The official "does my snare suck" thread!

pod4477

Sup guys? I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am using samples for my drums and i was curious what you guys think of my snare. Heres a few questions i would love answered

1. Is the tuning good for the style of music?

2. What does my snare need EQ wise?

3. Is it loud enough or too loud? (this ones been buggin me)

4. Should i use another sampled snare instead and where can i find it?

The link for the song is right here:
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=5685

Plus if theres any tips or pointers EQ or volume or panning wise for crash's, Hihat or kick, feel free to throw them at me. I think my hihat is a little to middy or hi pitched.

Thanks for all your help guys!

I hate you. :-) I've been trying for this quality recording for years.

How much of the whole mix is sampled, and how much is actually recorded?

Per your question, I think the snare is great for the style. My taste would be to pull it back just slightly in volume, and maybe a touch of treble might be in order, but it does sound great right where it is.

Thank man. A good mix takes time. Idk i spent like 2 years workin on my samples and everything. All the drums are sampled and that is it. Everything else is real. Thanks i do like the snare for this style too. Thanks for your input.

I think the snare is way too loud. Try bringing it down about 3 - 6 dB. As I listen on, the snare starts to fit after the intro but still a bit loud. It sounds to me like it's just too far out front int he mix, about the smae level as the vocals. So I think bringing it down a bit in the bulk of the song, and then about 4 dB in the intro. The only sample that I'm not a big fan of is the open hi-hat you use after the intro, sounds a little too fake. Good luck.

ya i def. lowered it. And i worked on the open hihat too. I always hated that thing but i only use it a bit so maybe if my new fix of it still doesnt sound good i can resample it.

sounds cool man,
i dont hear anything wrong with it.
that is one hell of a file name though
howitfeelslowercrashlowernewkickmixdown16bitmastertheoneafterthebestbuymixaudition.mp3
hehehehehe

nice work

I feel the snare has a nice body, and the verb seems good as well, but it's lacking highs. Should be EQable. Just add a bandpass boost somewhere in the highs, wherever you feel like it.

On a side note, I also think the kick has way too much click.

ya man i do like this snare. Thanx for the EQ help and ya i fixed the kick click problem. There was way to much there. How do i do a bandpass boost? Im running on audition.

Last edited:
Back