The Circus Is In Town!

boydrj

Hello everyone ...

Here is a new one. I have my armor on for this one so I am ready. Probably not up everyone's alley ...

The song is called "Dancing (Like A MerryGoRound)"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/theinside/singles

BTW -- Has anyone seen or heard from Chris Harris and Jamal lately? :)

Thanks for listening and I welcome all feedback.

I thought that sounded really cool! Reminds me of Pink Floyd.

MICRODOT FOR EVERYONE! :D

I loved the guitar. I really didn't know what to make of it at first when the calliope started. It really surprised me.

My only negative is that on the walking bass on the piano, it didn't have enough initial attack for a real piano.

Good job.

Another great tune!

Great groove of course, but some very nice space in the verses. Great transitions as well! Smooth.

I'm trying to think of the Doors tune (or tunes) that this reminds me of. Doesn't matter. This is very creative work bro. Nice job. I won't bother commenting on mix, other than it sounds great and any changes would be preference. And I think the vocals are sitting in there very well too.

Nice drums sounds as well. Great writing all around. Give yourself an atta-boy.

Tom

is jamal the same person as somebody else?

are there many people here who are actually the same person?

i keep seeing posts that make me wonder.

this needs more of the wah wah guitar!

the drums and bass are very busy but the synth part is simple. maybe the synth part should be more complex?

the whole thing is nifty and surreal.

the melody is a little like the stones playing with fire!

do you do the whole thing yourself?

:)

Thanks!

Woo Hoo! I got One star! I guess one is better than none!

Sennheiser -- Thanks man! You are the first one ever to hear this (other than myself) ... Yes, I just used an old casio keyboard that I have for the piano part. I was too lazy to use one of my better patches, I guess. Thanks for the listen!

Sluice -- Thanks a lot for taking a listen. Is the Doors tune you're thinking of "Whisky Bar"? That may be the only one I could compare it to. Thanks for your comments!

Jeap -- Thanks! I think Chris Harris and Jamal are the same person! lol :) I was gonna record another guitar track, but I got tired of it and just left it as is. Maybe in a few weeks I'll revisit it to see if I can add anymore. Thanks much for the listen!

p.s. I've got to get going, but I'll check out some of your all's tunes when I get back (bad grammar alert)

Later.

Re: Thanks!

boydrj said:

Sluice -- Thanks a lot for taking a listen. Is the Doors tune you're thinking of "Whisky Bar"? That may be the only one I could compare it to. Thanks for your comments!

Oh show me the way to the next whiskey bar. Oh don't ask why....oh don't ask why.

Now we'll all have it in our head for 3 days.

That's the one. Again, good tune!

Sennheiser -- Thanks man! You are the first one ever to hear this (other than myself) ... Yes, I just used an old casio keyboard that I have for the piano part. I was too lazy to use one of my better patches, I guess. Thanks for the listen!

I'm Honored! I thought it really sounded good.

Sounds like you're having some of the same problems with your Casio piano patch as I'm having with my Casio drum fills.

They suck. They've improved though with some EQ and a boatload of compression. They'll never replace live though and that's for sure.

wow-very interesting and original tune! Im kind of speechless-ok first where did that beginning circus organ come from?? nice bass line sounds like an aston barret bass line-kinda raggae and spacey. I like the panning hi hats-my god that change at ~2:50 back to the circus is wiiiiild. Im actually laughing hearing the circus at the end..ok 3rd listen heh-the only thing that bothers me about this is the doubled vocals but that could be a personal pref.--man this is great stuff! who's the foo who gave you 1 star!Excellent work my man!

a song you can smoke to..

very interesting tune.. Nice sounds..

The recording sounds good, but I think the vocal doubling doesn't always work.. If one is a bit off, and then you add another one, it can sometimes be like 2 out of tune guitars playing.. Not for all the parts, just for some.. It really is a cool and interesting tune.. The percussion seemed to get me a bit dizzy because it seems to be switching from left to right too much imhop.. The recording and sound is very good..

I like this, especially the break around 2:55 or so.. I like a song I can smoke to..

Mind if I steal some of your ideas? :eek:

(just kidding) :D

Thanks again, my friends!

Jeap -- I almost forgot, I did play all the instruments -- well except for the drums which was a machine ... wish I had the tracks and percussion instruments to do it for real ...

Senn -- I hear you with the old Casio stuff. It was one of those things where I wrote it on that particular keyboard, and then just said "ah, to hell with it..." and used that keyboard to record most of it as well.

Sluice -- "For if we don't find the next whisky bar, I tell you we must die..." It is now permanently stuck in my head ... ahhhgghh ..

Strat -- Thanks for your kind words! The beginning circus stuff came from an old sound effects disk that I have floating around. I use it every so often if there is a sound that I think might be cool to add to a tune. I think it was actually taken from a real circus somewhere. The bass line was actually the first part of this to be written. I just used the keyboard to play it, and of course the drums were canned (I wish I had several percussionist to really make it better...) Thanks again!

Sab -- Thanks man! I hear you about the vocals. That is the part I always struggle with. I know I need to get away from double tracking, but it is one of those bad habits that are hard to break. Thanks again!

Hey You...

You already know how I feel about this tune. I'm posting to ask a favor. If you're going to re-do the vox (that's IF you are), lemme' know if I can hear a copy of it with just one vocal...(i.e., before the doubling).

Cool work,
Chris

nice calliope... but it sounds like a sound effect punched in the beginning and especially at the end.

tune is fairly decent, but the singing kinda sucks. It is subpar to the rest of the tune...sonically and especially performance wise.
The bendy organ sound is a tad strange too.
This sounds more like a groove happening....with some "spoken" kinda vocals on them.

the change up around the 3 min mark is much needed, but you get back to the 'same ole' without wasting too much time.

Oh...I do hear the Doors "whiskey bar"...for sure...my first thoughts

Thanks again!

Chris -- I'll PM you when I get around to redoing it. Thanks for your words.

Mix -- Thanks for the honesty there. I was feeling the same thing especially about the singing. I kind of just did it and posted. I am actually working on re-recording the vocals simply because I mostly agree with you. Thanks man! :)

listening right now...beginin very nicely done!!!
doubled vocals nope....lol....not gonna like that....."just like the merry go round ON WHICH the children play .."...maybe ????.
is this all loops?...i didnt read the rev posts sorry:D ...so if this is redundent......

this needs like a kick right around 2:00...maybe??...to add dynamics of some sort.....i.m. o.

cool vibe to this tho....groovy..

nice work.
like the drum break!!...
thanks
jamal

Very original!

(seriously, check some of our stuff at www.the-boogiemen.com, very similar stuff)

The shakes/cymbals are a bit loud, and this too could use some compression/saturation to bring everything more "up front" in the mix. But over all I think the originality wins (it always does).

Back