The Dream's Malfunction

Armistice

Son of Yoda
Hi peeps

Warning - it's a long tune - it's to end an album, so I sort of needed something big. It also starts out with an unrelated mellotron thing which I felt had to fit on the album somewhere, so here it is. :eek:

Once I get this one sorted I'll move onto album production, so that's probably it for new songs from me for at least 6 months or so.:(

The Dream's Malfunction

As always, any and all feedback appreciated and considered. Two guitars in use, my tele and my Les Paul - mainly cleanish sounds.

Thanks in advance compadres.;)

On headphones the mix is nice and open. I like when the panned guitars come in. Also the contrast when the drum groove changes to the regular 2 and 4. Be interesting to hear the 2 an 4 beat under the lead break at 3.45. I don't think the key change at 5.35 is adding anything. Getting a general Jethro Tull vibe off this for some reason. All your instruments sound good. Nice job

On headphones the mix is nice and open. I like when the panned guitars come in. Also the contrast when the drum groove changes to the regular 2 and 4. Be interesting to hear the 2 an 4 beat under the lead break at 3.45. I don't think the key change at 5.35 is adding anything. Getting a general Jethro Tull vibe off this for some reason. All your instruments sound good. Nice job

Thanks Bulls.... I don't know... the key change got me an extra 30 seconds worth of tune and a potential complication for audience singalong... :D

Plus I get to tick "key change in song" off the bucket list. Also "mellotron solo" - both in the same song. Only bungee jumping left now, really... :laughings:

Howdy - just had a listen to this.

Really like the general vibe of this, love how it opens up at 1.11. Initially I thought the intro guitar sounded a little too central and plain, but it works well because it contrasts so nicely with those choruses.

I love the drum beat but wonder if the drums could sound a little 'crunchier' - maybe a hint of distortion on the snare, to give it a slight edge? A bit nitpicky of me, perhaps.

I actually quite liked the key change, but feel like some other 'stuff' could maybe come in during these parts - just because it is a tad long (not too long) and some cool layers at the end might just ramp up the excitement before the song ends. I also feel like it ends a bit abruptly.

But overall, really nice - you have a clear sound and style, and I enjoyed listening to this :)

Hey Arm. haven't been commenting on songs too much these days but thought I'd give my two pennies worth here.

Overall it's great as usual. It's got those awesome signature Armistice intricate guitar parts that I love, though maybe not quite the signature Armistice tone that I love. Close but I can tell you're set up is a little different.

Long song, no problem. The mix is pretty close to being done.

I thought the drums sounded very mechanical. Not a lot of dynamics between the ghost notes and the snare hits and the same pattern throughout. I could not hear the cymbals too well, but that might be me and some hearing problems popping up. However, the rest of the drum kit sounded good. Good thump on the kick and nice snare.

You mentioned having a big ending for the last song on an album and while it is long and does have a build up, I didn't get the bigness (is that a word) that maybe it could be to end an album with.

Dude, hope all is going well with you. :)

Didn't read other comments.

What have you done to the vocal EQ, if anything? Just wondering. Also, do you not like compressing the track much? Not saying you don't have any compression on the master, but just thinking it might make a better listen if it weren't as dynamic. (oh no! the devil!) Really though, I think a little less dynamics might work for the better. Great mix though, and the song too. Always love your music Arm

Howdy - just had a listen to this.

Really like the general vibe of this, love how it opens up at 1.11. Initially I thought the intro guitar sounded a little too central and plain, but it works well because it contrasts so nicely with those choruses.

I love the drum beat but wonder if the drums could sound a little 'crunchier' - maybe a hint of distortion on the snare, to give it a slight edge? A bit nitpicky of me, perhaps.

I actually quite liked the key change, but feel like some other 'stuff' could maybe come in during these parts - just because it is a tad long (not too long) and some cool layers at the end might just ramp up the excitement before the song ends. I also feel like it ends a bit abruptly.

But overall, really nice - you have a clear sound and style, and I enjoyed listening to this :)

Thanks slim - you and Chili have me thinking about "other stuff" at that key change - seems the logical place for that "big ending" thing. Cheers

Hey Arm. haven't been commenting on songs too much these days but thought I'd give my two pennies worth here.

Overall it's great as usual. It's got those awesome signature Armistice intricate guitar parts that I love, though maybe not quite the signature Armistice tone that I love. Close but I can tell you're set up is a little different.

Long song, no problem. The mix is pretty close to being done.

I thought the drums sounded very mechanical. Not a lot of dynamics between the ghost notes and the snare hits and the same pattern throughout. I could not hear the cymbals too well, but that might be me and some hearing problems popping up. However, the rest of the drum kit sounded good. Good thump on the kick and nice snare.

You mentioned having a big ending for the last song on an album and while it is long and does have a build up, I didn't get the bigness (is that a word) that maybe it could be to end an album with.

