The FAQ guy considers his next move! Whadya think?

grahamware

That FAQ Guy
Hey everyone --

I haven't updated the extremely-unofficial Home Recording mic FAQ for some time. I've noticed some of the prices in my database aren't quite right anymore, and I never got to covering several brands of mics. The site needs some serious updating.

My question for all of you fine folks: What next?

- Do nothing, and let the FAQ rot until useless?
- Work on bringing the site up-to-snuff?
- Take it down all together?

Unfortunately, I'm running out of class-free summertime, so I'll have to make a decision soon. And if I decide to bring the site up-to-date, I'm going to need some help, because I only really have two weeks to work.

Of course, I look forward to any/all input.

Oh, and a shameless plug --
Go here: http://www.hr-faq.org

Thanks for everyone's past, current and future support.
- Graham

I think the HR-FAQ has proven itself to be helpful and you've put to much hard work into it to (#3) "take it down all together" and even (#1) "do nothing, and let the FAQ rot until useless" would be better than (#3)... but my vote is for (#2) "work on bringing the site up-to-snuff".

What's the window of time that you would need help if you decided to keep it up (a choice I support)?

Rev E said:
What's the window of time that you would need help if you decided to keep it up (a choice I support)?

Hmmmm... if I choose to update the site, everything needs to be done by August 30th. I'll have to bust my hump to get things done, but that's OK with me - compiling is a great way to learn stuff. Seriously.

If some cool volunteers wanted to spend some time searching the BBS archives for pertinent mic help and informal mic reviews, they would be invited to do so. And they could email me directly with what they find.

Those who were looking to volunteer a little more time could be given admin access to my database, and they could update the site directly. I'd set up some webforms to make this easy (it would completely be a copy-and-paste affair).

Rev E, are you volunteering? How 'bout you, DJL? :)

I often recommend the FAQ to people who want to get ideas about mics. Please don't take it down!

I don't have a huge amount of free time, hence I haven't been on here much recently, but if there's something specific I can do then please feel free to PM/email me. I *might* be able to help with the HTML side of things if you want.

Awesome.

You guys are right. I'll update the site, hopefully with some help.:)

I'll be back tomorrow with some possible assignments, deadlines and methods of submission.

Thanks a lot for your support. I'm going to start working.

Don't worry DJL. I'll tell you EXACTLY where to start tomorrow.

Thanks noisedude and Rev E.

the hr-faq has helped me with mic pricing a ton. actually i have it as an icon on my desktop for quick looks when people start talking about mics or i start looking for them

i'd really like to see a list of webstores recommended (and not) by members. you know like zzounds, new egg, guitar center, musicians friend...that sort of thing. this may also ease fears of some newbie and jaded e-buyers knowing that its been used and recommended by people in this forum.

grahamware said:
Don't worry DJL. I'll tell you EXACTLY where to start tomorrow.
Ok, but as you know... I don't take orders well, but if it's something I can/want to do... cool.

By the way... if I remember correctly, Gidge has always been really good at tracking down the lowest prices. ;)

DJL said:
Ok, but as you know... I don't take orders well, but if it's something I can/want to do... cool.

By the way... if I remember correctly, Gidge has always been really good at tracking down the lowest prices. ;)
Well in that case - I *ORDER* you to be helpful to that FAQ guy. ;) ;) :p

And Gidge is indeed the price-busting master.

Assignments!

OK, so here's a list of things I think should be researched/written:

http://www.hr-faq.org/submit/assignments.htm

If something catches your eye, tell me, and I'll assign it to you. If you want to do something else that's not on the list, I'll add it to the list!

Note that I need everything by August 26th.

In general, for any theory or purchasing question / answers, you have to read what the greats have said on this board, and either quote them or paraphrase. See the FAQ and read what I've done to get an idea of how that works.

For mic specifics, you do a little less work. :) Search the forum archives for stuff on a mic, and QUOTE DIRECTLY. Cite your sources. Don't paraphrase or put in your own two cents. Also, please quote experienced, qualified people, with substantial post counts.

Don't quote this:

"This mic performed badly because there was no way to use it with my soundblaster. It sucks a lot." - newbie48

This review doesn't tell you anything about the mic, how they used it, why they chose it, etc. Obviously, this guy isn't experienced enough to know a good mic from a freshly-picked cucumber.

However, please quote this:

"I like this mic a lot. Here's why..." - Harvey Gerst/Fletcher/etc.

Again, look at the 'mic specifics' part of the FAQ, and replicate what I have done so far. Give me pictures, prices and stats if you can. Otherwise, I have to do it.

Okay, so here's who has opted for volunteering so far:

DJL
noisedude
radiorickm
notbradsohner
Rev E(?)

Try to send text to me as unformatted .doc files (MS word). If that's a problem, let me know.

Send it to me heregraham@brandeis.edu.

And of course, don't bite off more than you can chew. Do what you can! Anything you contribute is a help, I promise you that.

Thanks again,
Graham

noisedude said:
And Gidge is indeed the price-busting master.

If Gidge would like to update the mic prices, he is welcome to do so! Unfortunately they change so often it's hard to keep up. They are there more as a guide at a price range than as a definitive listing.

distortedrumble said:
i'd really like to see a list of webstores recommended (and not) by members. you know like zzounds, new egg, guitar center, musicians friend...that sort of thing. this may also ease fears of some newbie and jaded e-buyers knowing that its been used and recommended by people in this forum.

That's a great idea. Anyone up for this?

I am VERY glad you have opted for #2. It has helped me out greatly.

I was going to purchase a mic this week, but I think I'll wait until you've updated (see what Gidge (hopefully!) digs up).

thanx for the faq!

Hey distortedrumble...just to help you our with your part here are some places I like (you probably already know them, but just in the off chance that you don't)

zzounds.com is pretty good all around

music123.com seems to have a better selection and prices than most

8thstreet.com has some pretty damn good sales and package deals

sweetwater.com is pricey but the service kicks ass

musiciansfriend.com is kinda crappy IMHO, aside from the fact that they offer price matching

and of course mercenaryaudio.com one of our own....and some great deals

there are many more, but I usually find the best deals on one of those

Back