The Nobleman's Manor (Instrumental) Piano, Guitars etc

Mistral

RyosaMusic
This is a piece I first wrote in 2002, I thought it would be fun to show you the progression both musically and in production since that time (I re-recorded it from scratch and made some minor changes in the writing)

I pictured some rich nobleman's house in "ye olden days" when I wrote it, perhaps a ballroom or a grand lobby with an extravagant staircase, chandelier and the whole nine yards. Of course, the twist is they didn't have electric guitars and rock drums back in those days, but somehow that just felt like something I had to do, being the metalhead I am. XD

First, listen to the old version:

Then the new one - which you can hear either via direct link, or find it on my Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/RyosaMusic/233055237638

Of course, I'm sure there are a couple of things yet to fix, I always have my nits, if anything really jumps out at you then let me know. But I'm also interested in what you think of the new vs the old.

(...)Of course, the twist is they didn't have electric guitars and rock drums back in those days, but somehow that just felt like something I had to do, being the metalhead I am. XD(...)

You're from Sweden, what else you should be \m/ :D \m/

I listened to both versions. New version have nice arrangements that' clear to everyone. What it lacks is the "power" of the old song. Don't get me wrong, that's a personal opinion but the old one have this big fat snare driving the music and this one is more delicate in the playing and the composition. Maybe if the drums have the same intensity... snare is too weak now and the kick could be more heavy.

What's your guitar gear?

Heya.. thanks :)

I certainly hear what you're saying about the intensity, and I guess it was somewhat of an intentional choice to change it, to make it more delicate as you say.. it's funny but every time I posted an instrumental here on these forums there would be an inevitable agreement that my rock drums were too heavy for the arrangements, that is not really my motivation but it was in the back of my head, so it's funny to hear "heavier!" now. :lol: Just goes to show you it's all very individual (as you said.)

The other two things are that I felt the old version was too repetitive in its dynamics. And, something I can't explain too much yet but there is going to be a story to go along with this song, and I wanted it to tell more of a story musically than the old one did. :)

My guitar gear is nothing special: A washburn X-series directly into my m-audio card, running Overloud TH1 as the "amp". Was it good or bad in your opinion? There are a couple of weak spots in the playing I want to fix, and maybe add a little solo-ish run or something for variety.

(...)A washburn X-series directly into my m-audio card, running Overloud TH1 as the "amp". Was it good or bad in your opinion? There are a couple of weak spots in the playing I want to fix, and maybe add a little solo-ish run or something for variety.
So that was... amp simulators aren't a great choice for distorted guitars, especially for leads. Do you have a Direct box (DI)? If not, that's a good gear that can save your day. Pass the signal thru the DI (better if it have an amp simulator) and then to your sound card. the sound will be more "real" than the software. The, you can re-amp this signal with a friend's amp if you don't have one. No matter how cheap is your amp, it will definitive;y will sound better if miked against a plug-in sound. I even heard of some guy recording pocket amps with SM57; believe it or not, they got a huge sound from those devils.

I think amp sims can do a pretty good job, and I have got good results with them, but I didn't put so much time into the lead sound in this.

Back