The Chiffons - ONE FINE DAY a cappella

Treeline

Here's something I'm working on for my daughter's a cappella vocal group - a cover of the Chiffons One Fine Day. I had a hell of a rumble from the building HVAC systems that I couldn't get out for a long time... this is about as good as I've been able to get it so far. Lemme know yer thoughts... View attachment ONE FINE DAY Mixdown.mp3

Thanks! :drunk:

The singing is absolutely fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell your daughter and her friends they rock hard!
Not getting any HVAC in my headphones - even if it was there I couldn't hear it with the incredible singing!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Great singing! Pitching and phrasing is so tight. My daughter likewise sung in an a capella jazz quartet. She's a soprano with a voice not dissimilar to the sop in this group, so I have a particular interest.

I can hear some underlying artifacts from either noise reduction or MP3 conversion, I'm not sure which.

Can I assume you used the room's natural reverb?

Great singing! Pitching and phrasing is so tight. My daughter likewise sung in an a capella jazz quartet. She's a soprano with a voice not dissimilar to the sop in this group, so I have a particular interest.

I can hear some underlying artifacts from either noise reduction or MP3 conversion, I'm not sure which.

Can I assume you used the room's natural reverb?

Thanks all!

I believe you're hearing HVAC rumble that I could not isolate. We recorded in a chapel music practice room at Goucher College near Baltimore; it was an acoustically sensitive, but not a true studio space. Next time I'll cut the ventilation system to the building...

This was recorded live with fifteen voices, no audio baffles. It has a very slight touch of iZotope reverb on the final mix. Most of the cuts on this album (there will be nine all told) have a subtle natural room reverb and delay from mic placement.

The singers formed a circle around a mic tree with an SP C3 set as omni, suspended from a large choir boom in the center, two cardioid LDCs underneath and two PZM mics providing four compass points of source. I recorded from one to five tracks; this involved three with the OH and the LDCs.

Signal was run through subtractive eq; one track had predominantly lower voices and I applied a filter and so forth with each track, intending to accentuate its strongest frequencies. Each track then ran through a light compressor before mixing. Everything had a low cut from 100 hz down because of the HVAC rumble.

I was also able to pick out a band of rumble using Adobe Audition's spectral toys and pulled those frequencies down. I've learned to keep a long header on these tunes and can get a room noise signature from that, and so using that signature ran the tune through consecutive light passes of AA's noise reduction. Final mix was then compressed, reverb added and I ran it all through a brick wall limiter.

Thanks all!

I believe you're hearing HVAC rumble that I could not isolate. We recorded in a chapel music practice room at Goucher College near Baltimore; it was an acoustically sensitive, but not a true studio space. Next time I'll cut the ventilation system to the building...

This was recorded live with fifteen voices, no audio baffles. It has a very slight touch of iZotope reverb on the final mix. Most of the cuts on this album (there will be nine all told) have a subtle natural room reverb and delay from mic placement.

The singers formed a circle around a mic tree with an SP C3 set as omni, suspended from a large choir boom in the center, two cardioid LDCs underneath and two PZM mics providing four compass points of source. I recorded from one to five tracks; this involved three with the OH and the LDCs.

Signal was run through subtractive eq; one track had predominantly lower voices and I applied a filter and so forth with each track, intending to accentuate its strongest frequencies. Each track then ran through a light compressor before mixing. Everything had a low cut from 100 hz down because of the HVAC rumble.

I was also able to pick out a band of rumble using Adobe Audition's spectral toys and pulled those frequencies down. I've learned to keep a long header on these tunes and can get a room noise signature from that, and so using that signature ran the tune through consecutive light passes of AA's noise reduction. Final mix was then compressed, reverb added and I ran it all through a brick wall limiter.

You've done well to get the voices blending so well. I found recording the four voices of Breathless (daughter's group) a challenge, let alone fifteen!

I wonder what it would sound like if you tried a bigger room size with the reverb, or would that interfere too much with the existing room?

You mean a little longer reverb? I can play with that easily. I use reverb like wasabi... delicious but a little goes a long way.

Yeah great singing. Nice vocal arrangement too.

I'm hearing a bit of what sounds like some phase issues. Might be reflections from the room in combination with the omni mic. Could also be your reverb/delay if you're using one.

Yeah great singing. Nice vocal arrangement too.

I'm hearing a bit of what sounds like some phase issues. Might be reflections from the room in combination with the omni mic. Could also be your reverb/delay if you're using one.

I think the 'phase issues' are associated with Tree's noise reduction efforts with the air conditioning. But there is something disturbing about the room (maybe the reflections), and I can't put my finger on it. That's why I'm thinking a spacier reverb . . . or something.

I'll just add to what I said at the other place. Nice work.

For grins, I played around with it and put some larger Hall reverbs on it, and I personally liked the results. I agree there's something a little bit "off" about the space. You might try some slightly larger verbs and see if you like it.

Also, it's not a big deal, but you seem to have quite a bit of headroom left in your mix. I'm not saying you should squish it, but you certainly didn't brickwall limit it, so it's a bit quiet. Even normalizing it I think you'll get an extra 6db or so out of it.

Back