The essentials of home recording???

trdn1

Say you have about $500 to spend for home recording equipment, what would you (should i) buy? Here's what I have so far: PC with Cool edit software, Shure SM58 mic, cables, guitar, boom mic stand, headphones. Ok, with those items out of the way, and $500 to spend, what do you consider to be esstential for recording? That is, if you are recording basic songs ONE INSTRUMENT AT A TIME(acoustic based, with elec lead, sampled drums, with a beck / neil finn flavor). I looking along the lines of compressors, reverb/echo units, but i don't want to limit the suggestions to just those types of things. Thanks!

That's easy -- active monitors... you DON'T want to be tracking/mixing on just headphones...

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

You didn't mention having either a decent soundcard or a preamp to run the mic through, either.

preamp....compressor???

A while back I used some guy's compressor between the mic and the input of my computer, seemed like it worked well, even if i only used it as a preamp/volume control. otherwise, i've just been using a DOD Metal X pedal as a preamp (dist. off, of course) I believe my soundcard is adequate. And as far as monitors go, i forgot to mention that I have a line out going into my digital receiver, so i believe that the monitor situation is ok. Anything else???? keem em coming, thanks guys!

Back