The best <$400 condensor on the market?

Griffinator

No, I'm not offering an opinion - I'm looking for one. I've heard great things about a lot of different large-diaphragm condensors in this price range, so I figured I'd see about getting the lot of you to convince me into a particular model.

I need a unit that is going to be accurate and clean for vocal applications, specifically for my naturally loud and projective voice. I also need it to play nice with my ART DI/O, as I do nearly all my instrumentation in sequencers, and hate using soundcards for analog-to-digital conversions.

(let the debates begin)

This has been covered ad nauseum to no decisive conclusion. Do you just want someone to give you the answer?

If so, I'll say Marshall MXL-V67.

400 or less?

You should test-drive yourself a Rode NT2.

And I don't really think this subject has been driven in to the ground. Usually people want one for $300 or $200 or less. This is the first time I've seen a "best condenser less than $400" thread, so it's cool by me.

Yes, well I am VERY happy with my MC-012 Oktava microphone. A pop filter is a must, but it sounds great. Mine has 3 capsules (OMNI, CARDIOID, & HYPER-CARDIOID), so I can get the directional pattern that I want. I prefer the "small diaphram" mics over the "large diaphram" ones because the transient response is much better. Also, "off axis" response is more accurate. The only other mics that I like are the PZM types that hear like a human ear. Note, they will pick up everything, so I tend to reach for the Oktava since I don't have an isolation booth....

Under $400, I would flip a 3-sided coin and take either the C1, Marshall MXL V67G, or the Rode NT1000. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these mics.

You could get a mxlv67 and a Studio Projects C1 for that much. Between the two I think you would be set.

Beezoboy

After a day of driving and listening to various tracks of mine over the past year and knowing there were at least 5 mics involved in the vocals, in that atmosphere I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe they are all good. Positioning of the mic and performance are more important it seems.

Rod said:
Yes, well I am VERY happy with my MC-012 Oktava microphone. A pop filter is a must, but it sounds great. Mine has 3 capsules (OMNI, CARDIOID, & HYPER-CARDIOID), so I can get the directional pattern that I want. I prefer the "small diaphram" mics over the "large diaphram" ones because the transient response is much better. Also, "off axis" response is more accurate. The only other mics that I like are the PZM types that hear like a human ear. Note, they will pick up everything, so I tend to reach for the Oktava since I don't have an isolation booth....

Hey Rod,

Which of the three capsules do you prefer for vocals? Also, have you tried the Marshall MXL603S in this application? They are said to be quite similar to the Oktava MC-012 w/ the omni capsule.

Re: Rode NT-2

Dolemite said:
Guess who has one for sale?

hmmm...

---------------------

Alright, so you caught me in the act of spamming. :) Guilty as charged.

Spamming aside, I do love this mic. I honestly think it is noticeably better than all the bang-for-buck Chinese condensers flooding the market. But only by a hair. The best out there for less than $400? Yes. The best VALUE for <$400? No.

From my experience, when the NT2 shines, it REALLY shines. Put it up against just the right accoustic guitar with just the right kind of strings, and it's like magic. Likewise, with certain types of voices, it sounds H-E-A-V-E-N-L-Y.

But I have also found that it really SUCKS as a drum overhead. Unless of course you really like a lot of exaggerated, overly-annoying hi-hat and crash cymals dominating your mix like fingernails on a chalk board. :) :)

Rod--I just did a test of four mics for vocals, and I was extremely surprised at how good the Octava 012 sounded on my voice. I used the cardiod capsule, BTW. I didn't expect to get the quality I got. It sounded as good as the V67, and the 4033 in my application (somewhere between the two, to my ear). I second the pop filter suggestion, Without one, you are asking for big trouble with this mic. Beyond that, its a pretty amazing little mic.

Psychologically, it doesn't give you that mindset of big=better (and bigger) but it is quite capable of reproducing vocals as well as drums and acoustic instruments. Like any good mic, placement is important. I am just getting into exploring the sonic possiblilities of the 012. I still want a V67 or V93, but I may find that in the end, they won't be any better than the 012. We shall see.

Sorry for being so talkative here . . .

but I have to agree with you on the 012's. My favorite for drum overheads and accoustic guitars. I had no idea they were any good on vocals. I'm going to have to test them out as such. You got my curiosity!

btw . . . Have you seen the M-1 lollipop heads that you can screw on to them? I have heard that will give you an outstanding sound on vocals.

