The Rebel Soldier - Listen and get all annoyed and bitch like 15 year old.

The South shall rise again! :D

Nice twist on the song. The guitars are kinda boxy and the bass is a little muddy. Maybe scoop some mids out and that will shine the mix up. the vocals can come up more too. The hook of this song is the rebellious verses, so they need to be right up front getting people riled up. The drums sound pretty good, but they need more power and punch. This is a cool idea for a song and you punked it up awesomely. Keep playing with it. :D

Thx for feedback Greg, I'm screwing with it, but i think I'll just retack the guitars, cause i can't seem to get the tone I want.

Gayboy I was on vacation, I had to rest from your sick postings in the cave.

Thx for feedback Greg, I'm screwing with it, but i think I'll just retack the guitars, cause i can't seem to get the tone I want.

Gayboy I was on vacation, I had to rest from your sick postings in the cave.

Are you still recording the guitars direct?

yeah :(
but my friend bought a firepod and an SM57 so I'll get a chance to play around with that from time to time.

Yeah your guitar sound will improve big-time. They don't sound too bad now, but you can tell they're direct. You can make them more realistic with some careful EQ'ing, but nothing replaces and actual speaker moving air being picked up by a microphone.

Sounds better. I think the guitars and bass sound better, but the drums and vocals are still kind of weak and thin. Some parts of the vocals are right there and present enough, but then drop out of sight and become unintelligible. Maybe bring the vocals up more in the mix and smooth them out with some compression. I'm not trying to be super picky, I just really dig this and want to hear it! :D

Sounds better. I think the guitars and bass sound better, but the drums and vocals are still kind of weak and thin. Some parts of the vocals are right there and present enough, but then drop out of sight and become unintelligible. Maybe bring the vocals up more in the mix and smooth them out with some compression. I'm not trying to be super picky, I just really dig this and want to hear it! :D

I already compressed the hell outta those vocals, i gusess i'll have to automate it. What can i do bout the drums??

EDIT: I post her so people can be super picky and i can learn

PS> Im glad you like it

Cheers!

I already compressed the hell outta those vocals, i gusess i'll have to automate it. What can i do bout the drums??

EDIT: I post her so people can be super picky and i can learn

PS> Im glad you like it

Cheers!

Those drums are samples right? If so I don't know what to do about them. I'm not familiar with samples or EZDrummer or that kind of stuff. Can you still EQ them and shit? They just don't sound "big" enough. Maybe bring the guitars down some and let the vox and drums come through. :confused:

viva polska! my grandmother is from there.

i like it. my first thought was that it was a cool take on the king of the hill theme song which i like. the vocal sounds authentic.

i would comment on the drum sounds but im getting tired of the name-calling and neg rep from greg who im sure would attack anything i say.

greg i tried to help you as honestly and as well as i could.

viva polska! my grandmother is from there.

i like it. my first thought was that it was a cool take on the king of the hill theme song which i like. the vocal sounds authentic.

i would comment on the drum sounds but im getting tired of the name-calling and neg rep from greg who im sure would attack anything i say.

greg i tried to help you as honestly and as well as i could.

Dude, seriously, shut the fuck up. We were having a normal, civil discussion until you got stupid. I mentioned that your sub MAY be coloring your sound and you got pussyhurt and defensive.

Let's hear your stuff before you go trying to "help" with your smug bullshit. It better be really good.

I listened to both versions, and I do think the gits sound less thin in the 2nd version, mostly because they seem to have more low end...but they still sound overly driven...too fuzzy...they sound direct still??

Biggest problem for me is the vocal mix - It SOUNDS really upfront in some places...well, a lot of places, but I still can't understand a lot of it. I would use reverb to place it back with the band a bit, and then I would just do the tedious volume automation thing making sure you can make out EVERY WORD.

I actually dug the kinda' punk/hillbilly vibe.

Thanks for feedback everyone!!

Greg Yes the drums are programmed, but I mix them down to separate wav files so i can do pretty much anything with them (delete included:))

groovyisland Thanks dude, fire away at the drum sounds, cause i spent a good few hours programing those fuckers so all feedback is good. And if your stuff turns out crappy I'll just make fun of you.

chrisharris The second one the guitars are retracked, and now i kept the clean wav so i can mess around with it more. I'll try to turn the gain down a bit and see where that takes me. I'm still struggling to make the guitars sound half decent with amplitube.
If anyone has some good amplitube presets and wants to share, I'd be grateful.

As far as vocals, I will end up automating them. Its a lot of work as the original is a'capella so the dynamics vary greatly.

I actually dug the kinda' punk/hillbilly vibe.

My next one will be "When Johnny Comes Marching Home":D

Sounds pretty good. Def has that punkish sound.
I got nothing for you except maybe on the vox. It sounds like you have plenty of air in them and probably enough 5k too. I would mess around with a medium Q 3k in those harsher tones and see if that doesn't help a bit.
My only other thought is prallel compression with one compressor smashed and eq'd harsh the other set up about like you have it now.

Nice job!

F.S.

Back