The Lame Lyrics Blues

seedyapartment

I've been writing songs for a few years now, and I find that alot of people around me like the lyrics. However, I can't help noticing that these people are my friends or kids in the neighborhood and things like that. My problem is that I personally don't like the lyrics of the songs I write.

I write the type of music that I don't like, and I don't want to. But since I'm a young female, it's kinda hard for me to write songs like Pete Townshend, Neil Young or Jim Morrison. I'm stuck with Michelle Branch and Ashlee Simpson-type pop ballads. In melody and in lyrics.

Does anyone else find that they have this problem? The kind where you write songs you don't particularily like? And does anyone have any advice?

I don't see why being a young female would automatically mean you have to write Ashley Simpson type songs. You can write anything you want if you use your imagination. If you feel you're writing is too feminine, try writing as a guy in that perspective. (Tom Petty writes pretty feminine at times) If you want to write a certain genre and don't have inspiration from your own point of view, imagine yourself as someone else and write from theirs.

Hopefully this comes across well. Good luck with your writings

Thanks alot, I'll definately take this into consideration. I appreciate it.

Also, to clarify, I didn't mean that I felt I HAD to write those types of female pop songs, but that with my voice coupled with the lyrics I write, I usually come across like that.

Thanks!

are you nervous that the same people who like your stuff now, wont like the new stuff?

i was in a similar situation.
i was in a group (1 of 3 emcees), i didnt like the stuff we were doing, but i was really close friends with the other two guys, and didnt have the heart to leave.
i just decided to write the stuff i wanted and not let them hear it, but continue to make music with them also.
i did this for a while, but after like 4 or 5 months, i could even bring myself to write stuff with them. the group broke up about a week ago, it was a huge reliefe.
i think you have to write the stuff you want, it took me a while to stop caring what others thought, but eventually it happened.
if you dont write for yourself, its not worth it.
if your truely nervous about what they think, dont let them hear it for a while.
and if your nervous about not being able to write in a new style, dont be.
it'll be hard at first, because your not used to it, but eventually you will be, and believe me, youll be extremely happy you went this route.

anyway, sorry this post is so disjointed and long and confusing etc etc.
im tired. good luck.

.peace.

Garry Sharp said:
Buy a Janis Joplin CD ;)
yessir. Makes me wonder what other rocker chicks are out there with a style one could aspire to? Heart, Pat Benatar, Jefferson Airplane come to mind. Please nobody say lita ford.

Anyway, you gotta write what moves you, and what you truly enjoy.

I totally agree with this.

I am generally into alt-rock style music, lots of power, interesting vocals and layered sounds.

But all I seem to be able to write and sing are deep voiced Johnny Cash / Elvis style ballads. Some people say they are quite good but I'm fed up of writing stuff that's not what I really like.

The best advice I received though was just to accept it because it's better to come up with something decent in the wrong style than to fail to write stuff you think you like.

Tony

i disagree.
well, i guess it depends on your motives.
i would rather write songs that the majority of people didnt like, but i did, than the other way around. i did it for a while, but after many frustrating days,
ive come to the realization that making music has to be a personal journey.
your stuff in a new style may not be good at first, but keep picking at it and will come into shape. the satisfaction of making the music you like, is worth the frustration in the beginning.

tonyoci said:
The best advice I received though was just to accept it because it's better to come up with something decent in the wrong style than to fail to write stuff you think you like.

I think that's the worst advise.

voice or songwriting

I guess the first question is are you writing for yourself, or are you writing with the intention of hoping everyone else will like it? The best advice I can give is to really listen and pick apart songs with singers that you would like to emulate. That doesn't even have to apply to vocal sounds, it can apply to arrangements and the delivery style of the lyrics as well. Also, each song usually has it's own personality, and as songwriters the smart thing to do when just starting to write is to pick a point of view for the song. What Is this song going to be about? Who am I talking to? What is the mood?

The above are some very simple questions you can ask yourself even before you begin writing that will guide you.