Dude, hope all is going well with you. :)

Hey Chili - long time... :eek: I actually undid a lot of stuff on the drums - I just had too much going on and wanted to get it all back to something a bit simpler. I'll have a tinker over the weekend though - and also give some thought to the ending to ramp it up a bit. Moar guitars! :laughings: I'll probably use 2 x strummed / distorted single notes following the chords, and give the Vienna boy's choir I have in there already courtesy of Omnisphere a kick up the arse, or add some other pad type noise. Just when you think you're done.... :confused: I'm good, largely. Just have to work out the whole "album" thing next... :mad: Hope you're well too...

Didn't read other comments.

What have you done to the vocal EQ, if anything? Just wondering. Also, do you not like compressing the track much? Not saying you don't have any compression on the master, but just thinking it might make a better listen if it weren't as dynamic. (oh no! the devil!) Really though, I think a little less dynamics might work for the better. Great mix though, and the song too. Always love your music Arm

Not a lot on the vocal EQ andrush - high pass, a notch here and there - less than normal probably. Interesting comment on the compression - I hadn't thought about it much. Individual elements are compressed - the backing vocals in particular, but haven't put anything on the 2 bus. I didn't think it was particularly dynamic, but I'll have a listen over the weekend. Thanks for the listen. ;)

Nice song, good vibe.

I also felt the drums seemed mechanical. The snare is bright, very dry and a bit up front. The bass sits behind the kick rather than with it. The kick lacks definition, which might be okay, but I'd lean toward giving it at least a hint more click if I were mixing this.

Technically speaking, the song is a little on the loud side at 11.8dBLUFS integrated. The peak of the mp3 hits +0.5dBFS (accounting for intersample peaking). It definitely needs more headroom and, depending on the destination, might need to be lower on the LUFS scale.

That key or synth tone in the beginning is a bit lofi, like a Casio. It deserves better. I dig the guitar solo. Nice playing. The "I want to be somebody's hero section is the strongest part of the song, by far. The "If I can just keep breathing part" repeated a hundred times adds nothing. Melodically and lyrically it's the weakest part, and doesn't deserve the length of time you give it. The song would be tighter and better if you dropped it. The song is long and meandering. Just go back to your A and B sections. Bring in that hooky chorus more often. Keep with a tighter and more concise structure. Shave off two minutes. The drums are a problem in every song. Your songs won't groove. Your drum programming is more about being fiddly and clever than laying it down solid. Getting a groove would take it to the next level.

Lyrically, the sentiments ring true. As a fellow aging fart I can relate! :wtf:

:cool:

Nice song, good vibe.

I also felt the drums seemed mechanical. The snare is bright, very dry and a bit up front. The bass sits behind the kick rather than with it. The kick lacks definition, which might be okay, but I'd lean toward giving it at least a hint more click if I were mixing this.

Technically speaking, the song is a little on the loud side at 11.8dBLUFS integrated. The peak of the mp3 hits +0.5dBFS (accounting for intersample peaking). It definitely needs more headroom and, depending on the destination, might need to be lower on the LUFS scale.

Thanks for the feedback boulder - I've noodled around with the snare sound to (a) lower the volume a touch (b) put a touch more bottom in it (c) shelve the top off a bit. Not sure if I'm there yet as I'm listening now, but it's better than it was. I swapped out the kick for a clickier one. Also pulled the limiter back a couple of dB - I hadn't noticed it going a bit harder than normal - appreciate the pickup - although I don't understand the technicalities of it. I'll read up.

I never know what to do with the 'mechanical' thing - not being a drummer myself - I've learnt that the "humanise" function on these VSTs is very hit and miss so I don't use it. Perhaps I should try it again.

Last edited:
That key or synth tone in the beginning is a bit lofi, like a Casio. It deserves better.

It's a mellotron VSTi and is what it is. I've unwound the HPF and LPF on the EQ to make it a little less lo-fi, however.

I dig the guitar solo. Nice playing. The "I want to be somebody's hero section is the strongest part of the song, by far. The "If I can just keep breathing part" repeated a hundred times adds nothing. Melodically and lyrically it's the weakest part, and doesn't deserve the length of time you give it. The song would be tighter and better if you dropped it. The song is long and meandering.
It's long. That's deliberate. It's not meandering - that's just your opinion. And you're completely wrong about the "keep breathing part".

Just go back to your A and B sections. Bring in that hooky chorus more often. Keep with a tighter and more concise structure. Shave off two minutes.

No.

The drums are a problem in every song. Your songs won't groove. Your drum programming is more about being fiddly and clever than laying it down solid. Getting a groove would take it to the next level.

Your opinion.... the mythical "groove" you always comment on. I'm not trying to be tricky at all, I'm trying to program as I'd it want it to drummed. It's clearly not for you. I'm ok with that.
Lyrically, the sentiments ring true. As a fellow aging fart I can relate! :wtf:

:cool:

The song is not about getting old. The song is about NOT getting old. Read it again... Thank for the listen, as always.;)

The song is not about getting old. The song is about NOT getting old. Read it again... Thank for the listen, as always.;)

It is, in the sense that those sentiments would be silly coming from a younger man.

Always happy to help Armistice. May your mythical groove become reality! :thumbs up:

Last edited:
Back