The best overall soundcard/software

JoeRobinson

Hey!

I'm new to this board but not to recording in general. I'm finally making to upgrade from analog to digital and am looking for some opinions. I've been looking at all the available soundcards under $400-500, and also the software. I'm planning on getting an ACID product for mostly accompanyment, a newer soundcard, and multitrack software. I think it's terrible that the cards don't include software, but that's another topic!

Anyway, I'd like to know more about some certain cards/software, as well as any suggestions you may have.

SB Live Platnium
EMU Audio Production studio
Gina
Lexicon Core2
Ardvark Direct
Cool Edit Pro
Powertracks Pro 5
Cakewalk Guitar 2
Cakewalk 8-9

Thanks,
Joe

Joe:

See my response to a post dated 11/9/99 under the topic "Guitar Studio 2" in the Cakewalk Forum to get my opinion on at least the guitar studio 2 part of your question. As to the soundcard, I have an SBLive that I run a mixer into. It's great for Half-Life or Quake II, but I will be upgrading to a multi(more than 2)-channel interface as soon as I get approval from my purchasing dept.(see wife).

dmc

[This message has been edited by dmcsilva (edited 11-16-1999).]

I use the SB Live! with Cakewalk 9 and it seems to work fine. I have Guitar but
don't need to use it since most of the features of Guitar are on Pro Audio 9.
I don't have a need for multiple inputs since I use an outboard mixer and only
record myself in the studio. The outboard mixer also allows for headphone monitor-
ing without recycling the signal back into Cakewalk. The mixer I prefer is the
Peavey RSM 4062. It's a brand new mixer that is more economical and feature-
packed than the Mackie. You should be real happy with the products that are on
your list. Good luck....pete o

Back