The most important technical factor in singing?

Hearing.

:D

...or is that not quite what you were expecting??

;)

What about.... physical energy. Without it, I find nothing else really works. Breathing is short, technique is sloppy, etc.

Chris

It's an actual part of the singing process and (gasp!:)) it's NOT
breathing. So simple and yet so profound.
I wouldn't have guessed it myself BTW.

Chris

so wait,

It is "NOT BREATHING"???

or

it is NOT "BREATHING", and is something else. ???

Just wondering if the topic is still live or not.

If it is , I can gaurantee smellyfuzz will say the most important thing is LESSONS!

heheh

y

Well I certainly would have made my first choice breating.

Maybe you are thinking posture. Without good posture you aren't going to breathe worth anything anyway.

And the answer is...
resonance.

The ability to produce a pleasing voice with the option of maximum volume
is founded on the concept of resonance.

Chris

I'm not sure I understand what resonance is and I do not understand the explanation.

Be that as it may, the most important part of singing is being relaxed.
If your on edge, your voice will suffer.
Frankly, if one has a singing teacher who does not build confidence, they are worthless.

As far as technical importance, placement is the most important, period.
Placement is what protects the vocal chords, it is also responsible for the
quality of sound that is produced.

Breathing and diaphragm work is to help maintain sound production and volume.

All of these attributes should be built up through a series of exercise.
The exercisers should not, IMO, consist of a bunce of technobabble.
Instead, fun scales and songs with constant constructive critiques.

Sean

smellyfuzz said:
I'm not sure I understand what resonance is and I do not understand the explanation.

Be that as it may, the most important part of singing is being relaxed.
If your on edge, your voice will suffer.
Frankly, if one has a singing teacher who does not build confidence, they are worthless.

As far as technical importance, placement is the most important, period.
Placement is what protects the vocal chords, it is also responsible for the
quality of sound that is produced.

Breathing and diaphragm work is to help maintain sound production and volume.

All of these attributes should be built up through a series of exercise.
The exercisers should not, IMO, consist of a bunce of technobabble.
Instead, fun scales and songs with constant constructive critiques.

Sean

How can I explain resonance...Resonance is when the air in your body (in your throat and wind pipe) "rings" with the notes you are singing, and it sounds like you are singing from within your chest. You have to be relaxed to ALLOW your body to resonate. So in a sense, you your answer is the same...because if you are relaxed, your body should resonate. It's like when you blow across the top of a bottle, and you hit "that note" that just "sings".

I used to force everything, and I'm a big guy (6'2" and barrel chested) with a lot of lung power (I can Glenn Danzig/ Ian Astbury (the Cult)/ Elvis Presley it all day long.) and I used to force so much air through my larynx that it wasn't funny.... I was trying to gain more volume, but it was just a matter of my vocal folds being in bad shape from smoking. To hit higher notes, I would lift my larynx - which is a definite no-no, but I did it for a long time anyway...that was a hard one to "unlearn".

Tim

I dunno if it's technical factor or what :)
But I'll say

"Knowing your character, furthermore knowing the right tune for the right voices"

does it count ?

;)
Jaymz

That's the most important NON-technical factor!

Man you hit that right on the head-especially after watching Celine "get down" in her recent show on TV.
Most amusing. :)

Chris

Saw it :D

She used to be fine, and my wife used to be really crazy abut her (wifey sings also :) )... Now she fells sorry about Celline :p

Resonance is a phenomenon of physics. Every accoustic instrument uses resonance to create a rich sound. The air inside the body of a violin vibrates at the same frequency of the string, and its harmonics. To a lesser extent the body of the violin resonates too. The shape of the body creates air columns of many lengths. This makes the violin sound both loud and rich.

In the same way the cavities of your chest create air columns that can resonate with the pitch you are singing plus its overtones. A good singer will not choke off the passage of the sound into their chest and head so that those sounds can occur but resonance itself is a property of physics.

resonance, vocally, is basically about having enough of a sense of posture/breath/effort to produce the most sound with the least amount of effort. the human voice is extensively tweakable via breathing, posture, tongue placement, jaw position, use/disuse of various cavities, etc. all is so tweakable that a properly trained (or perhaps a very lucky and intuitive one, in my case, though i could still use training) can manage to push a LOT of sound without pushing a lot of air or straining a great deal.

Back