the sirens of the lambs

yowie

Hi there,

this is a song i've been working on for a while.
I have taken it as far as I can and it is pretty much finished, but i need some fresh ears.
Hope the soundcloud link works

thanks for your time

cheers

Roland

Sophisticated composition with well arranged instruments. I like the long intro before the vocals enter.

Mix sounds good, the stereo separation and sound stage is big. I thought maybe it was a bit low end heavy, but as a quick reference, I listened to Steely Dan's 'Dirty Work'. Your overall instrument balance is similar, if not better defined.

Pop / click at 3:37, on 'play it loud at first', on the 'loud' part. Easily fixable. I think it's on the vocal.

These are mostly sampled instruments? They sound very good, what are you using for the brass? I ask, as I am in
need of some brass sections for a song I'm working on. The ones I'm using now are kinda crappy, and I'd like to replace them
with something better when I hopefully get closer to finishing it.

Enjoyed the song.

thanks for the feedback. Actually totally missed the pop. As you said easily fixed.
Thanks also for the comparison to Steely Dan. Always flattering.
It is bottom heavy i agree, but as long as it is not muddy.... Mostly a matter of taste i guess. I'll have another listen with that in mind in a couple of days when my ears are usable again.
There is actually not much sampling going on here.
The lead guitar and the mkII are physically modelled (moddart pianoteq), the acoustic guitar just a cheap old hummingbird ripoff.
The sax solo and horn section were played on a vintage 1939 rene guenot alto sax.
I think the drums and the bass are pretty much the only samples. And I am still trying to convince a bass player to replace the track for me, but given the complexity this is a big ask.

Wow, I could tell the lead guitar wasn't real , but then assumed (incorrectly) that most of it was sampled. You don't often hear real brass, at least in my Internet travels. You captured it very well. There is this sax player, that puts out his case every other day here in town. Playing all sorts of music, he's very good. Maybe I'll kidnap him. I didn't notice the acoustic guitar until a re-listen, and it's not buried, I just didn't notice it. The sampled drums were done well, as is the bass.

Yeah the guitar is a bit obvious, I'm not too happy with the sound, but i could not get a guitarist dedicated enough to do the track to my satisfaction.
What are currently the best guitar virtual instruments? any recommendations?I had no need for virtual guitars in the last few years since I either did not make music at all or I had a rehearsed band, so I am a bit out of the loop.
Good idea getting a flesh and blood sax player. They must eat too. If you want him to, he can probably write a horn arrangement as well.
I find when it comes to horns, you cant beat vibrating brass and air.

We are in opposite lands, it seems. I'm using brass virtual instruments that I don't like, while you have real brass that sounds great! You have guitar virtual instruments that you don't like, but I don't use because I am primarily a guitar player - so I can't suggest any. I'd be willing to give the guitar a go. Do you have it all written out, or are you open to any guitar ideas? And if you are not interested at all, that's fine to!

you are more than welcome to try your hand. I havent written out the guitar part as a score. There is a fair bit of improv in there. Basically I am not too concerned with what exactly you play. I really only added the guitar as an afterthought since the sax was a bit weak in spots.
You will have noticed that there are a lot of key changes, so i can get you a chord chart, but If you just want to try and come up with your own lines, that might actually work too.
I'll put up a version without guitar on soundcloud. Since it is the start of the working day here it'll be a few hours.

Here is the link for you Eric. Should be downloadable mp3

Have fun with it. There's no rush. Not like the whole thing is going anywhere in a hurry.
If you need a chord chart, i could come up with one, but it might be more confusing then helpful, but let me know if you need it.
I can offer some sax tracks or piano in return, but with the sax tracks, I am not really such a great sax player. The local busker you were talking about is probably better since he will get more practise.. And I am mainly a piano player.

Yowie , It took me about 5 seconds to realize I was going to "Love" this one. I really liked the stereo delay on the sax you put in when the song got going . I think a "little" bit of it would be nice earlier on. I may have tried some different panning on the first minute or 2 on the instruments. Afterwards , it all fell together.
Your smoky bar vocals are Fantastic ! I for sure would boost them until you start losing that laid back vibe.
This is one of the best productions that has gotten my attention in a while.. I'll go back now and read the other comments. Loved it .. mark

I like the title.

I think things overall sound good. I was about ready to ask if the saxes and stuff were real. They sounded like it. Then I read the discussion. Cool. You don't often hear that stuff on home recordings.

A couple of timing things here and there. For example, the lead and backing vocals are a bit sloppy around 2:48.

I heard that pop at 3:37. Was it a digital pop? Or was it something in the percussion? Sounded like a stick hitting a wood block. I could be wrong tho. But I hear it in other spots too.

Not my musical thing. But it was well recorded and mixed.

Yowie , It took me about 5 seconds to realize I was going to "Love" this one. I really liked the stereo delay on the sax you put in when the song got going . I think a "little" bit of it would be nice earlier on. I may have tried some different panning on the first minute or 2 on the instruments. Afterwards , it all fell together.
Your smoky bar vocals are Fantastic ! I for sure would boost them until you start losing that laid back vibe.
This is one of the best productions that has gotten my attention in a while.. I'll go back now and read the other comments. Loved it .. mark
Thanks Mark, I'll take your comments on board when i get back to the song for a final mix.

I like the title.

I think things overall sound good. I was about ready to ask if the saxes and stuff were real. They sounded like it. Then I read the discussion. Cool. You don't often hear that stuff on home recordings.

A couple of timing things here and there. For example, the lead and backing vocals are a bit sloppy around 2:48.

I heard that pop at 3:37. Was it a digital pop? Or was it something in the percussion? Sounded like a stick hitting a wood block. I could be wrong tho. But I hear it in other spots too.

Not my musical thing. But it was well recorded and mixed.
Thanks TripleM,
This is good feedback. Very helpful. I'll take note and will check the bits you mentioned. There could easily be a few digital pops here and there. Easy to fix, but also easy to miss in the mix.

Back