The Battle Of Brighton Beach '64

stratmonkee

Well, this one is a bit of a over indulgent everything but the kitchen sink project
:lollers2:
Started out wanting to do something using my classical guitar, then morphed into a The Who Quadrophenia inspired thing, with a bit of strings /synth thrown in courtesy of the mel9 and boss sy1 pedals ...its bit cheesy but was really fun to work on...
The Battle Of Brighton Beach '64

Yes this is a fun tune lots of things to listen to and a lot of wildness about from 3 to 4 minutes it seems like the drums get a little bit buried underneath all those wild guitars but it sounds great

Love the tone on the guitars at "The Who" entrance. Would love to hear a rocker voice come on the scene and sing some sweet nothing's...

The strings/FX that come in starting around 1:36 feel a bit cheap to me.

The solo at 2:51 is a bit muddied and I think could be cleaned up/brought to the foreground more to be made more "legible". But cool addition, I really like the chaos it introduces and keeps the mix interesting!! Suggestion - when the guitar starts getting crazy, I feel like the drums/bass should also get a bit more crazy and break their patterns a bit, it feels like a bit of disconnect there between the instruments. The drum is doing his classic stroll down the courtyard while his guitar friend is dying on the beach!!

Neato. It's an alright balance - but I want better definition on the parts - and I want to hear vocals.

yeah this is a fun listen. I like the energy behind the guitars and drums. Nice balance with the guitars and bass. It's gets you going.

Drums might be a tad small - but that's nitpicking. Have you added parallel compression or parallel distortion? Or tried a parallel snare reverb track slightly blended in?

+1 to the comment that this could use some simple screaming rock vocals. This is a great platform for some Bon Scott IMO.

Maybe clean up the very ending. There is a bass note played there and I'm like not sure it ought to be there.

Nice song, but I'm in the "needs vocals" camp.

Its cool that you worked in the Mel9. I find that those pedals (I've got the B9) really require a different technique to make them sound like a keyboard player.

Yes this is a fun tune lots of things to listen to and a lot of wildness about from 3 to 4 minutes it seems like the drums get a little bit buried underneath all those wild guitars but it sounds great
Thanks! Agree on the drums , on my pretty large list of things to address on this. Thanks for the listen!

ajsajs - The strings are a bit cheesy sounding...was trying to capture the vibe of Quadrophenia's "Overture" for those....still working on dialing in tone on the mel9. Will try bringing the solo guitars a bit more forward and clearer, I agree they sound a bit murky...there is a few different tracks of whammy bar/feedback chaotic guitars that currently are awash a bit in reverb/delay...gonna dry them out as well as maybe get rid of a couple...will try changing the drums up in that part as well. Vocals are a little beyond me, but may give them a shot . Thanks for the feedback!​

Papanate - hanks for listening, will work on getting the guitars /bass a little more defined... may try some vocals...will see :>) . Thanks for listening!​

ibleedburgundy- Yes !! That bass note is killing me towards the end of the song...timing is off a beat and sticks out like a sore thumb :ROFLMAO::poop:! May try a new bass guitar track as there are a couple of spots that bug me a bit. Have not done anything with drum track other then cut/arrange the loops the way I wanted them, will be addressing the dynamics/eq! Thanks for the feedback!​

TalismanRich- Vocals are a possibility, have wrote some lyrics that may work. Yeah those EHX "9" series pedals are a lot of fun to mess with ...I have the C9 and Mel9...the C9 has a few that seem to work better finger picking rather then using a pick, the attack is very crucial for getting that keyboard type sound I've found. Thanks for listening!​

Awesome organicness. The Who, indeed! That's probably even a 4-mic kit you chose... :sneaky:

Some (every other?) of those Esus-E and Asus-A resolutions could be off the beat instead of always squared up.

I think the bitchin' chaos solo could be a skosh shorter. And introducing it with the chords takes the piss out of it- might be more effective to have this new section hit with chords and lead guitar all at once.

Awesome organicness. The Who, indeed! That's probably even a 4-mic kit you chose... :sneaky:

Some (every other?) of those Esus-E and Asus-A resolutions could be off the beat instead of always squared up.

I think the bitchin' chaos solo could be a skosh shorter. And introducing it with the chords takes the piss out of it- might be more effective to have this new section hit with chords and lead guitar all at once.
Yeah, like the idea of having every other chord resolution be off the beat...would really give it a LIve Who vibe . Working on editing that solo and cutting it a bit ...
The drums are from a loop collection by Simon Phillips, the particular set I used on this are entitled "Moon Madness" so I believe that's the style he was playing :-)..
Thanks for listening and the feedback!

Vocals would add another dimension for sure but I'm not missing them on this jam. I can see Townsend pinwheeling those power chords. The balance is excellent imo and the tones all blend well. Sounds like you had fun putting this together. Nice job

Vocals would add another dimension for sure but I'm not missing them on this jam. I can see Townsend pinwheeling those power chords. The balance is excellent imo and the tones all blend well. Sounds like you had fun putting this together. Nice job
Thanks man, yeah...may add some vocals , but not sure I have any suitable lyrics right now...kinda in a dry spell when it comes to writing lyrics. Thanks for listening , glad ya dug it!

Back