The Drifters - a show today that I'm actually going to like.

rob aylestone

Today's show is the Drifters. Odd, perhaps as I'm in the UK, but thinking back - the Drifters must surely be the longest lasting musical franchise and business idea of all time.

The Drifters organisation really got it right. Four guys - always black, with a set of standardised songs and dance moves to go with them. You need a low baritone, and three others and it works. Right back from their first formation, the band members have never been static. One goes out, one goes in and the 'brand' continues. Once there was a pool, then the real genuine Drifters could be in the US and the UK performing at the same time. My first Drifters show was I think 1984 - with Johnny Moore in the group. He went in for a while then out and since then, I have always had at least one Drifters show. Their manager, Faye Treadwell was a scary lady. Ruled the roost. the shows were mega tight. Since her death, ownership has passed to the Michael Jackson look-a-like Navi and he now runs the band in the UK and Europe.

If you look at the wiki entry for The Drifters - the list of each years members is pretty amazing.

I've never had a duff Drifters show, the guys are always nice and friendly and not remotely stuck up, and you know every song. So working on the Drifters shows is really nice. Tomorrow it is Jim Davidson. Move on.

My best weird one was when I tapped the tour manager on the shoulder and mentioned I'd had a head count and got 3 not 4? Ah - he said, you noticed. We've lost one! An office slip - one of the guys hadn't been told and was unavailable. They phoned a guy from the previous seasons lineup, who got in his car for a three hour drive. Show started with three - the audience were told that one was unwell and hopefully would be able to perform soon. The guy arrived in town during Act 1, but had got lost looking for the venue - I was dispatched to the busy forecourt and had to ask each likely person looking lost if he was a Drifter? You can imagine the reactions. eventually, "are you a Drifter" got ma YES!!! and he burst onstage two songs into Act 2 and said sorry, but he was OK and fine. The audience loved him. Brilliant night. So - what do we have? 4 guys, a real decent band made up of commercial musicians - who simply meet, often for the first time, then play the show. All in-ears and radio mics, and a decent audio system and good music. 9 people on stage, who just do a great job with no fuss. Real pros!

I found these bills still on the walls! I can’t work out on my phone how to rotate them hang onIMG_1623.jpegIMG_1619.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1621.jpeg
    IMG_1621.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1618.jpeg
    IMG_1618.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
Yeah, people think of the Drifters from the records, but they were almost a "tribute band" after a few years. But in the end, it's all about the songs and the sound.

I think there are only a couple of those types of groups who still have an original member. Last I heard, Otis Williams was still touring with the Temptations. I wonder if he can still do all the dance moves as he's in his 80s. Smokey Robinson is still around but he doesn't tour with the Miracles.

Yeah, people think of the Drifters from the records, but they were almost a "tribute band" after a few years.
They aren't even a tribute band - they are a copy band - I've heard songs and some I liked - but it doesn't matter to me to hear them again - if the original guys aren't involved (aside from he fact that I they have all passed) - then I don't see the point,

No guys the drifters have always been a franchise. They have huge lists of the members. Legally they’ve been really protective. Best to consider them like a choir or orchestra. Never a copy or tribute. It’s the name that matters not the members

Attachments

• IMG_1646.jpeg
    IMG_1646.jpeg
    637.4 KB · Views: 1
Back