The MusicXPC professional desktop?

Fox

I was reading through the Digi 002 req's, and The MusicXPC professional desktop was mentioned. This looks like a slick little powerful desktop that's tailored to the job. I would be using this w/ a Digidesign 002 as the center of a DAW. Any knowledge/experience with these computers? (note: I'm not interested/technically savvy enough at this point to go into putting together my own comp).

XPC, still an unknown

I was all set to order one of these and a couple of FW interfaces, but was talked out of it... It may indeed be a great little machine, but it's still an unproven entity.. I can't afford to be a Beta test site for XPC... It does seem to be a good idea... A ten pound box that's as portable as a laptop, but equipped like a desktop... For the price, you can build a DAW yourself and actually learn something in the process... That's what I'm doing...d'hawk

If I had to do it ever

I would just get a Dell or HP and reformat the HD and go with that. Check out their outlets. I didn't save any money or time by building my own. I did get a nice rack-mount case, silent fans, PS & drives though. But did I really NEED them, I don't know yet. YMMV

the advantage of building your own PC instead of getting a dell/gateway etc is you can deck out your computer with "Quality" parts. This will definitly show when doing power user stuff(like recording) . Biggest difference will be how much more stable your computer is.

I looked at those for awhile but the prices are way too high in my opinion.

Instead of the 'musicXPC' I bought a regular SN45G Shuttle XPC and all the components for about $500 or so.

SN45G XPC
512MB 3200 DDR RAM
80GB SeaGate Barracuda HDD
ATI 9000 series video card
AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton (unlocked!)
etc

I love it. Its really small but doesn't compromise on performance like laptops. With the mods I have done to it it operates very silently too.

I use it w/ my Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96 host card to breakout box. Works great.

i just bought a customized system. i really really wanted to and was tempted to build my own system. i THINK i would have succeded and saved some money too but i've VERY glad i didn't. trying to pick a system was hard for me cause i wanted to control what was in the machine but i didn't want to actually build it.

check out:
http://www.adkproaudio.com/

i bought the 3200I+ (Pentium 4 system). i bought software and a sound card too. that way i was sure that everything worked when i first turned on the computer (they do all the setup and testing). i don't work for them. i'm just happy with my purchase.

there is also dawbox.com
i'm sure it's fine, but it was not customizable enough for me (i use my system for gaming too and just couldn't resist throwing a nice video card in too).
i think i'll write a little review of adk when i get the energy. there were many pros and relatively few minuses.

Re: If I had to do it ever

t_chance said:
I would just get a Dell or HP and reformat the HD and go with that. Check out their outlets. I didn't save any money or time by building my own. I did get a nice rack-mount case, silent fans, PS & drives though. But did I really NEED them, I don't know yet. YMMV

All guess this said with buyers remorse. I don't have it all up and running yet, so the listen to the guys who have the real experiance. Hopefully I'll have it going this weekend. It's my first build and I really didn't want to skimp on the hardware. My non-music PC's have both been Microns and I have only had a hard drive and a NIC go out on two units in six years, and replaced them myself. I had just came from a store that had a Sony 2.8 HT. 160, dvdrw for like 800 I've got almost double that in mine.

Back