Bass - 1 track

Orchestra - 8 tracks

Drums - 8 tracks

Piano - 1 tracks.

I think it’s my best production yet!

Attachments

• Beatles Medley.mp3
    12.2 MB
It's funny that you've done these. I was piddling around on my guitar last week and ended working out Sun King, Mr Mustard, Polythene Pam and Bathroom Window just for fun. No recordings, just wanted to be able to whip it out on acoustic some day. I still can't remember all John's faux Spanish Lyrics.

Oh yeah, for the most part, I was impressed with what you put together. You had me with Golden Slumbers. Good job on the harmony vocals. The one crunch guitar seems way overdriven, just too gnarly compared to the other stuff.

Man those guys have some vocal range, don't they? It's too high for me, and doesn't work if I try to drop a step.

Oh yeah, for the most part, I was impressed with what you put together. You had me with Golden Slumbers. Good job on the harmony vocals. The one crunch guitar seems way overdriven, just too gnarly compared to the other stuff.

Man those guys have some vocal range, don't they? It's too high for me, and doesn't work if I try to drop a step.
Thanks TR! What started as just playing around on guitar and bass turned into something serious.

I’ll have to revisit the amp sim on that one guitar.

And funny about the vocal range. I wouldn’t have been able to do Golden Slumbers a year ago. I drive an hour to and from work so the last year I’ve been pushing to sing songs out of my vocal range and it’s really helped expand my range—if only a little.

Roughly 40 tracks in total!

Vocals - 10 tracks

Guitar - 8 tracks

Bass - 1 track

Orchestra - 8 tracks

Drums - 8 tracks

Piano - 1 tracks.

You got the idea - the songs kind of fall apart as it progresses - and the orchestral parts are hurt by using midi.

Roughly 40 tracks in total!

Vocals - 10 tracks

Guitar - 8 tracks

Bass - 1 track

Orchestra - 8 tracks

Drums - 8 tracks

Piano - 1 tracks.

This is great. Please accept my comments in the way they are intendended and not meant to be critical in any way. The crash cymbal is too loud and needs to be taken down. Your lead vocal needs to sit back a little bit further back in the mix and the backing vocal track needs to brought up. Sorry please do not think I am being too crititical, I love your work mate 😀

This is great. Please accept my comments in the way they are intendended and not meant to be critical in any way. The crash cymbal is too loud and needs to be taken down. Your lead vocal needs to sit back a little bit further back in the mix and the backing vocal track needs to brought up. Sorry please do not think I am being too crititical, I love your work mate 😀
Not at all! That’s feedback I can work with. Thanks!

I quite like it - I'm not good with guitars and drums, but I sort of understand what papinate says about the orchestra - but the fault is NOT MIDI - MIDI always gets the blame for everything when that's like saying it's English that is at fault for a dull novel.

The things here I notice are lack of individual note velocities - very obvious in the pianio near the end - every note is identical and it seems quantised compared to a real player, and it's rather an unconvincing sound? For me - the strings are a sort of synth string wash. No evidence at all of articulation, bowing or ensemble - sort of play a chord, record it, done. There are loads of excellent, and some even free, strings nowadays. Listen to a Beatles recording with strings. You can have a guess as to how many violins there were, or how many cellos - and hear what they are playing and follow the lines. Yours are just a string patch playing block chords. Real strings might have first and second violins playing close together pitch wise, then the violas below them - which sound different. Then the cellos lower down still - three different tones. This is the giveaway for me. It's perectly fine as a 'sound' - but not real. Nothing to do with MIDI. Everything to do with what library you have and how you use it.

Your voice has decent style to it, and I certainly might tweak the occasional pitch - but it's really pretty good, I thought.

I quite like it - I'm not good with guitars and drums, but I sort of understand what papinate says about the orchestra - but the fault is NOT MIDI - MIDI always gets the blame for everything when that's like saying it's English that is at fault for a dull novel.

The things here I notice are lack of individual note velocities - very obvious in the pianio near the end - every note is identical and it seems quantised compared to a real player, and it's rather an unconvincing sound? For me - the strings are a sort of synth string wash. No evidence at all of articulation, bowing or ensemble - sort of play a chord, record it, done. There are loads of excellent, and some even free, strings nowadays. Listen to a Beatles recording with strings. You can have a guess as to how many violins there were, or how many cellos - and hear what they are playing and follow the lines. Yours are just a string patch playing block chords. Real strings might have first and second violins playing close together pitch wise, then the violas below them - which sound different. Then the cellos lower down still - three different tones. This is the giveaway for me. It's perectly fine as a 'sound' - but not real. Nothing to do with MIDI. Everything to do with what library you have and how you use it.

Your voice has decent style to it, and I certainly might tweak the occasional pitch - but it's really pretty good, I thought.
Thanks Rob! Yeah, not much I can do with the orchestra and piano, as I wasn’t the person who recorded those, and god knows those guys are better at me in that regard, anyway.

I feel like the drums and guitars are the best part about this recording. Y’all don’t want to know how much I revisited the solos in The End. Initially I wanted something that strongly deviated from the actual solos. They just weren’t working. So each time I re-recorded the solos, I got a little more closer to what the actual Beatles played in them. It was also a little difficult to play in 3 similar but still different styles with three different tones and counting myself in. Would have been much better if I had three of me that only practiced one style each for a couple days.

But I’m proud of how they turned out. It’s VERY similar now to the solos, more than I’d like, but there’s still some deviation and I think the tones sound great, too.

Shout out to amp sims! I got such great tones for MUCH cheaper than it would have cost for the hardware.

That vibrato guitar you hear at the End of Carry That Weight and The End is emulating the BOSS CE -1. Those things go for a stupid amount of money. I really want the hardware bad, but when I can get something 95% of the way there for $10, I would be a fool to choose the real thing if I have no intention of playing live.

The rhythm parts are drifting.
Can you explain where? Nobody else has said this (Rob even said the piano sound quantised, so I assume the piano is out of the equation). I don’t hear it myself. Everything was also played along to a backing track that was locked in time.

All in all, you did it serious justice. I'm not a big fan of the vocal phrasing in "You never give me your money". It's a bit too "off timing" for my taste - but it is a matter of style, not execution.

To be clear, the original was done by the masters - so any attempt at replication is going to be a lesser comparison by virtue of the nature of the work and with whom the comparison is made.

Still - well crafted - and most of the nits I might have are merely rough spots (harsh cymbals etc ... that could be smoothed) that are minor only.

Back