The New Tone Thread

I think good gear is definitely more important for hacks and frauds like me than it would be for really good players. I need the help of quality. It's almost impossible to screw up a Les Paul into a Plexi. For good players I think it's more about dependability and whatever mood they're in for that day.

Exactly dude, I need all the help I can get because I'm just a hack...I mean, yeah I can play a little, but honestly, I'm just a hack...lol...

The 1/4" jacks arrived today, but I don't have time to put 'em in the cab...Maybe tonight when I get in from work...Plus, I didn't get my ass outta bed & go get my tires put on, so I'm gonna have to do that in the next day or two...

Back to the good gear thing, my tones have improved by leaps & bounds since I've finally started buying some good gear, instead of just getting what's cheap (like the Blackstar amp I had....bought it because it was cheap...)...

Still haven't heard back from the guy with the 4x12/65's...

Off to work in a few, I'll try to fix my cab tonight, & if I get around to it, I'll post some pics...

wifey is out of town all next week ..... the plan is to see if I can find my muse and have anything left in me creative-wise. I'm not sure I do but I'm gonna give it a shot so I'm spending THIS week getting my studio cleaned and set-up so it's easy to move around in. First thing I did was set up what my recording rig will be. And I'm getting all my rack gear hooked up to the patchbay.
I think this guitar rig should handle any possible sound I'm looking for!

Attachments

• recording rig.jpg
    recording rig.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 41
  • recording left.jpg
    recording left.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
crap ..... they're too big and I can't figure out how to delete them!

edit: that was more of a PIA than it should have been but I got them fixed ........ they were HUGE!!! :D

Last edited:
Ah, the 6100 makes an appearance!
yep ..... I think I'm gonna make it my main studio amp unless someone offers me money for it but I ain't giving it away.
back when we were REALLY in trouble I would have sold it for 600 bucks but really, 600 would be gone almost instantly and then I'd have nothing.

And wifey specifically doesn't want me to sell ANY of my gear so that's a pretty cool wife!
The 6101 is really versatile with great cleans and good rock sounds.
I figure between it and the Mark V I have it covered and I'll mic them both up so it'll simply be a matter of picking one channel or the other ...... or maybe both!

yep ..... I think I'm gonna make it my main studio amp unless someone offers me money for it but I ain't giving it away.
back when we were REALLY in trouble I would have sold it for 600 bucks but really, 600 would be gone almost instantly and then I'd have nothing.

And wifey specifically doesn't want me to sell ANY of my gear so that's a pretty cool wife!
The 6101 is really versatile with great cleans and good rock sounds.
I figure between it and the Mark V I have it covered and I'll mic them both up so it'll simply be a matter of picking one channel or the other ...... or maybe both!

Marshall and Mesa will cover just about everything.

I wanna hear em both. Throw a mic in front of that shit. :)

Cool Bob, can't wait to hear some toans from your amps....Looks like you've got a shit-load of albums too man...

Got the 1/4" jacks & soldering station today, might tear into the cab tonight, but I have to go get those tires in the morning, heard on the radio tonight, we're expecting 4-6 inches of snow this weekend....hope not, but if it does, it does....

Cool Bob, can't wait to hear some toans from your amps....Looks like you've got a shit-load of albums too man...

Got the 1/4" jacks & soldering station today, might tear into the cab tonight, but I have to go get those tires in the morning, heard on the radio tonight, we're expecting 4-6 inches of snow this weekend....hope not, but if it does, it does....
It's still 85 degrees down here. :D

I note the nice little vinyl corner. It's VERY trendy at present and huge amounts are being paid for old plastic but I'm not selling any of mine. Folks on line keep yabbering on about rarity & monetary value & don't even play the things. I saw dude the otehr day with 10 copies of The Wall - what's that about. And another who heard their 1st Beatls album last week and has purchased 11 since then.
I've not had a hankering for a Mesa amp - but then I don't listen to much that uses them. I may need to broaden my listening horizons. Any suggestions for listening to Mesa sounds?

Ok....finally got around to replacing the 1/4" jacks on my cab...I actually bought a little soldering station, so now I can actually solder shit a little better than half-assed, without burning my fingers off....:D.

I'm gonna put my stock p'up back in my strat this weekend too, I've got a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge position, & I personally think it sucks...Putting the stock h'bucker back in, new strings, intonation, gonna get her back into shape...

