The New Tone Thread

Speaking of weed, a few days ago a buddy of mine dropped by, & he's been a smoker all his life, so he pulls out about a half a joint & gives it to me....I hadn't smoked any herb for about 10 years now, if not longer, & I'm just here to tell you, I took 3 big hits off that thing, held it in my lungs as long as possible, and......:eek:.holy fuck!!!!!! That was some really, really good pot man, of course it'd been years since I'd done that, but holy fuck, 3 hits??? I remember when I was smoking daily I could smoke a whole joint by myself, but not this shit...Dunno what it was called, but the potheads around here have definitely stepped up their game....

FWIW, the shit we get around here usually ain't much compared to what's in the cities, most of the weed is grown around here, & if there's any powder it's usually stepped on so much by the time it gets around here, it ain't worth a fuck...

Wait a minute, did you just fall off the wagon? :(

Wait a minute, did you just fall off the wagon? :(
Technically, yes I did man, but it's not like I'm gonna go back to the shit I was doing before....I don't see it as "falling off the wagon", more like "touching my toe to the ground while it's still rolling"....:). No worries though dude, I'm not going back to all that shit, ever...

Holy fuck though, I know my tolerance for that shit is gone, but even if I could smoke it everyday (which I honestly have no desire for), I couldn't afford the junk food for the munchies that shit gave me....:laughings:.

Technically, yes I did man, but it's not like I'm gonna go back to the shit I was doing before....I don't see it as "falling off the wagon", more like "touching my toe to the ground while it's still rolling"....:). No worries though dude, I'm not going back to all that shit, ever...

Holy fuck though, I know my tolerance for that shit is gone, but even if I could smoke it everyday (which I honestly have no desire for), I couldn't afford the junk food for the munchies that shit gave me....:laughings:.

There was a piece on Radio 4 news last week that Cannabis now is much stronger in its THC content.
It seems there are two basic components to weed, THC, which gives you the hit (and is arguably a bit addictive) and another (the name of which escapes me!) that gives some of the medical benefits that the drug seems to give. This latter component is non-addictive and in fact (they said) mitigates to some extent the bad effects of THC.

The concern is that the new, hotter stuff is causing more bad effects and people getting seriously hooked which (again they said!) did not happen 20 years ago. And 20yrs ago is when I smoked a bit of shit. Never a lot and only socially, I never went out and bought any but if offered I would buy if I had some spare cash, which wasn't often because I was pretty broke most of the time being fucked up with booze.

I have not had a drink now in some ten years. I am no saint! Doc said "stop drinking or die!" I did the former.

I have no great objection to people using Cannabis except it usually involves tobacco and that IS bloody addictive and far more harmful in the long run than the odd spliff.

Dave.

I appreciate the info Dave, but this was just a one-time thing man, not going back to where I was a few years ago, not again...

My tolerance is gone, but I could still tell the weed I smoked the other night was killer, no doubt, but it'll probably be another 10 years before I decide to do that again, if not longer...:).

Looks like our re-amp buddy has abandoned ship on us too Dave....who would've thunkit???:laughings:

Your wagon needs side rails Minerman.
Yep, modern hydro means the THC that gets folk whacked & often paranoid is very concentrated and the THCish thing that gets folks whacked and helps a whole pile of other stuff in your system from glaucoma to poor appetite, (all the stuff Peter Tosh sings about) is almost gone.
Sad.

lol@ pot "info"

Yep .... modern pot is awesome ....... simply means that all you need is a single toke and you're there.
Don't have to put so much smoke in your lungs.
People who get all over-stoned and paranoid do so for the same reason Americans seem to do everything else ..... they're stupid.
Can't get their minds around the idea that you don't have to consume everything in reach.

Funny story which would be true if I smoked 'erb which I categorically deny ;) .... a few years back at a club I was playing, the manager came up after the gig and said, "Someone told me you might be able to get me stoned."
I said "Sure ..... let's go outside"
I gave her a hit off the one-hitter and told her, "One hit of this is all you need" and she says "What do you think I am ... a lightweight? Give me another."
Big smile from me and "Ok" ..... :D
She takes that and then, "One more please" ...... "Sure thing ..... here ya' go" I says with an even bigger smile ...... I'm not selfish and I did try to tell her.
So I go finish packing up gear and head home.

She told me the next week that she stood behind the bar for awhile ..... was unable to do anything and then told a barback to watch things and went in her office and stayed there for the next couple of hours! lol.

:laughings:

In other news I've suddenly written a song that isn't space music and has words and shit.
I don't know what i'm gonna do with the thing but after I got home from last nights gig all of a sudden I wanted to record it so I sat up all night doing a rough recording to flesh it out and I'll post it today if it doesn't outright suck.
It's not rock and there will be no tones worth learning about but I think it's kinda funny.
Actually makes me wonder what greg would do with it.

Last edited:
My buddy grows and every April 20th a bunch of his friends will stop by (they don't imbibe often, so low tolerance). And every year he warns them, take 1 pull off the bowl and wait 15 mins. If you want another, go for it. They all ignore this advice, finish a couple of bowls and all proceed to sleep peacefully for the next couple of hours.

It happens to me too at gigs. Sometimes in reverse. Guy offers up his stuff, warns us, and then he damn near passes out while the drummer and I go up and finish the set.

So, listen to what the guy says that has the pot.

So, listen to what the guy says that has the pot.
yep ...... he's the one that knows.

For some reason 'erb gets me wound up.
I really react differently than other folks do.
I don't get sleepy and sluggish. And I don't wander around forgetting what I was doing.

