The right setup?

sonis_youth

I want to record through a mixer into the computer and do the mixdown on the mixer. I'll be recording one track at a time. So the setup up would be mixer (yamaha/mackie or someting like that) -> audio interface (delta 44, I think) -> pc -> back to delta 44 -> back to mixer -> cd recorder/tape recorder. Would this setup work for my situation; recording one track at a time. Can I connect the outputs of on the delta to the mixer for playback? Should I have a larger interface or two delta 44's for 8 track recording? Thanks.

Yeah that will work.
Depending on how many individual tracks you will want to mix out of the box, will dictate the number of outputs your soundcard will need.
You may want to look at a Delta 1010 or similar.

Is it possible to use two delta 44's, that would be a lot cheaper and I can start out with just one. And do I need a recording program or can I use the software that come's with the soundcard?

Is it possible to use two delta 44's

I dont think so, when your playing your music back, your speakers will be routed to a specific soundcard, in which your case, you would have 2. So i dont think it would work, someone correct me if im wrong. Also, purchasing 2 would get rid of 2 PCI slots instead of one, and just be overall much hard work in the end.

Why dont you look at the M Audio 1010LT? Or if you want a break out box, the M Audio 1010?

If your budget is tight, i suggest saving up for a decent card rather than purchase one that you wont be happy with in the long run. I know its extremely tempting to buy the equipment and start recording, but it will be better in the end.

Also, Do you know what software comes with the Delta 44? When i bougt my 1010 it came with a bunch of freebie software. If its the same, yes, you can use the software.

Some programs support mulitiple soundcards...I use Samplitude and have done it...with latency issues. With two of the same soundcards though it should be pretty easy. But honestly I would say Tifstorey is right on. If you are only recording one track at a time I would highly suggest using your stock soundcard until you decide what you really need. Reading what other experienced people have done is certainly
a good idea, but in the end everyone wants something different out of their setup and starting from the ground up is the best advice I can give. You'll be surprised how well your stock soundcard performs when all other factors are correct. As long as it is at least 16 bit and full duplex. Good luck.

Back