The best Soundcard for the DM-24!!!

FanTC®

Hello there.

Do you own a Tascam DM-24 ??
I like to know:
What interface do you use or, are you planning to buy. What do you think about it. Did you have problems with installation? Are there still unsolved problems? Etc. etc.

I found out these soundcards are interesting for the DM-24. Take a look at them.
Notes:
  • The Sek'D and Digital audio labs have DTRS built in!
  • The Mutu has 24 channel TDif

Are there more cards capable to handle 16 to 24 channel TDif?

Thank you for reading

Henry

PS: I think we can learn a lot from this. And help eachother

Motu 2408 Mk3

Here is my setup:

Motu 2408:

Motivation:
I thought the combination 2408/DM would be perfect. The DM has 24channel TDif and so does the Motu. The motu is 16/20/24 bits and 44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz and so is the DM-24.

Problems:
I've solved some problems but these are still there:
1. I got a heavy processor load for about one minute if I switched settings for the Motu. My system became unstable when switching. I solved it by turning off S.M.A.R.T. for my Raid drive. Now the overload is there but only for about two seconds. This is not a big problem I only have to be carefull not to switch during recording. I don't know if it's my mobo, I'll try it on my other system when I have time.
2. My second problem is that the DM cannot be turned off while the Motu is still on. It is known that the DM get's some power from the TDif connectors. More people have the same problem however it doesn't seem to give anny other side-effects.
3. I have one problem whitch I don't know if the Motu is resposable or the DM or maybe SX or my powersource. I get a tick one or two times per hour. Verry irritating. I don't know where it comes from yet. Haven't heard from other users that they have the same problem.
4. The Motu forum sucks. Almost zero replies and mail.

Good things:
With this combination you are able to route 24 channels 24bits/96kHz I/O, devided in three banks, for each bank you can choose the source to be ADAT, TDif or analog, anywhere you want them in 24bits/96kHz. Beside the 24 digital i/o channels you also have 8 i/o of analog channels aswell so this becomes a total of 32 inputs and outputs!! Plus there's also SPdif I/O. You also have DSP mixing, a DSP will do all the mixing calculations if you switch SX to direct monitoring.

Tips:
You need a sync signal to sync-lock the DM and the Motu. TDif's sync is only useable with Tascam recorders and ADAT sync will not do it. Use seperate 75 Ohm WORD sync cable instead and sync to that.
The 2408's using audiowire and not firewire like other Motu products. You need a free PCI slot for the PCI 424 audiowire card.

I hope this is useable for (future)users. I know I would be helped if I was looking for a sound-card.

Have a great day
Henry

Last edited:
I have a DM-24 with a MOTU 2408 MKII and an Alesis HD24. I like the setup quite a lot. I need to buy ADAT I/O for the DM24 though. Right now I got TDIF into MOTU then convert that to ADAT. It's fine for recording, but playing back while recording can be a hassle. I also use the BNC cable for clocking. I really think the motu is the best card on the market for digital mixers. I know lots of people don't like the support they offer for PCs, but I haven't had a single problem. It just works.

MIKE

I have a DM-24 with a MOTU 2408 MKII and an Alesis HD24. I like the setup quite a lot. I need to buy ADAT I/O for the DM24 though. Right now I got TDIF into MOTU then convert that to ADAT. It's fine for recording, but playing back while recording can be a hassle. I also use the BNC cable for clocking. I really think the motu is the best card on the market for digital mixers. I know lots of people don't like the support they offer for PCs, but I haven't had a single problem. It just works.

MIKE

MIKE

Thanx for the input!
Thanx for the input!
Thanx for the input!
:D

I'm happy to hear you don't have any problems. I've heard more Motu owners that they have no problems at all. Maybe that's why the Motu forum has not manny visitors??:confused:
Like I said I don't know if my problems are mobo related.

I DID IT

I put the PCI 424 in another system and quess what?

My ticking problem has dissapeared..............

There's no heavy processor load annymore............

So......I need a new mobo.....the otherone was brandnew.....

Anybody has need for a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP????

With one Gig DDR 266????

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

I've got a mixtreme that is functioning very well right now. I like the accurate EQ, but it overloads more easily thatn most other digital EQs. It's a little tough to figure out the routing, but once you do...

Sorry about the 3-post, the board was slow that night and I guess I just kept clicking. hehee. Yeah, MOTU message boards suck. MOTU combatability sucks, but MOTU gear doesn't suck. I would just suggest buying your MOTU products from a place that allows returns, that way if your gear isn't combatable, you still can take it back.

I wish MOTU would make Linux drivers. I also wish other companies would make soundcards as good as MOTU, but neither thing is going to happen anytime soon...

Yeah, it's a shame for such a good product. I've heard Motu's doing much better for the Mac platform while RME is much better for PC's.

I'm still not convinced that I've tried averything possible on my Gigabyte mobo to get it work right. So I'm planning to give it one last chance.

I keep you posted.
Henry

Motu

Mastshnke, Can you use the DM24 with the Alesis HD24 without the Moyu if you have the additional Adat light pipe cards?
Thanks, Calkaren

FanTC® said:
Yeah, it's a shame for such a good product. I've heard Motu's doing much better for the Mac platform while RME is much better for PC's.

I'm still not convinced that I've tried averything possible on my Gigabyte mobo to get it work right. So I'm planning to give it one last chance.

I keep you posted.
Henry

Well I did give Gigabyte another chance. And it worked............
I feel a little stupid. I forgot one thing. I didn't try the DM as master clock. I read in the Tascam forum that the Word-clock from the DM is much more stable.
But I have to say I didn't try this in the first place because Motu adviced to let the 2408 be the master so I did.

Hope this is usefull.
Henry

Motu its great... but:

I would like to take of those analog ins/outs and replace them for some midi ins/outs.

dm24 and this little replacement could be... just the perfect Duo.

Back