the ghost who talks...Phantom Power

talk show host

I'm a couple of weeks away from picking up a BR-8. I read an article in Guitarist that said there was no phantom power for the mic input. I have a Shure SM-58, but was planning to pick up a lower-end condenser. I read somewhere else that condenser mics use phantom power. Does this mean that I can't use a condenser mic with a BR-8?

phantom power alternatives.

you are going to have to power the condensor mic somehow. there are a couple ways to do this. many condensor mic's (akg's, i know for sure) offer a seperate 9 volt phantom power accessory that will run between your mic and recorder. some condensor mic's are also made with an internal spot for a 9 volt(akg C1000S's for example), like active pickups in a guitar. the other option is to run the mic into a rack-type mic preamp, or a seperate mixer that can provide phantom power. i ended up buying a berringer mixer to do this, because it was half the cost of a dual rack preamp and i got a mixer. it's a pretty cheap route to go for 100 bucks you can get a mixer that will give you two seperate preamps that you can split the output of the mixer to two different tracks. For 200 you can get a berringer mixer that has four preamps, and that has a four bus output so you can run them seperately to your recorder. i hope this will help you out.

You could pick up a nice mic pre-amp/compressor which will not only improve your sound but also do you for Phantom Power. I recommend something cheap but effective like the Joe Meek VC3.

Back