The Olden days

Massimo

Hey I'm listening to some old Cuban music and the sound is awesome, horns, percussion, acoustic guitars, fantastic vocals. I have no idea when these songs were recorded but I have a feeling it could be as far back as the 40s or 50s. My question is what kind of mics did they use back then? Amazing they could live without all this high tech stuff we have now and still produce great records.

Massimo said:
My question is what kind of mics did they use back then? Amazing they could live without all this high tech stuff we have now and still produce great records.

Do you really think this 'high tech stuff' has gotten any better, (sound)qualitywise? Do you think a Neumann of the last ten years sound better than the Neumanns from the fifties?

Do you think the engineers of these days are more skilled than the engineers of the fifties and sixties/seventies?

The answer is no.

Now that you've discovered the quality of the old recordings, try to find some Bill Putnam Sr recordings on vinyl. Frank Sinatra's 'It was a very good year' was recorded by Bill Putnam on april 22 1965 and the orchestra sounds absolutely awesome, in fact it sounds a lot better than the orchestra on the Diana Krall recordings (IMHO).

Recently there was a thread about the one inch two track Ampex ATR102 at gearslutz in which Slipperman said that it makes anything else sound like a cassette player. And Slipperman knows his shit (I am one of the few who know who Slipperman is). The Ampex ATR102 is a machine from the sixties.

If you wanna know more, go here: http://www.audiomedia.com/archive/features/uk-0599/uk-0599-dougsax/uk-0599-dougsax.htm

noisedude said:
Go on then .... tell us ....

He is a rocksolid and very experienced engineer with three big rooms somewhere in the USA.

I'm not going to tell his name, you have to ask him by PM.

I wasn't really expecting you to! I trust your judgement anyway - you probably remember it all from the first time anyway which puts you in a great position to compare now with the 50s!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Back