The Dachays and me

ChuckU

Dachay2tnr and I have collaborated on Chicago's "Does Anybody Really Know What Time it is?"
It's here. Under XP I only had to click on it.

http://home.comcast.net/~jcaporaso/music/

All vocals are the Dachays. I played trumpet and bass guitar. My friends did drums, sax and keys. The keyboard player also did the trombone part thru his Roland sound module.

Enjoy

Kudos....a damned good rendition. nice mix and the tones were very accurately reproduced and very authentic sounding. The main vocal appeared to need a bit more familiarity with the words so as to "let loose" a bit more. Horns were really good, one (just one) spot reflected a slight pitch on doubled. With it that clean and bright, a touch more "room" on the band would maybe smooth and soften a touch. just imho.... I miss that trombone on the end a bit though.. :)

I worked with a horn band way back in the "I`m a drifter" days. This was a great dynamic tune to play for me, very fun bass line...

Most everything sounds good, but I thought the vocals were pretty weak! :D :D

Kidding aside, thanks to Chuck for letting us have some fun with this one. The music tracks mirrored the original quite nicely, so it was easy to sing to. I know a lot of work went into this. And, BTW, a fine job on the trumpet.

Kenny, I miss the trombone at the end, too. But I've already told Chuck that. I imagine it would have been pretty hard to nail on a keyboard though. :)

damn that sounds great. My only comment is the trumpet sounds maybe louder than everything else? if it's supposed to maybe it shouldnt be panned to the left it sounds kind of unbalanced.

what are they talkin about? the vox sound awesome. is there reverb on the lead vocal? sounds really crisp.

T

Ill listen at work tomorrow I promise. I have got to hear you guyeses since you are so cool that you have your own daw with add thread!
Damn 5this bee3r is strong

I would hope the Dude knows my angle in the comments I posted. The vocals are smoove and tight. And this is one of the toughest, as far as in-depth vocal and instrument arrangements go, that I`ve heard pulled off in the clinic, and be so clean. And extremely successful in the endeavor for this rendition. Most anyone would be hard pressed to touch this bar. This piece can serve as a good reference tool for vocal and instrument arrangement, and mix for a good many folks.
hehehe... but if ya draw me in I`ll hunt for that extra 1 or 2% thats out there somewhere. Could be after a brandy and a cigar, a break for a bit to something unrelated, or a "let`s spin 'em one more time guys and let`s push on the feeling". Oh, Chuck you got good touch baby....

It`s all relative ya know, the deeper the perspective on the canvas.. the deeper the scrutiny. Dang, what I`m saying may not make sense, but I hope it does. :)

Toki987 said:
This piece can serve as a good reference tool for vocal and instrument arrangement, and mix for a good many folks.

Well, the arrangement is Chicago's. We just listened and figured out our parts.

As for the mixing, that's Dachay2tnr. Now that's setting the bar. Hate to admit that to a Yankee fan....;)

Finally got around to listening to this...WOW!This seems like a pretty ambitious project,but you guys really pulled it off.
I'll have to listen to this some more on some different systems.

LATER!:D

This sounds great!

dachay2tnr's vocals really make it.

The horns are sweet,great arrangement.
Drums are big and meaty.

One really fine collab guys!

Pete

wow, im floored. Vocals are extremely clear,the trumpet and horn section flows nicely, drums are amazingly clear. Either u used really good equipment, or you mixed very well.

Thanks for listening, guys and for all the positive feedback.

Qwerty, the track is still up. Not sure why you're having trouble.

Chuck will have to tell you what equipment he used for the music tracks. As for the vocals, they were recorded using an SP C1 mic, into a Mackie mixer, into a Delta 1010 sound card, and then into Sonar. I also used the free Anwida reverb on them, and if memory serves right, I also used the Cakewalk FxChorus plugin on the bgv's.

As for the collaboration, Chuck laid down the all the music tracks and mailed me the entire Sonar file on CD. We then added the vocals, and I did the final mix and mastering.

Like the Dachays, my signal chain went through a Mackie mixer, a Delta-1010 sound card and Sonar.

I recorded the drums with seven mics. The two rack toms and the snare were Sm-57's. The overheads were Marshall MXL-603's. Sennheiser 421 on floor tom and a Shure Beta-52 on the kick. I didn't need a separate hihat mic for this song.

Keys and trombone patch were patches from a Roland sound module. Bass was through a Johnson J-station as I still have no quality DI (that is soon to change).

We recorded the drums, piano and bass all at the same time, monitoring thru headphones. So I was recording nine tracks at once at 24-bit 44.1khz. The drums and keys took up all 8 of the Delta 1010's analog ins, while the bass, via the J-station was able to go digital. Our "click track" was a rip of the original track by Chicago. That's how we kept time and knew where we were in the song.

Horns were dubbed later. I recorded the trumpet thru the Sennheiser I used on the floor tom. This is my best dynamic mic and can handle the considerable spl from the trumpet. For sax I used a Marshall V67. Even though sax is back in the mix in this song, I recorded a jazz improv with the same player thru that mic with great results a while back
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1400&alid=-1.

Back