The Same question with different wording

Dr.Cool

I am looking into purchasing a pair of condensers. I have been eyeballing the 603s but I am now thinking about the oktava mk 012s. Also in the runnind is a Studio projects C1. I plan on recording overhead drums and acoustic guitar primarily but vocals as well provided the mic/s sound good. Currently I have a mxl 990, sm57, and an electrovoice dynamic (cant remember the model). Any and all suggestions and opinions are greatly appreciated.

I would do a search, using the following terms:

"overhead" and "603," and "overhead" and "mxl-603"

"overhead" and "studio projects"

"Overhead" and "Oktava"

And repeat the search using "vocal" in place of the "overhead."

Please, if you know this has been asked then don't ask again. It's extremely redundant and very annoying.

chessrock said:
I would do a search, using the following terms:

"overhead" and "603," and "overhead" and "mxl-603"

"overhead" and "studio projects"

"Overhead" and "Oktava"

And repeat the search using "vocal" in place of the "overhead."

My opinion is that this is an excellent suggestion.

jonnyc said:
Please, if you know this has been asked then don't ask again. It's extremely redundant and very annoying.

1st, I think this applies to practically every post. It's really, really rare someone asks something new.
2nd, he's got an mxl 990, sm57, and an electrovoice dynamic, and is looking for a pair of SDCs to add to his mic wardrobe, something along the lines of some 603s or 012s........ that's a legitimate question, well worded with details included, and one that you can choose to ignore if you find redundant and annoying. ;)

Dr. Cool - There's a wealth of threads here on this subject, do a search as suggested. Maybe someone can speak to the C1 and what it will give you vs the 990. I think most everyone should have a pair of small diaphram condensers, of which I favor the 012s on your list. There are some large diaphram capsules that you can add later as well as other patterns. The C1 had a buzz going for a while, but there are a lot of other alternatives that have come along since, and the C1 is a little too hyped in the upper mids for a lot of folks.

Perhaps something else that I should have stated is that the guitar I would be miking is fairly bassy. From what I have read about the oktavas they are "dark" and what I have read about the 603s they are "bright". Would the oktavas in combination with my guitar create a muddy sound. I would rather not eq what can be avoided through equiptment selection. Now, I don't have any experience with either of these microphones so I was hoping that people who have used them could relay their findings. I searched the forums and google before posting this but I could'nt find a direct answer to my question/s. Are the oktavas worth the extra hundred and fifty dollars? Opinions of course. I realize the all insights given are speculative.

Dr.Cool said:
Perhaps something else that I should have stated is that the guitar I would be miking is fairly bassy. From what I have read about the oktavas they are "dark" and what I have read about the 603s they are "bright". Would the oktavas in combination with my guitar create a muddy sound. I would rather not eq what can be avoided through equiptment selection. Now, I don't have any experience with either of these microphones so I was hoping that people who have used them could relay their findings. I searched the forums and google before posting this but I could'nt find a direct answer to my question/s. Are the oktavas worth the extra hundred and fifty dollars? Opinions of course. I realize the all insights given are speculative.

I ahve a similiar situation, i use a pair of 603s with a nice Gibson jumbo acoustic that can get really boomy. They record well, but i think it is mostly about placement, the 603s will record bassy if you stick them at or a bit below the sound hole. I've done nice (to me) recordings with and XY configuration, pointed at the 12th fret, and with one at the 12th and one in the over-the-shoulder technique, but you need to watch for phase issues there. A note about these, they are nearly omni, pic up everything in the room and really show it when the room sounds like crap. I have some fairly mobil acoustic traps and i have taken to surrounding the player with them to help avoid that.

Daav

The fabulous MSH-1A SDCs will work wonderfully as drum OHs and for the acoustic, and you'll still have many left over for an LDC for vox.

Back