The Options With My Mic Selection

Confusitron

I plan to begin recording this next month of July. I've all ready recorded one song (which will probably be on this forum once a band name is decided upon), but I intend to re-record that along with recording several other new songs. The first time around on recording, I just kind of winged it and did what I thought would work. This time I'd like to have some more defined methods of mic placement on instruments, cabinets, and vocals.

I would like to know of some more methods of mic positioning, which mics to use, etc. I own the following mics.

Audio-Technica AT2020 - 1
Audix OM-2 - 3
MXL MXL900 - 2
MXL MXL901 - 2

For a guitar amp, I have a Fender Twin Reverb '65. I miced it two different ways during recording, since at one point we re-recorded some of the guitar parts. The second time we recorded the amp, an MXL MXL900 was used to mic the entire cabinet from a distance (probably around two feet away from the cabinet), an MXL MXL901 was used to mic the left speaker on the cabinet between the edge and center of the speaker, and an Audix OM-2 was used to mic the right speaker on the cabinet between the edge and center of the speaker. On the recording, the OM-2 produced a muffled sound that was almost of no use, so it was turned down in the mix. The MXL MXL900 seemed to preserve the highs well and made the cabinet sound a bit more full. The MXL MXL901 brought the mids and bass quite well. I guess, for me, the recording seemed fine, but I think it could be better.

I will continue on with the other instruments later...

Thanks!

Continuation...

For the bass amp, I have a Fender BXR 200 powering a 2x15" cabinet. I used an MXL MXL990 with it's diaphragm aiming at the center of the bottom speaker (close miked), an Audix OM-2 aiming at the center of the top speaker (close miked), and I believe I used an MXL MXL991 aiming at the center of the cabinet at a distance of around 24" to mike the entire cabinet. I did nothing with direct outs on the amp. I managed to record the bassiness of the cabinet/amp, but I don't know that it was a very full sound, but the EQ probably needed to be adjusted more.

There's no point in miking each speaker.

The OM-2 is probably pretty useless for high-fidelity recording. It may be okay as a live vocal or instrument mic, though.

AGCurry said:
There's no point in miking each speaker.

The OM-2 is probably pretty useless for high-fidelity recording. It may be okay as a live vocal or instrument mic, though.
Well, I was just giving the mikes more space by putting each one on a seperate speaker. I could have done it on one.

I think I will leave the OM-2 out of the equation for the most part from now on, then.

Back