The Old JoeMeek VC6 MeekBox

whyseye

I just got one of these in pretty clean condition....
...I've used the search function, but most of the posts about this unit are (obviously) older posts, so please forgive me for bringing up old stuff, but...

...is anyone using one of these currently? If so, do you have any little words of wisdom about the unit (quirks, foibles, strengths, dangers, etc.)?

I figure that I'll get use out of the preamp and compressor portions for VO work...not too sure about the exciter, though....maybe some application for bass?

From what I can see, it went V3 (VC3?), VC6, VC6Q, SixQ....but I think that the VC6Q has an EQ section instead of the exciter....?

Was the VC6Q made in England too?

How do you like the preamp and compression on yours?

Yes mine is made in England. I got mine sometime before they moved the manufacturing to China.

It's a good preamp and I have used it by itself on things. The compressor is a Meek and it's got a sound of it's own. I like the sound but the key is to tweak the thing to taste. Works good on Bass tracks too. The thing about Meek is it;s a colored sound more than transparent sound...but I find it very useful.

I don't mind a little bit of coloration if it's sonically pleasing...and I already have a cleaner option with a DMP-3, so it's nice to have a different sound to play with now, as well...

....so....since I don't have the manual, and the instructions that I find online are for the VC6Q and newer....

...what is the exciter actually supposed to do? Is it like a Sonic Maximizer? What is the actual rationale/intent of the exciter?

iirc i believe it is kind of like a sonic maximzer in that it adds frequencies/harmonics that aren't there to begin with. kind of like controlled distortion.

i had a joe meek brick which i liked and used for several recordings last year (it was sold and replaced :o) and ted fletcher explained it in the manual in non-technical terms as possibly helping things like vocals or guitars to cut through when used with discretion, but possibly making a track sound terrible when used in excess.

joe meek compression is kind of a signature thing. the older ted fletcher units (which it sounds like you have), are not very flexible (opto compressors tend not to be anyway), but have a distinctive, colored (as therage! noted) sound as does the preamp. i've heard/read a lot of folks refer to it as a very rock and roll-friendly kind of sound and i'm inclined to agree based on my experience with a couple of the older meek units.

at the very least, if you don't like it those meeks tend to hold their value decently.

Thanks koj...
...I would seldom use outboard compression (at least for VO) unless I were going for a very specific sound anyway, since many VO buyers prefer completely dry tracks, but it's good to know that I have those sonic options in my toybox if I need them...

...but since you mention it - why are optocompressors more limited than the non-opto variety?

i'm no expert by any means, but i believe it's inherent to the design. since it's based on a light source, the compression is limited by the characteristics of the light source (which in turn tend to influence the attack and release characteristics of the compression). i know that there are a number of optical units now have switchable light sources built in-- including the electro harmonix blackfinger and the much pricier ny-2a and some of ted fletcher's newer designs.

once you have enough stuff in your collection that you don't need and are looking to move some of it to upgrade, i'd recommend checking out a safesound p-1 channel strip. the compression/limiting in that might be transparent and sophisticated enough (the predictive limiter is very cool) to suit your needs... though i imagine you have very good mic technique and can probably get by without it.

From what I can see, it went V3 (VC3?), VC6, VC6Q, SixQ....but I think that the VC6Q has an EQ section instead of the exciter....?

there were also a number of iterations of the vc1, which i believe started with the vc (voice channel) brick and progressed through the various incarnations and revisions of the vc1.

eventually the original joe meek brand (run by ted fletcher electroacoustics) was sold to pmi for the development of the more modern units, which are different, but very good in their own right by all reports

once you have enough stuff in your collection that you don't need and are looking to move some of it to upgrade, i'd recommend checking out a safesound p-1 channel strip. the compression/limiting in that might be transparent and sophisticated enough (the predictive limiter is very cool) to suit your needs... though i imagine you have very good mic technique and can probably get by without it.

...I would trade everything I have for one right now....

...know anybody who has one, and is looking for a bunch of cheap basses and a fire damaged DMP-3? :D

they don't pop up very often, but i got one (which is long since gone :o) for $475 shipped a while back.
perhaps start selling some stuff you don't need on craigslist or something and put the $ in a piggy bank :)
i'll let you know if i see any used ones pop up though.

Back