The knob on the MD412 .. How do you use it?

enemyofthesun

I have a MD412 now. Ive heard of it being used on cabs, toms etc. There is a knob on it. How is it used? I assume it should be set in different positions depending on how it is being used. Can anyone offer info here?

Any chance you speak of the MD421? It has a switch controlling it's bass rolloff. I once heard that "M" was for music and "S" for speech, as if that could be any more vague.

I don't know the MD412. But then, maybe that's why I'm Knownuttin'.
-kent

The MD421 has a five position bass roll-off switch to compensate for proximity effect on voices as you move closer to the mic. The "M" position (Music) is flat, no roll off. The "S" position (Speech) has the maximum bass roll-off. Starting with M (the "flat" setting), the switch keeps increasing the bass roll-off as you get closer to S.

I love the MD 421 too. I wish more microphone companies would make a dynamic microphone with a similar bass roll off control. Very useful! A friend of mine uses his 431 on the third click up from the "speech" setting. The 421 works incredibly well with his deep throaty singing voice especially in a live setting. It tailors his voice in a way that really flatters it. On the right singer, you 'll have a hard time beating this Sennheiser model....

Harvey Gerst said:
The MD421 has a five position bass roll-off switch to compensate for proximity effect on voices as you move closer to the mic. The "M" position (Music) is flat, no roll off. The "S" position (Speech) has the maximum bass roll-off. Starting with M (the "flat" setting), the switch keeps increasing the bass roll-off as you get closer to S.

Man, I'm glad someone finally asked this. I was given one of these mics a few months back (my friend's office was throwing it away - that, and a Mackie 1202). I knew what the "M" and "S" stood for (thanks to this forum), but I didn't know how it would apply to drums as I'm using it on floor tom right now. I wonder if anyone has ideas on this. For now, I keep it in the middle position.
I've also been recording acoustic guitar with it - 9" from the 12th fret, with an ECM8000 over my right shoulder. Recorded to two tracks, then panned hard left and right. Nice.
Also, as I mentioned, my 421 is on the floor tom. I have an SM57 on the snare and I'm not getting enough high end on the snare for my taste. I wonder if I should swap these mics and set the 421 rolloff to "S". Any ideas?

Back