the BEST A/D converters (short of apogee)

arena rock

I've got an M Audio Delta Omni, and the sound is pretty good. But I am thinking of upgrading to a different setup...as it is now, the Omni has two good, if rather generic sounding mic inputs ...I'd like to get a minimum 2 input mic pre with LOTS of personality and then also get the highest quality stand alone Analog to Digital converter I can find , short of the too expensive Apogee's , and then go mic pre > A/D converter > then digitally into the computer with some sort of simple digital input card THAT HAS AES connectors at +4 dB's....

You might also look at the Mytek:

http://www.atlasproaudio.com/mytek.html

They are slightly more than the Lucid but still under 1K. The Benchmark, noted above by Blue Bear, is a D/A converter as opposed to an A/D converter. It's also in the under 1k range. (He may be trying to drop a subtle hint that D/A conversion is helpful if you want to hear all the benefits of quality A/D conversion in your monitor setup. Or maybe he made a rare mistake!)

I'll assume you mean "downright inexpensive" and go from there...

M-Audio's Flying Cow is pretty high on the Bang-For-The-Buck list... If I was looking for an inexpensive (let's say "entry-level dedicated converter") unit that performed well it would probably be at the top of a very short list.

But some day, get that Apogee!

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

I've used a Roland MMP (mic modelling preamp) successfully as a ADC box. These are very cheap at present. The converters are fine. Another option is a Lexicon MPX 110/200/500/550 - again ignoring the effects.

ALMOST FORGOT - Also very cheap -

Don't laugh - This thing tested pretty high on the blind tests...

Behringer DEQ2496. It also has a bunch of half-assed "mastering" toys (similar to an entry-level Finalizer) also.

I actually have one that I use for live situations and other goofy things.

The converters on it were actually pretty impressive as long as you don't smash them. There, they take a complete dump.

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Lynxtwo, the L22(2 in 2 out $650) is un fukk witable at its price point. lucid stuff apogee stuff at a similar price or even a few bucks higher ain't fukkin wit it. best bang for the buck converters out now...

Back