Dunno why but for instance packing gear ........ I'm focused and done extremely quickly.
People say I come into an empty stage ..... there's a blur of activity and suddenly there's a band set up.
And the same thing at closing time ...... a blur and all the cords are wrapped ..... put in the proper places and everything's in the truck.

friend of mine in BR that I've known a long time absolutely HATES 'erb and stoned people but when he's ranting about it he will say that there is one guy he knows that seems to be affected differently and gets more productive under the influence.

Maybe something different in my brain chemically?

I don't know and this is all hypothetical anyways.

True that.
I ate a brownie that a friend made and I ended up throwing up and was close to passing out for about four hours. I later took another one and cut it into fourths and even one of those kept you high for twelve hours. Never again.
It's like cocaine is all baby powder and sugar now but mary J has been steroided up the ass.

yep ...... he's the one that knows.

For some reason 'erb gets me wound up.
I really react differently than other folks do.
I don't get sleepy and sluggish. And I don't wander around forgetting what I was doing.

Dunno why but for instance packing gear ........ I'm focused and done extremely quickly.
People say I come into an empty stage ..... there's a blur of activity and suddenly there's a band set up.
And the same thing at closing time ...... a blur and all the cords are wrapped ..... put in the proper places and everything's in the truck.

friend of mine in BR that I've known a long time absolutely HATES 'erb and stoned people but when he's ranting about it he will say that there is one guy he knows that seems to be affected differently and gets more productive under the influence.

Maybe something different in my brain chemically?

I don't know and this is all hypothetical anyways.

Everyone reacts differently and the strains have been modified so much that once your learn what works best for you it easy to get stuff that doesn't put you right to sleep (unless that's what you're after). I find I'm more focused when breaking down as well but that might be the adrenaline from having just performed, my hastiness to get out of the bar I'm in and my desire to make it to the dive bar for last call. So I suppose I can't really thank the pot for that. Eating it does, however, alleviate much of my back, hip and knee pains. So maybe I should go get a card:laughings:.

Hmmm, I don't do it anymore. I gave it up for good when I started boxing - I'd actually get the shakes after very intense exercise if I had been smoking the day before. I can't imagine many smokers are into intense exercise so its probably not a symptom that gets reported often.

Long gone are the uni days of bonging all afternoon, having some snacks and a snooze, waking up then just firing up the bong again!

I'm 46 and I still play ice hockey (in a decent league and against a bunch college kids) and a bunch of the guys I skate with smoke too. The shakes were most likely from the workout and less likely from the weed. But then I'm not a doctor. Vap is the best way to go and even better if you use wax or oil rather than an actual bud. Much easier on the lungs, you end using far less and there's minimal smell (only other users will actually know what you're smoking because the scent is so faint). The down side is it's expensive and tough to find. Me, I'm a one hitter guy (like Lt. Bob). Easy, small, just enough to keep you going and not enough to get in any real trouble if you get caught with it.

I'll have to post some tones soon to get thread back on track.

Yeah, we could continue this in the "Tone Threaders" Thread to stop spamming ourselves!

IMG_20150609_181014.jpghere's a pic of the cab my new(ly acquired) greenbacks came in - I think it looks nice. The seller said it was a Mojotone cab

Edit - the picture is rotated sideways on my screen for some reason - clearly we need to stop talking about dope

not really a tone clip ..... more of a song that's been in my head forever.
I wrote this in my head in about 5 minutes while driving one day.
The words came out complete in a single stream of consciousness moment.

And that's basically where it sat ..... a few times trying to record it came to nothing and for some reason last night after a gig I felt like staying up all night and this is what resulted.

It's NOT a finished product nor an attempt to be one.
It's more 'proof of concept' to decide how I might approach it ....... I always thought it would be a country-ish song if I ever got around to recording it but it turned out like this.

I think this might be a rare case of a song I put some time into getting a good recording of ...... in the meantime I thought it was sorta funny so I'm sharing.

Attachments

• KAMPA _0456.mp3
    4.5 MB · Views: 25
LYRICS:
Driving along .... writing this song .
Look at the trees and the oh-so-blue sky
These kinds of things are why it'll suck when I die

Watching the birds ... petting my dogs
Breathe in the air take in all the smells
Life is so good .... it's sure gonna suck when I die

And my whole life's been so much better, than any man could ever hope
I've played with people you've all seen on tv ..... and smoked dope with most of those
And I've had dogs I'll miss forever, and a wife who thrills me so
I sure pray that I'll have lots of time to love her before I go

I drink down a Monster ..... that's my pick-me-up
Go throw my amp and my ax in the truck
And head off to gig for probably the ten thousandth time
Just one more reason that it's gonna suck when I die

solo

The dogs are excited ..... I guess momma's home
We'll sip wine on the deck as the day lingers on
Our lives are so blessed, we're having a wonderful time
So that's why I'm saying it's sure gonna suck when I die
I don't mean to complain .... but it's gonna suck when I die.

here's a pic of the cab my new(ly acquired) greenbacks came in - I think it looks nice. The seller said it was a Mojotone cab

Edit - the picture is rotated sideways on my screen for some reason - clearly we need to stop talking about dope

I saw that cab on Craigslist. I've been watching it. I'm glad it finally went to a good home.

Bob: Pretty cool little song man, I bet you do a killer Barry White thing....Not my kinda music, but still I can appreciate the effort you put into making it all happen dude...

On the pot thing, lol, I stirred up a big 'ol mess didn't I???? Lol....FWIW, when I used to smoke a lot, it hopped me up too, it gave me energy & that's what I liked about it...The other night was just a one-time thing, I just can't go back to smoking that shit all day every day because, 1) every job I know of gives drug tests, & 2) I'm just not "that guy" anymore...

Antichef: Nice looking cab dude, I bet it sounds great...

Love the song Bob - I like happy music and there was only a passing reference to dope. Great playing and tone on the leads

Back