*puke* Ashlee Simpson *puke*.....write what you FEEL....let your music express YOU....because that's what your music should focus on....YOU. :)

I write songs all the time that some people can feel and others can't stand...probably because of the foul language and real life situations (albeit mixed in with a little dark humor from time to time).

Write what you can feel and enjoy then you can have the same enjoyment out of what you do that people who like your stuff do.

What's your personality? I would say think about that and think about the things you want to project out to people who listen....then you can take radiohead's advice and find artists that are out now that you can use to blend yourself into while still being your own self.

I mean damn, I wrote a song once that put the Bible on a pedistal in the first verse....only to flip it and send it crashing down on the next two. You KNOW I heard all kinds of crap about that (and whatever diss song I wrote on whoever, but that's a story for another time.)...but I stayed true to myself and did what I wanted to do (and avoided a mob).

If you don't like the songs that you write, people will eventually see that in you as well.

Flow! Don't worry about categories! My category is "sucky" but, hey, I've had over 6500 plays on soundclick in a year. You will connect with someone.

I have folder upon folder of lyrics I wrote when I was "young", which I thought were were an absolute shit-waste-of-time.

I read them years later and discover they were not so bad...
IMHO many are usable, even possibly "sellable".

And all that time I wasted...

Don't pidgeon-hole yourself with genre.
Do what comes naturally to the best of your abilities.
You can only be yourself.

Reactions: apl
And Sir Paul McC had a huge hit saying:

And in this ever changing world in which we live in...

An incredible slaughter of grammar!

I write poetry and lyrics, but only when the mood strikes. I tried taking a Creative Writing course years ago and got a "D" in it, final grade. The tried to force to me write "poetry" about certain things in certain styles and in a certain time frame. I felt that was just WRONG. I could have put some words together, but it would never have been "poetry" to me, just words. This ties in to when is sound a song thread...if you don't feel it, it just words and sounds, however pleasant sounding. Lyrics and poetry are pieces of ourselves, a way to express ourselves. If we aren't in it, it's not "ours", nor can we truly expect anyone else to feel it. Just remember, no matter what we write, SOMEONE out there will think it's crap...if we write what we like, then at least ONE person likes it. Some things I write for other people, but mostly I just write what comes to me. If other people like it, fine, if not, fine as well.

I write poetry and lyrics, but only when the mood strikes. I tried taking a Creative Writing course years ago and got a "D" in it, final grade. The tried to force to me write "poetry" about certain things in certain styles and in a certain time frame. I felt that was just WRONG. I could have put some words together, but it would never have been "poetry" to me, just words. This ties in to when is sound a song thread...if you don't feel it, it just words and sounds, however pleasant sounding. Lyrics and poetry are pieces of ourselves, a way to express ourselves. If we aren't in it, it's not "ours", nor can we truly expect anyone else to feel it. Just remember, no matter what we write, SOMEONE out there will think it's crap...if we write what we like, then at least ONE person likes it. Some things I write for other people, but mostly I just write what comes to me. If other people like it, fine, if not, fine as well.

If I took the attitude toward my work that you had toward your homework, I'd be out of a job.

If I took the attitude toward my work that you had toward your homework, I'd be out of a job.

I understand that, however I am not a "professional" poet or songwriter, nor was I a professional student. I don't have the same attitude towards my own line of work as I have for my creative hobbies. I don't write well under deadlines, and if I can't "sell" the poem to myself, I can't expect anyone else to "buy" it either. P.S. I never took another Creative Writing course again, and don't plan on it...I learn better on my own.

God Bless.

I understand that, however I am not a "professional" poet or songwriter, nor was I a professional student. I don't have the same attitude towards my own line of work as I have for my creative hobbies. I don't write well under deadlines, and if I can't "sell" the poem to myself, I can't expect anyone else to "buy" it either. P.S. I never took another Creative Writing course again, and don't plan on it...I learn better on my own.

God Bless.

Yeah, I understand. God bless you, too.

Back