the elusive leslie

steelpetals

i just received in the mail today my new songworks little lanilei rotary wave. i've been looking for about five years for a pedal that nails the sound of the leslie. the fulltone cf-1 is close but i wanted something for my organ samples to. this thing is the s..t! it's about as close as i've ever come to getting THAT sound and the little thing only weighs 11 pounds. if you get a chance to check out his site, I'd recommend it. He's got some samples to listen to. www.songworks.com I'm a bit hesitant to take it to a gig, I think it will stay in the studio. It wasn't cheap at $350. But I dig being able to talk with tris on the phone. He's a real friendly guy.
Anyways, it's a helluva lot less expensive that a fender vibratone or a leslie cabinet and weighs a fracton of either of those. I finally got around to recording it this evening and it sounds fantastic. I put a sennheiser md421 on it and suddenly those stevie ray tones and david gilmour aren't so elusive anymore. Anyways, I'm a gear slut and not ashamed to say so.

Very cool sir. I'm a self confessed gear slut so of course I had to have the real thing. Trying to load a 147 by yourself is SO much fun but as you said, there's something about that sound. The thing I find so appealing abount the Leslie sound of course is the AM and FM thing that the rotary speakers provide but just as important (to me anyway) is the way that little 40 watt tube amp in it folds over. I've never heard such a sweet sounding distortion as this thing puts out. Does the CF-1 just spin or does it try to emulate the whole package?

Last edited:
the cf-1 is fulltone's chorus pedal which does a decent job of doing a leslie imitation. my unit is called a little lanilei rotary wave and it's an actual rotating speaker, a mini leslie by all accounts. the only difference is that it hold a passive speaker inside. SO, you simply use your regular guitar amp to power it. The speaker has a suprisingly rich tone for only being 6.5". The beauty of it is that I can have it in my home studio which isn't too big to begin with and it records very nicely. My only other comment is that with yours, the tones are going to be much more complex, and rich simply given the size, age, amp, etc. But, for my purposes, the little lanilei is great. If you get a chance, check tris' website out. I did alot of research on this thing before dropping the ball and coughing up the dough. so far, and it's still early, it seemes to be worth it.

Back