The sound from the tweeters sounds like...

fluxburn

I was wondering how they make this cd sound like the tweeters are in a round shaped box. I guess it is some reverb? The sound comes out of the tweeters and feels like it is surrounding in a circle and round. This is the best way I describe it. The cd is Trance Masters I bought in England last year. It was #1 in Virgin Music store. I guess this is the work of the master engineer?

I don't really understand how these dj mixes work... When all the cymbals in everyn song sound the same? I guess that is the mastering engineer appling reverb to that frequency range of the tracks correct?

I can understand a rock band that is all one band, with all the same tracks. But it seems crazy to be able to merge the sound of 12 different songs from different producers etc to all sound the same.

I guess maybe this is because all the artists on the "mix cd" are all on the same label right?

Oh my.

Let's try this point by point. I'll take the first:

If you're describing the mix as having a sense of space (the round shaped box), that has to do with reverb/delay in the mix.

MP

. . .although, maybe it's a panning/flanger/phaser effect you're hearing.

Tag. . .

It seems strange... a cd I make will sound flat. These cds sound round... the sound comes out not straight at you. The way the sound is dispersed seems to be spread out in a small shape... mabye plate reverb or small room?

I guess you just pump reverb for the master and not invidual tracks?

Or is it proper to put reverb on each track in little amounts?

Not all effects are created alike. There is a reason some jam packed multi-effects unit cost $150 and a one-trick pony can cost well over $3000. You start throwing reverb on everything and you will end up with a swirling ball of mud. Psychoacoustics is serious science.

As far as a lot of the tracks sounding similar it could be a number of things. A compilation or mix CD will often be mastered in addition to the mastering done to the original track. Generally the idea is to get a uniform sound especially if it's a DJ mix. So what you hear may be quite different from what the DJ turned in. I don't think it's common to apply serious effects to a final mix especially on electronic dance music that has so much already. I'm guessing the tracks were pretty good to start with. There are only a handful of really great mastering engineers around the world. Word travels and an engineer can get a lot of work if a track he/she works on charts well which might explain why a lot of tracks sound the same.

How can thier be so few mastering engineers? Their are so many who mix and record. How come thier are tons of software programers and not that many mastering enigneers?

fluxburn said:
....How come thier are tons of software programers and not that many mastering enigneers?

Because Mastering Engineers can't get away with putting out a CD and then releasing a 'critical update' patch every week to fix the problems that they missed.

fluxburn said:
How come thier are tons of software programers and not that many mastering enigneers?

:confused: What do software programmers have to do with ME's? There are lots of cab drivers too.

Back