What do you all think of the Audio-Technica AT3035? Or the Rode NT1? How do they compare to, say, a Studio Projects C1? I'm looking to purchase a pair for use mostly as overheads on a drum kit, but some acoustic guitar, congas, and the occasional vocal will probably find their way to these mics... I can't seem to find the Marshall MXLv67 anywhere; is this mic in the $200 range, like the aforementioned mics? I've read alot on the v67 and the C1, but the AT3035 and NT1 reviews are few and far between... Any thoughts, opinions, and experience with these mics will be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

Don't know enough about the AT to comment, but the NT1 is pretty decent, but nothing spectacular. But DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT get an NT1 if it's primary purpose is for drum overheads. Please see my comment above about the NT2.

Crawdad and Rod have been talking about the Oktava MC-012, and you should really take notice of their discussion. For drum overheads and accoustic guitar, I can think of nothing better for the money (around $150). It has a very flat, honest frequency response, so it will capture just about anything faithfully.

I'm not sure about the vocals, but Crawdad seeims to think they're underrated in that regard.

The C1 and the Marshall are both solid mics, also, by the way.

Re: Re: Rode NT-2

chessrock said:

---------------------

Alright, so you caught me in the act of spamming. :) Guilty as charged.

Well, you never get to bitch Alan out again! ;)

Spamming aside, I do love this mic. I honestly think it is noticeably better than all the bang-for-buck Chinese condensers flooding the market. But only by a hair.

Unfortunately, the Rode's are about as Australian as Mao's Little Red Book.

Subject: Re: Rode NT2 not made in China/other info
Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
View: Complete Thread (5 articles) | Original Format
Date: 1995/12/30

In <pgaray-3012950034580001@van-as-01a13.direct.ca> pgaray@direct.ca (Paul J. Garay) writes:

>In article <4c1fnj$75i@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, elevenshad@aol.com
>(ElevenShad) wrote:
>>There was a thread running a while back about the Freedman Rode NT2 large
>>diaphragm condenser being made, or at least assembled, in China. I
>>happened across a review the other day that stated that the Rode NT2 is
>>actually hand-assembled at Freedman in Australia.

Having been part of the source of info on this mic, when this thread comes up yet again I guess I have to step in again. When I looked at the mic at the NAMM show last year and discussed it with Peter Freedman, he confirmed to me that the capsule, housing, connector, switches, case, mount, etc. were made in China. Specifically I believe, though he would not confirm, that they are made in the Shanghai "Fei Lo" or "Fung Lei" plant which has been making such things since the 50's. Brokers working with that plant and its counterparts in Beijing and Taiyuan have been selling capsules, semi-complete and complete mics through various brand name companies (6 at last count) who add more or less of their own content. Indeed the Freedman circuit board is made in Australia

re: Marshall

See, I've heard that the Marshall is pretty much built for the purpose the name implies - miking guitar amps.

I've heard lots of great things about the Rode stuff - and at least one person has recommended the SP C1 as well.

Once again - my #1 purpose for this badboy is recording my own voice, which is an extremely powerful baritone range and has a great deal of bass overtone (I used to use EV 757s onstage because they had the bass rolloff - any other dynamic just choked under the weight of all that bass)

Certainly I have designs on using it for acoustic guitar, and maybe even miking my Peavey Duece, but what I really need is something that will carry my vocals with as little distortion as possible...

8th Street Music carries the Studio Projects line.BTW they also have the Audio Technica 3525 for $150.I have one and I like it alot.It doesn't seem hyped at all,very clear and natural sounding.It has a high pass filter and a ten db pad,and it comes with a shock mount.

Re: re: Marshall

Griffinator said:
See, I've heard that the Marshall is pretty much built for the purpose the name implies - miking guitar amps.

. . . (I used to use EV 757s onstage because they had the bass rolloff - any other dynamic just choked under the weight of all that bass)

. . . what I really need is something that will carry my vocals with as little distortion as possible...

-------------------

Actually, the name has nothing to do with the other Marshall you're thinking of. It's a whole different company. It's specialty, actually, IS on vocals - not guitar, although I'm sure it wouldn't suck at guitar.

Given your needs, my guess is the C1 might actually be the best option. The newer models have most recently been equiped with a bass rolloff switch, so you're kind of in luck. The Marshalls do not have one, to my knowlege. I have noticed that both the C1 and V67 actually work well with bassier voices -- they have good, aggressive character in the lower timbres.

Another mic you might want to look at is the Shure SM-7. It is a dynamic, but it sounds exceptional on lower voices like your own (it would be flattering on someone like Barry White or James Earl Jones). And it can handle anyting you throw at it. I have one, but it will NEVER be for sale.

The Rodes, on the other hand, have a tendency to work a little better with higher voices from 2nd tenor on up. Very smooth and airy. A bass/baritone might be a misfit with this mic.

Verdict: C1

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/results.tpl?--search_criteria=studio+projects&action=search

Back