The Ivory II Piano Synth

K-dub

I'd never quite liked the piano sound on this tune's previous mix ... as it struck me as still sort of too synth sounding, and I was looking for a more dynamic, authentic piano sound.

I was reading an article in EM where a producer used a lot of the same synths I use and said sort of in an offhand way, "When I want a real sounding piano, I use Ivory."

I then went online and read a few reviews and said, "Maybe that is what I'm looking for?"

It was. I've finally found something I love for a real piano sound. Below is the new mix with the new plug.

Any/all comments warmly appreciated.

Best,

Kev-

The piano sounded real good. Might be missing just a little of the high end of a real piano. But it's real close.

Heard a little of your vocal "swooshiness" with the delay you put on. Heard it on the word "shouldn't" at :35.

Maybe nudge up the lead guitar that comes in at 2:56 a little.

Everything else was great.

Interestingly, I didn't touch the EQ ... this is how it sounded right out of the box. I really couldn't believe how authentic it was and how well it translated w/o my having to do much to it at all. I know EXACTLY what you meant on the swoosh, as I've both a very short delay and very long reverb on the main vocal, but most don't have your ears. :)

I'll look into the guitar -- as that was one of my ??? to myself too, so thanks for mentioning it.

Something else I really did on this that was different from normal, is that I took compression off of just about everything but the drum and vocal. It really opened up the dynamic.

Kev-

This sounds pretty good. I'd say it sounds 90% like a real piano. There's still moments that scream "not a real piano!" but for all intents and purposes the average listener will never know the difference. And well done on less compression. This definitely sounds more open and much more dynamic than your usual offerings, which seemed pretty good, but this is definitely a step better.

Back