The C01U sucks!

sdsmith64

You can ONLY use ONE mic at a time .... :mad: I'm trying to do a podcast talk show with 4 Mics (Me , my co-host and 2 guests)...I've done real radio talk shows before.
I'm using a (new)Apple G5 and 4 C01U (USB) mics. My Mac "sees" the 4 mics BUT only allows me to pic one for all audio input....that sucks! on the site it said "The worlds first USB Studio Condenser Microphone
Ideal for Podcasting!" ...i don't think so...I'm i doing something wrong? http://www.samsontech.com/index.cfm

Dunno if this will work or if you have the equipment capable of doing so but run your 4 mics into your mac into any multi-track recording program, output those to an outboard mixer and then send a mixed down feed back into the computer. From there, just set that input for your podcast feed....

All in all, thats a lot of wiring and routing but is an easy fix if you have the equipment and computer power.

Also, are you running all of these mics off the same USB card? If so, try switching them around to the built in card and possibly another card on the computer or one that you have installed. Some hardware is picky about running multiple units that are the same on the same bus.

is podcasting like an internet radio?
in that case i'm affraid the software is built only for one mic,
its not a multitrack thing, so as far as i know its not possible to have a seperate volume control for every mic

even when i use my computer to do voice-chats i connect my mic (414) to my mixing desc, if i want to do it with ten people at the same time i all give them a seperate studiomic(hehe) and control the volume via the mixing desc,

one audio output goes to the computer and i don't have to change any volume in the software

....ps...i find it really amusing that there is such a thing as an USB studiomic

:D

I'm guessing since the Analog-Digital conversion is happening inside the microphone (really bad idea for a multitude of reasons), there is no way to sync the clocks for each microphone's A/D converter. It's pretty much the same reason why you can't record with more than one soundcard at a time (and make it sound "good" and sync'd up)

This is reason #34454 why the Samson USB Microphone is a bad idea.

If you're running Tiger (Mac OS X version 10.4), create an aggregate device and enable resampling.

External synchronization is -so- 2004. :D

Back