"The Anthropologist" acoustic rock

IronFlippy

Dedicated To My Member
Same as always, critique away!

The vocalist needs some work (he knows it too, he's trying to improve). There's a strong possibility of re-tracking the vocals this weekend. I wasn't around for the recording of them or the guitars, and the vocals were recorded way too hot. The acoustics were recorded DI, but I kind of liked the sound of them that way. What's your opinion on it?

I'm trying to polish a turd here, any recommendations (outside of dropping the project ;) )?

CAUTION: explicit lyrics

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=6757

IronFlippy said:
Same as always, critique away!

The vocalist needs some work (he knows it too, he's trying to improve). There's a strong possibility of re-tracking the vocals this weekend. I wasn't around for the recording of them or the guitars, and the vocals were recorded way too hot. The acoustics were recorded DI, but I kind of liked the sound of them that way. What's your opinion on it?

I'm trying to polish a turd here, any recommendations (outside of dropping the project ;) )?

CAUTION: explicit lyrics

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=6757

Well, job 1 is retrack the vox... Phasey, too dry for this soundfield, and much edgier than the instruments from an EQ perspective; you might could fix the EQ, but I don't think you can catch the phase problem... (to say nothing of the pitchiness ;) )

The DI guitar work sounds fine... I actually like the way DIs sound on accompanied acoustic like this. It's punchier. Drums are underneath the mix too much and need some edge to cut better. Bass is good, maybe just a little more definition. Good groove overall, but the vox need recutting, and it needs some judicious know-twisting, but I think the raw materials are there for a good one!

Good song. With some work, this could turn into a good recording.

I don't like the di guitar sound. Maybe drop one of the di guitars and replace it with an electric or miked acoustic? Or both. I would retrack the vocals for sure.

Back