The Song They Sing - new jam, too boomey?

braden_

I don't have good audio monitors. Just PC speakers, and they're in a horrible, horrible position for mixing (so is the rest of my desk) but i think between them and headphones I do okay for now (I only say that because I don't have the money to get monitors ATM). This song sounds perfectly clear at the desk and even with headphones but when I play it on my Zune or through the Xbox 360 in the living room, it sounds boomey, so I was hoping some of you could take a listen and just tell me if it comes out boomey on your setups.

Any other tips are also welcome, as always. Thanks.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=918618&songID=7777030

A couple of thoughts as I listen.
The guitars are a bit loud and boomy.
The tempo of the song seems rushed. It sounds like a ballad that would play better at a slower tempo, instead of banging out the chord changes. Add some emotional impact.
Guitar strumming never changes and gets monotonous. Needs some spots where the guitar drops out our changes to finger picking or something different.
The song needs more parts. Drums would help a lot. A little electric solo during the interlude would fit nicely. Piano would fit.
The base parts for a decent song are there. Room treatment and good monitors will help your mixes immensely.

Room treatment and good monitors will help your mixes immensely.

i can only imagine. someday when the pressure of a single income and a stay at home wife and 2 kids under 2 years wears off, it will become reality. until then, i do what i can.

thanks for the comments. i'm not sure i want to slow the song down, i somewhat like the tempo. i do think it needs more parts, i feel that way about most of my songs. i also want to rewrite the lyrics, but will more than likely not ever get around to doing it. as far as songwriting goes, lyrics are the only thing i may change. but i am glad my suspicions about the boominess aren't completely unfounded, thank you. thanks for taking the time to listen and write out a response.

Room treatment doesn't have to be expensive. I made all my own bass traps/diffusors/absorbers. Roxul rock wool is not that expensive. Mix on headphones for now until you can get some monitors, and play your mixes on everything you can find. When you think it sounds right in your car, your cheap computer speakers, your home stereo, your mp3 player, then it's probably pretty close to a good mix.

I don't find it that boomy. It's just acoustic and vocals. The guitars could definitely sound better, but it's not too bad.

I don't ever record acoustic guitars, but I think maybe changing your mic placement will yield a better sound. And of course monitors and treatments will yield a better mix.

I agree its not soo boomy. I hate recording Acoustic. So damn time consuming. The only thing worse is those damn snare brushes.

I think you're on the right track. Yes, family does come first, but man it's tough when you're lusting after new gear. Save for room treatment first, before you buy new mics. I think it will improve your sound more. Until then cover as many wall surfaces as you can with blankets, book cases, mattresses, or whatever you can find. Good luck with those two kids.

A couple things...first, I think the guitar is a little boomy, I do that all the time too. Second, I completely reject the idea that "guitar strumming gets old". And in referenec to this song, it's not true for me. What was the famous line?, something like, all you need is a guitar, 3 chords and the truth". This comment seems to be more about taste than anything, i.e., they don't like acoustic guitar songs (which is fine, but a matter of their taste possibly). Third, about the room treatment. I've always wanted to do this, but if you're on a budget, can you not move your computer studio to a great room somewhere for a day? This usually doesn't cost anything. Say, your local church, or a friends old house or business or something. I've thought about doing this on several occassions to get the sound I was after. The church is the one I always wanted to do -never have though.

Back