The real deal on the DBX 266 XL?

FURAX Eric

I recently made the purchase of this unit, and I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet. I've been hearing some weird things about how it "clicks and taps" when you process bass frequencies (i.e. bass guitar, bass drum, etc.).

Does anyone know the real deal on why this occurs? Are these bad units? Or are the people just using attack / release times that are too fast? I have heard from people that say that they've never experienced the clicking and people say that they cannot get rid of it. Is there anyone that has experienced the clicking and discovered a way to get around it? (Please, I know the unit is $150, but this is beyond the scope of functionality, so no recommendations for a more expensive compressor.) =)

Um and an extraneous question I decided to throw in as well. Does a compressor work when you run it through the FX Loop in a mixer? Or does it need to actually run exclusively to the comp?

DBX 266s

Eric,
I have 2 of the units and have used them extensively over the last 2-3 years. They are limited on what they do well,as are all inexpensive compressors. Bass frequencies retrigger the sensing mechanism of the compressor because of how large the frequency sine wave is. This multiple retriggering come across as flutter or pops or sometimes distortion. The best work around is to use slower release times because a fast one will follow the bass sine wave up and down sounding horrible.
Use as little compression as possible (2-3 db) or the 266s will kill your high end. If you must compress heavily, record 2 tracks simultaneous. One with hardest compression possible and the other with none. Use the uncompressed track as your main sound and add the compressed track to add some body.
In my opinion the 266s are best used on higher frequency things like flute or voice that need a "little" taming.
Actually, having the 266s has improved my recording skills immensely because it has forced me to learn how to record explosive instruments like drums,horns and percussion using good mic placement and performance rather than using the 266s.

tmix

Oh..
Yes you can use an effects send, but the entire signal will not be processed. When you add the processed signal back with unprocessed signal you may get some nasty comb filtering(when used across the entire mix). When working with an individual instrument it wont be quite as noticable. It is best to run the total (entire) mix through the compressor if you are trying to tame the entire mix.

Yeah thanks dude. I figured it had something to do with the release times. I have only heard like the extremes of both sides, so I was wondering if the case was deffective units or what.

I don't think we need heavy compression or anything, so the 3-4 dbs will probably do just fine.

We have the DBX 2 chan and I have a JoeMeek 1 chan. Our plan was to use the 2 chan on the snare/bass drum and then use the joemeek in the fx loop for the 3 toms since they sound more similar than anything else.

Thanks a lot for the response dude, I appreciate it alot.

Back