I almost pulled the trigger on a WGS ET-65 last night, but backed out at the last minute...Still might do that this weekend, that would be 4 different speakers in my "bastard" cab for 4 different tonal possibilities...

Gonna crash out, been up for almost 24 hours now, will most likely sleep most of the day tomorrow...

I note the nice little vinyl corner. It's VERY trendy at present and huge amounts are being paid for old plastic but I'm not selling any of mine. Folks on line keep yabbering on about rarity & monetary value & don't even play the things. I saw dude the otehr day with 10 copies of The Wall - what's that about. And another who heard their 1st Beatls album last week and has purchased 11 since then.
I've not had a hankering for a Mesa amp - but then I don't listen to much that uses them. I may need to broaden my listening horizons. Any suggestions for listening to Mesa sounds?

That's an interesting question. I can't think of any band or player that is synonymous with MESA. I mean, tons and tons of modern corporate rock Creed/Nickelback type bands use Mesas, but that's not really doing Mesa justice.

Wait, I know. NOFX. Punk band. They play Mesas.

Ok....finally got around to replacing the 1/4" jacks on my cab...I actually bought a little soldering station, so now I can actually solder shit a little better than half-assed, without burning my fingers off....:D.

I'm gonna put my stock p'up back in my strat this weekend too, I've got a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge position, & I personally think it sucks...Putting the stock h'bucker back in, new strings, intonation, gonna get her back into shape...

I almost pulled the trigger on a WGS ET-65 last night, but backed out at the last minute...Still might do that this weekend, that would be 4 different speakers in my "bastard" cab for 4 different tonal possibilities...

Gonna crash out, been up for almost 24 hours now, will most likely sleep most of the day tomorrow...

Haha, go to bed.

Did you verify that you got your ohms right? I'm sure you did, but you never know. Stick a speaker cable on each side and measure across the tip and sleeve.

Ok, after about 5-6 hours of sleep, I feel like a new man...lol.....Measured the speaker jacks with the meter (speaker cable plugged in), & I got it right dude...I knew this already, but it is cool to actually see the meter tell me so...lol...

One thing I can say about the Chupacabra, I love that thing with the Greenback speaker...I mean, it's great with any of the speakers I've tried with it, but the Greenback just stands out to me...So, I think that'll be my "go-to" speaker for the Chupa...I'm gonna do some fucking around with both amps today, & I'll post some clips later...

Haven't started on the strat yet, but I'll get around to it in a little while...Not going anywhere this weekend, so about all my time will be here fucking with my gear....:).

Thnaks Greg,
I'll listen to NOFX with an ear to the guitar tone for a bit.

Yeah their modern stuff is all Mesa.

I just can't think of anyone that's really known for using Mesas. They're great amps, and tons of people use them, but there aren't many legendary player/amp combos that come to mind. Like there are tons of Marshall dudes. Kossoff, Hendrix, Randy Rhoads, Slash, EVH, Malmsteen, guys like that, they're synonymous with Marshall. Mesas....I just can't think of any.

well .... the Brothers used Mesas ..... ummm, Santana ..... he's gone back to them.
The stones used them for a while.

well .... the Brothers used Mesas ..... ummm, Santana ..... he's gone back to them.
The stones used them for a while.

Yeah tons of people use them. They're great amps, I'm not knocking them. My point is.....who is just known for using Mesas? Like which player is just synonymous with Mesa? Everyone can picture Hendrix holding a Strat in front of Marshall stacks. Who's that guy for Mesa?

Yeah tons of people use them. They're great amps, I'm not knocking them. My point is.....who is just known for using Mesas? Like which player is just synonymous with Mesa? Everyone can picture Hendrix holding a Strat in front of Marshall stacks. Who's that guy for Mesa?
I know you weren't knocking them ..... and you're right about no one being known for their mesa use.
I think the only guy that's well known for using them would be Santana ..... all his early stuff with that long singing sustain is Boogies and he even is responsible for the name 'Boogie' so he's about it.
And he's such a trippy douche it's hard to think about anything but that when you think of Santana. :D

Hmmm, Santana huh? Not a good look for Mesa IMO. I'm not a fan of his sound.

I remember a local hard rock/punk band here though that had two guitarists. One guy used an SG into Mesa Dual Rec, and the other a Les Paul into a JCM 800.

They had hands down IMO the best 1-2 punch of guitar sound in the city at that time. They sounded gigantic. I'd go see them just to sit in front of that wall of guitar awesomeness.

Back