the guy that knows rooms

RobbieD

Hey anyone know that well known man who does online sessions on how to fix a room acoustically, i think it was brand or something like that...?

do you think i should pay this man like 500 to guide me with acoutstic treatment, i wanna make my room perfect for mixing and mastering... so is this guy gonna do that?

You want to make a room 'perfect' for mixing and mastering? Are you planning a complete build from subfloor, ceiling, walls, and ventilation, as well as acoustic treatment? Then Mr. Brandt will be charging much more than $500. He is well respected, and I was about to pull the trigger on his design of my drum room. I had some unexpected financial problems, and had to bow out. He was still helpful in making it happen anyway. I would willingly pay him what he asks for his advice, if you are serious about getting the most out of your room. IMO, and from everything I have heard from those who he has designed and built for, he is worth every penny.

ou ok so hes good, but im only gonna pay him for the acoustic treatment in the room, can i still get good results for mixing and mastering, my rooms in the basement too so dunno if that helps.. does it rlly have to be isolated

you need to define your requirements. you're only going to get out of it what you put in. John (or myself) can design a room but if you're not committed then the money you pay for the design and the expense of poorly executing the build will be wasted. it might be that you don't have enough experience to know what you want in a room in which case you could check out GIK Acoustics or RealTraps to see if a room package and some of their free product consulting can help you get started. spend your money on some pro products, learn your room and keep asking questions once you have some ideas on where you want to take it. for what its worth, a control room and a mastering room typically have different requirements and doing both mix and master on the same equipment, same room, etc then the value that these two distinct processes deliver is compromised.
cheers!

all i want is it to be perfect for mixing and mastering, so that when i play it somewhere else i wont be like wth happened lol

all i want is it to be perfect for mixing and mastering, so that when i play it somewhere else i wont be like wth happened lol

You'll never get perfect for less than $1 million, and even then it's iffy. :D

I agree with Glenn that you'll probably do well to just buy treatment products from a good company that will tell you what to do for free as part of the sale.

--Ethan

Back