The New Tone Thread

I find a lot of early 90s punk sounds quite shit when I look back at it now. Actually quite poppy and cheesy. I still like ...and Out Come The Wolves and Fugazi though.

JDOD: Just listen to Greg dude, he won't steer you wrong in the recording world, at all....He's helped me more with my guitar tones than anyone else at all, period....There's a wealth of information in this thread, you might have to read through to find it all, but I've learned more here about recording amps than I would've anywhere else....great thread....

One more shift guys, & I get 5 big days off!!! WHOOO!!!! See you all after work tonight!!!!!

I find a lot of early 90s punk sounds quite shit when I look back at it now. Actually quite poppy and cheesy. I still like ...and Out Come The Wolves and Fugazi though.

It is all subjective. There is no definitive answer to "the best punk album after 1990". I just never really thought of Manic Street Preachers as much of a "punk" band.

I don't think they are either really. They only did that one album which sounded like that.

Of course it's subjective. That's one of the reasons it's worth discussing

It is all subjective. There is no definitive answer to "the best punk album after 1990". I just never really thought of Manic Street Preachers as much of a "punk" band.

They have some clear punk influences. I'd have described their first album as punky, as compared to anything subsequent to that.

They sound to me like pretty typical brit "alternative" rock. In a way the punk influence is there because lots of post-punk brit rock just has that kind of sound to it. It's just very british. Rock that sounds very british can't not have sort of a "punk" feel to it. That's not a bad thing, it's very cool. It's a better trait than all american rock sounding like fucking nickelback or the lame ass foo fighters..

I know I'm not a great guitarist or anything, but if I suck it's not gonna be because of my equipment. Good players sound good on anything. I need to know that my equipment isn't adding to my suckage. :laughings:
yeah, and I've told you before you're too critical of your own playing ..... of course, good players always are ...... but the real key to being a good player is to NOT playing any shitty stuff.
I'd rather leave an open spot than play a wrong note.

You do that ...... you play to your strengths and avoid playing bad stuff.
That's what a good player does.

And really, not playing wrong stuff is more important than how good the stuff you do play is.

To this day that's how I convince people I'm good ....... I just stand there looking wise and not playing!

:laughings:

Yeah, I like that. I'm good by not playing shitty. I need to get that on a t-shirt. :D

I get it though. I saw this one band, the guitar player was clearly an EVH disciple. No prob, Eddie was an innovator and considered one of the all-time greats, right? This guy had the striped guitar and everything, and in true guitar hero fashion, he broke into his own "Eruption" solo break between songs. It was a fucking mess. An absolute dumpster fire. That song is way too famous to be butchered like that. You better nail that one good or you look dumb. I actually felt bad for the guy. On one hand I wanted to give him props for putting himself out there, all exposed and playing bad, but it was just so facepalming bad. He didn't even get any sympathy applause. It was crickets. So bad. So so bad. I would NEVER do something like that. :laughings:

it was just so facepalming bad. He didn't even get any sympathy applause. It was crickets. So bad. So so bad. I would NEVER do something like that. :laughings:

owwww ! ..... that hurts to even think about. :D

No ..... me either ....... when I have something coming up of importance I'll obsessively practice it and listen to it over and over and over and over for days or weeks.

I hate not doing well.
Something else about me though ...... I'm a live player ..... that's my thing ..... I don't really record well .... I mean, it's ok but it's not where I shine.
Live is where my thing really happens and it's so hard to ever capture that. Kinda irritating really but some people are better live and some are better in the studio and though I can do some cool things in the studio, I've never really captured whatever it is I do that gets me gig offers.

owwww ! ..... that hurts to even think about. :D

No ..... me either ....... when I have something coming up of importance I'll obsessively practice it and listen to it over and over and over and over for days or weeks.

I hate not doing well.
Something else about me though ...... I'm a live player ..... that's my thing ..... I don't really record well .... I mean, it's ok but it's not where I shine.
Live is where my thing really happens and it's so hard to ever capture that. Kinda irritating really but some people are better live and some are better in the studio and though I can do some cool things in the studio, I've never really captured whatever it is I do that gets me gig offers.

I kind of wish I was better live. I dumb things down so I don't fuck them up. I don't have the musical vocabulary to go free-forming my way through things. I have to know the part and play it the same way every time. On the plus side, there's not much room for improvisation with the music I play. You just play it the way it is. Play it right and it will sound good. :D

I kind of wish I was better live. I dumb things down so I don't fuck them up. I don't have the musical vocabulary to go free-forming my way through things. I have to know the part and play it the same way every time. On the plus side, there's not much room for improvisation with the music I play. You just play it the way it is. Play it right and it will sound good. :D

I know what you mean. I tend to play to the expectation but every now and then go out on a limb and improv a lick or try and syncopate a chord for a measure or something. I'm a decent guitar player but not a god by any means. I guess I just don't play shitty in other words. Any ways, by just going out on a limb every now and then, if I do screw things up, well it was just a hiccup, not a constant.

On one hand I wanted to give him props for putting himself out there, all exposed and playing bad, but it was just so facepalming bad. He didn't even get any sympathy applause. It was crickets. So bad. So so bad. I would NEVER do something like that. :laughings:
everybody needs to do this once. Not eruption - jeez. But the crickets. Essential.

My defining moment was a spazzy post-punky original played in front of a bunch of farmers in Logan, Iowa. Followed by the lone slow clap of our own sound guy. Barely got out alive.

On a totally different tangent.
I was watching a doco about Buddy Holly (produced by McCartney) & looking closely at his playing.
In the rock'n tracks he's a down stroke player.
I wonder what he'd have looked like in torn jeans, T shirt and leather jacket?

On a totally different tangent.
I was watching a doco about Buddy Holly (produced by McCartney) & looking closely at his playing.
In the rock'n tracks he's a down stroke player.
I wonder what he'd have looked like in torn jeans, T shirt and leather jacket?

or a plaid flannel shirt unbuttoned with a t-shirt underneath

Back