The plunge

Rodip

So I wanna take digital tracks and run em through my newly acquired Tascam TSR8 reel to reel back through to digital. I have an Evo 16. I wanna get some tape saturation going for the songs. I love old classic country, rock, pub n punk and old rock n roll.

I am soon to be getting an older analog mixer (Ramsa).

Any hints? I am new to this endeavor.

You can try using Slate's VTM (virtual tape machine). Well worth the money for their plugs. I know there are recordists/engineers/producers who do what you want to do, but it seems a bit much with all the really good plugins available. It certainly worth trying rather than monkeying around with a tape machine. Embrace digital.

I did this a couple of times, I didn't think the effort was worth the result, but I think it is pretty straight forward. I took the playback master mix to the tape input, took the output to the input, created a playback channel, turned off monitoring, recorded a slap for alignment, recorded. Once completed, I aligned the slaps and used the track to mix back into the mix.

Not sure that is what you are looking for, but it worked for me, but I didn't think the saturation added anything to the mix. IMO.

Saturation? like something that automatically makes it better? You know what a dolby 361 is? Its encoding effect is probably the best ' artificial sweetener' on the market. adds an undeniable sparkle to everything. Much more natural than oral exciters and big bottoms from Aphex. Bests Korgs Xciter and Rolands enhancer. I have a couple in my PA rig downstairs for stereo paths...brilliant machines. Only problem is what if you don't like sparkle?

361s.jpg
...lights and meter are dead(except red) still makes the encoding..used to be $100 for the two frames and $20 for a Cat22 cart. Probably a bit more now.

Last edited:
Saturation? like something that automatically makes it better? You know what a dolby 361 is? Its encoding effect is probably the best ' artificial sweetener' on the market. adds an undeniable sparkle to everything. Much more natural than oral exciters and big bottoms from Aphex. Bests Korgs Xciter and Rolands enhancer. I have a couple in my PA rig downstairs for stereo paths...brilliant machines. Only problem is what if you don't like sparkle?

View attachment 139021
...lights and meter are dead(except red) still makes the encoding..used to be $100 for the two frames and $20 for a Cat22 cart. Probably a bit more now.
That looks really cool

Back