I have to remember to turn off the flurocent overhead light since that would then be the loudest noise. All I'm left with is a slight hum from the AC at the other end of the room.

I have the place Auralex'd so it's pretty dead. I was able to put up my mics (KM184, Soundelux U97) about 2 feet in front of my guitar, crank the gain on my Great River MP2, and my record level (Delta 44) was still only ~ -54. It used to be around -30 in a similar situation. Finally, my guitar recordings sounds like you're listening to it from a few feet away, which is what I wanted all along! With my PSU noise problems, I could't mic more than 1 foot away without having huge noise issues.

So, to all those PC people - get those Computers out of the recording room!!!!!

Now back to your regular scheduled "Where can I download Waves for free on the web?" :)

It's good to hear that's worked for someone. I have a fish tape :) and I'd love to do it (I have an unfinished half of my basement too), but I'd have enough cords & wires to choke a horse on - I'd need to have the monitor & mouse in the studio.

The worst would be for my C-Port - It's got a proprietary cable that's not nearly long enough - I'm luck enough to get it into the rack next to the computer desk :< I've thought about ways to insulate (er.. isolate) the computer, but it'd be a real trick without constricting airflow.

Now back to your regular scheduled "Where can I download Waves for free on the web?"

So where can you?

Just Kidding.

I usually get mine from

ww.ShittyCrackedWarezThatDontWorkRightandConstantlyCrashYourComputer.c0m

or

ww.GoodLuckGettingThisGarbageToActuallyWork.c0m

:D

On a couple recording boards I frequent, people ask about what they can do to make their PC's quieter. - My first response is, don't do anything: get longer mic cables, and put the PC in a separate room, or on a rollaround cart you can push into a separate room or a closet, while you're recording. Even just pushing it around a corner can help a lot. It's much less trouble and usually way cheaper than trying to install low-noise fans and HD's on the PC....
~

I get all my free samples and software from

www.superP2Pvirustrojannet.com

Back