The First "Porta"-Studio?

That is all home-grown custom built...I can't remember what transport that is...dual capstan.

That looks pretty cool! So the 388 isn't the only integrated reel to reel/mixer;)
I wonder what the sound quality is like.

+1 to that ^^^^^^^

That was one of the tip-offs to me. I strongly suspect that unit is a one-of-a-kind.

Either that or it was a small run thing like the Cadey machines, where some guy sells a few over the years but never mass-produces them.

That thing is amazing!

I'm pretty sure Sweetbeats needs that for his collection.
:spank:;):cool::eek:
Somebody Google Music Master

Attachments

• Ampex.jpg
    Ampex.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 16
Good gracious I'm pretty sure I don't...but there's this guy with an impressive collection down in southern Cali... :D

Somebody Google Music Master

Whatcha gettin' at with that? ^^^^^

I googled music master and got a lot of Fender stuff...tried some permutations of that search but came up with no crazy integrated mixer/multitrack machines. You know something we don't, Dave?

Whatcha gettin' at with that? ^^^^^

I googled music master and got a lot of Fender stuff...tried some permutations of that search but came up with no crazy integrated mixer/multitrack machines. You know something we don't, Dave?

Well, this recorder/mixer has the a model name "Music Master 800". So I'd guess it's at least a prototype. I mean, Chamberlins were all homebrew, even though he sold tons of them. I initially googled it and found no reference to this beast in any way shape or form. Though I'd guess it's older than the seller indicates.

Oh I missed that it has the brand/model screened on the front.

Yeah I'd date it from the 60s.

It does look like a nice build.

I'm still thrown by the transport...it looks like a 400 transport, but the push/pull capstan setup is throwing me.

I'm not sure but it looks like it's not a true 8x4 mixer...looks like each pair of inputs sum to one track each, so it's more like four 2x1 mixers. I might be wrong about that. It's just the only controls I see are the 8 sets of hi and lo eq controls, the 8 input faders (which are grouped in pairs), and then 4 rotary controls I think labeled TRK1, TRK2, etc, and four rotary controls to the right which I assume are either the "group" faders for each track as they are labeled MASTER. Am I missing something? I don't see assign controls that would allow assignment of each of the inputs to any or all of the 4 tacks.

Oh I missed that it has the brand/model screened on the front.

Yeah I'd date it from the 60s.

It does look like a nice build.

I'm still thrown by the transport...it looks like a 400 transport, but the push/pull capstan setup is throwing me.

I'm not sure but it looks like it's not a true 8x4 mixer...looks like each pair of inputs sum to one track each, so it's more like four 2x1 mixers. I might be wrong about that. It's just the only controls I see are the 8 sets of hi and lo eq controls, the 8 input faders (which are grouped in pairs), and then 4 rotary controls I think labeled TRK1, TRK2, etc, and four rotary controls to the right which I assume are either the "group" faders for each track as they are labeled MASTER. Am I missing something? I don't see assign controls that would allow assignment of each of the inputs to any or all of the 4 tacks.

I'm thinking late '60s (maybe early '70s) too ... the chickenhead knobs and rotary-type controls for the transport sort of indicate that. If it is from the '60s, this thing is historically significant and ahead of it's time by several years in it's use of 1/4" tape for true 4-track recording, and the "mixer and recorder" combo is about 10 years ahead of the Teac 144.

Yeh doesn't seem to have busses at all? So no internal bouncing. Also, doesn't appear to have any panning or stereo configuration options. Which means that "stereo" output on the back would probably be something like 1/3-L, 2/4-R. Most importantly, it's a 3-head design with no apparent option for Sync. Which means you can't overdub on it ... designed for live recording. All of which also suggests a '60s philosophy in the design.

Back