The Skinny on Tracking, Mixing and Mastering at high sample rates

LRosario

I was doing my usual reading research thing tonight and I came across some interesting articles from an ME in New England by the name of Jay Frigoletto.

What particularlly caught my attention was his analysis on sample rates (talk 3). I realized that some people here have varied opinions, so perhaps this will help sort out some basic concepts.

I personally have always agreed with the notion of "feeling" out frequencies that some may otherwise ignore when selecting a sample rate in thier tracking sessions.

This of course is like a review to me, but if you have your theories, let me know, man.

Articles by Jay Frigoletto

this is all great. I agree that the human ear can hear all these things.

but, i say again, take a look at the frequency chart of your microphones and speakers......how high of a frequency do they capture or reproduce???

bennychico11 said:
this is all great. I agree that the human ear can hear all these things.

but, i say again, take a look at the frequency chart of your microphones and speakers......how high of a frequency do they capture or reproduce???

Oh yes true, but consider your MIDI sampling FX and other tracks that bypass microphones all together.

LRosario said:
Oh yes true, but consider your MIDI sampling FX and other tracks that bypass microphones all together.
And how are the original samples of real-world instruments recorded? :)

G.

Back