The Project is complete!

aidan_m

Budding Rock Star!
A collab between 2 in ireland and 2 in australia...

Comments & critiques welcome!

edit: ps. mastering tomorrow, will upload the final results then!

Last edited:
Listening to the first one on headphones as I type....

Nice guitar tone, and the lyrics fit the melody nicely.
Everything sounds really good, nice tight harmonies before the second chorus.
Personal preference, Id like to see the drums more upfront, specifically the snare. Its a nice drum sound, Id like just more of it. And the snare could use more snap, crackle and pop.

Overall, very nice!

Mike

Listening to the first one on headphones as I type....

Nice guitar tone, and the lyrics fit the melody nicely.
Everything sounds really good, nice tight harmonies before the second chorus.
Personal preference, Id like to see the drums more upfront, specifically the snare. Its a nice drum sound, Id like just more of it. And the snare could use more snap, crackle and pop.

Overall, very nice!

Mike

I agree, it sounds good to me too. The drums though are more than a little bit under. I bet 3 to 5 db more wouldn't be too much. The choruses sound huge. Very cool.
ac

Wow! Great stuff. The mix sounds great although I agree that the drums could be a little louder especially the kick seems to get lost a bit in the heavier choruses.
I have to give my standard I'm listening on PC speakers disclaimer though.
You got some cool Alice in Chains type vocal harmonies going on very nice. I listened to all 4 tracks once already I'll probably be listening to these all day.
Well done! Let us know when the final versions are done and where we can get a copy!

Thanks for the replies! The masters are are in progress and the drums have been bumped up.. I'll post up when I get these finished!

When it's done we'll be distributing for free so hopefully peole will pass them around..

Last edited:
I listened (downloaded) tracks 2 and 4.
Very good job, congrats!

Track 4 (my favorite)
Great Bass/drum work - I like the drum sound, snare sounds smooth and I like it a lot...Fat bass (but not "boomy"), pretty well balanced with the drums, good vocals and guitars too. "B" part (my taste) is loud compared to the first.

Curious to listen the mastering.You have some pretty well played/recorded/mixed songs and ME will be happy with it:)

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/ciromoreau

Thanks for the replies again folks! should have the masters up tomorrow as soon as I get the other engineery type in the band to sign off on em!

On the recording process, the 4 of us used play in a band years ago, found an old gig tape from 96 with these songs so refreshed them a touch and laid down the drums in a garage in ireland... Then the vox and gtr are done in australia and sent to me via the web. All gtrs except for the lead bits in bunny and psycho are all di'd gtrs with gtr rig or amplitube added later with trackplug eq to clean things up (I loooove that plugin!!)

I'll be back with masters soon. Thanks again for taking the time to listen!

Aidan..

I listened (downloaded) tracks 2 and 4.
Very good job, congrats!

Track 4 (my favorite)
Great Bass/drum work - I like the drum sound, snare sounds smooth and I like it a lot...Fat bass (but not "boomy"), pretty well balanced with the drums, good vocals and guitars too. "B" part (my taste) is loud compared to the first.

Curious to listen the mastering.You have some pretty well played/recorded/mixed songs and ME will be happy with it:)

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/ciromoreau

on the B part. yep, gtrs were too loud there when we started mastering so went back and dropped them a bit sits better now hopefully! Wanted a bit of a grab ya by the scruff of the neck feel for the catatonic/outro bit. Hopefully it works! rearranged that whole end in protools, went from about a 4 bar outro to about 32 bars!

MASTERS are done:

Comment away. I am never opening the project again! I could be tweaking forever! Time to close the book and just enjoy the songs!

Sorry, my "no" for the mastered versions.

Mixed songs had a good potential for mastering, but what I listened now
(2º and 4º songs), is something like a narrow boost (around 4,5 khz) that makes the things worst.

Ciro

Sorry, my "no" for the mastered versions.

Mixed songs had a good potential for mastering, but what I listened now
(2º and 4º songs), is something like a narrow boost (around 4,5 khz) that makes the things worst.

Ciro

Cheers for the input.. I was happy enough with the masters, theres just a tight cut of the noisy freqs (modelled gtrs) around the 2k and 100hz and then some compression to boost the vol. Hmmm. Any other ears care to comment?

edit.. just checked the master eq for details:
combtooth at 150hz, 3k, 5k, and 12k

Last edited:
I listened to #1.
The verses sound thin, emaciated, with too much snare.
The choruses are glorious by comparison.
Good song.

Remastered!

Right people.. this is it!

I remastered after the comments..
Took off all master eq and just pushed the volumes..
Coments please?

Jimi, I play the drums on there.

im listening to this fresh from the previous ...sounds good but i think you could improve it by taking out the bass eq from the middle and sharpening up the vocal eq ....because its got what i can best describe as a muggy boxy feel ..especially on the quieter bits ...the guitar has the attack edge on the heavy bits ...just need to apply that to the rest.

im listening to this fresh from the previous ...sounds good but i think you could improve it by taking out the bass eq from the middle and sharpening up the vocal eq ....because its got what i can best describe as a muggy boxy feel ..especially on the quieter bits ...the guitar has the attack edge on the heavy bits ...just need to apply that to the rest.

So maybe a 2db broad cut around 5k? I was thinking that.

sorry ..when i said bass i meant the bass guitar....it seems to be swamping a tadd and taking definition from the vocal/guitar in that middle range ...but even so the vox and guitar especially in the qiuiter bit seems soft so it needs i would say sharpening up a bit as well.

Back