The Anonymous Cracked Software Poll?

Do You Use Pirated Software for "Try B4 Buy?"

• yes

Votes: 164 55.8%
  • no

Votes: 130 44.2%

• Total voters

bruuen

Not something thats permitted, especially among serious musicians. But with the high price of software these days, i can't help but use the pirated version of a software for an amount of time to figure if i like it before i part with my money, and then if i feel its worth my money, i'll get it for the fact i know i can rely on reliable software that doesn't have bugs created possibly in p2p land. anyone else feel this way?

i stated my opinions on the matter on a previous thread. the "Reader's digest" version is as follows:
- if a demo has limited access to features accessible to the final product, i can see that as a legitimate reason to "try before you buy".. especially if the product would be a substantial investment
- i find that cracked versions are too easily accessible and offer little reason for someone with a cracked copy to purchase the legitimate copy, which will hurt sales.
- high software prices lead to increased piracy, which leads to further-increased software prices; offering a "slimmed-down" version of a product at a lower price (with decreased functionality) is ineffective against piracy.

Perhaps the next version of cubase should be loaded on a PCI card... that might hurt a few thieves.

I have no patience for this kind of shit.

You would never think of stealing a guitar or an amplifier from a music store mostly because you'd never make it out the door with it. But it's all right, no big deal, no harm done to pirate software --- large, small or otherwise --- that someone put a whole bunch of time, creativity, knowledge and plain old sweat into.

My take on it -- fuck all y'all who use pirated software.

ssscientist said:
I have no patience for this kind of shit.

You would never think of stealing a guitar or an amplifier from a music store mostly because you'd never make it out the door with it. But it's all right, no big deal, no harm done to pirate software --- large, small or otherwise --- that someone put a whole bunch of time, creativity, knowledge and plain old sweat into.

My take on it -- fuck all y'all who use pirated software.
Ditto here.
Every demo I have tried has had the full functionallity of the full version, but with either save-disabled, and/or an automatic time sensitive limit. You shouldn't need to actually see every feature first hand, because every demo I've used came with a manual, that tells me what extra features are unlocked with a full-version, and the demos are usually designed to facilitate the workflow concept (Which is the primary selling point for software, not so-much the features, but the ease of use plus features). So get demos, see how it's workflow is, read what functions you can get when you buy the software. If you can't figure it out without ripping someone off, then too bad. You wouldn't steal that amp because you weren't sure how it would sound in your particular garage. The Ends do not justify the Means my friends. Not trying to be an ass, just telling it like I see it...You asked...

my two cents here,

In case there is a decent demo, I agree with the opposers to pirated software. Personally, I find most demos to be kind of a rip off, especially the recent rise of the "30 minute full feature" demos...
I can't figure out how to work a program if I only get 30 minutes to try it out and then have to start all over again... on the other hand, 14+day, full feature trial versions are great and override whatever i'm going to say afterwards :)

Some software however is aimed at the professional market, and is priced conformingly. As an amateur, I do want to be able to work with a fully functional software suite to gain knowledge of how to work it "for real", make some demos of what I can achieve and have people judge for themselves if they like my work. If I ever intend to start making money with it, I'll most likely buy the product I'm using, even if it were just for the support that comes with it...

Don't go throw stones at people trying to find out what they want to spend their hard earned/saved money on. For the hardware example, if I intend to buy a piece fo gear, I go play with it in the store, sign a release form for a tryout, take it home with me and see if it works for me in my garage. if I can't try it out, I probably won't buy it, and will try to find someone who can lend it to me for a while. It's a 'legal' way of doing the exact same thing. Just as some software developers give you the opportunity to use their product for a period of time, some shops let you try out their gear at home. If you can't get hold of a decent sample, you need "peer-to-peer"

I will admit that I had a cracked Cubase SX2.0 on my machine at one time. After using it to mix some stuff I decided I liked it and made a decision to buy it when I could. I got rid of it because of the guilt and used Kristal until I bought my Firebox which came with Cubase LE. I am satisfied for now with the limited features but I will upgrade sometime this year.

tell me youve gone to the auto dealer and you go to test drive a car and as you put it in gear the car shuts off and the panel displays "you can only drive it when you buy it". I would never buy software that I cant try in its entirety. If it says I can mix down the final outcome and expect me to beleive that it does a graet job doing it. yea Im going to go on there word for it. I have a demo of adobe creative suite. now thats what I call a demo. Its fully functional for 30 days. you just have to order it free from their website. why cant expence software do that. cause they want you eat their words. so if you buy it and it doesnt meet your expectations then so what they got their money and you just got screwed.

It's funny, I'll use pirated software for almost anything but music software. I don't know why, I guess my conscience is just a little bit more sensitive when it comes to something as close to me as music is. I have tried a few plugins when no demos have been available, but I haven't left it long.

Just for perspective:

- If you think audio software is expensive, try hardware. :eek:
- See if you can get a fully functional free "demo" of a hardware unit.
- Since when was expense a legitimate excuse for stealing? There are pleny of less expensive software packages around.

I've used cracked software. Back when I first discovered P2P software I went hog wild and downloaded all kinds of stuff. It got old after a couple months and shock set it: I can download almost ANYTHING I want...how are the software companies making any money? Its pretty silly actually- you can only justify software piracy through greed or convenience and have to turn a blind eye to basic economics to say it doesn't hurt the industry much.

-C

ssscientist said:

Just to play devil's advocate...

There would be no reason to steal a guitar or amp out of the store, because in stores you can actually try out the item and see if it works for you. Most stores will even let you bring in the rest of your gear to see if everything works out.

Not so with software. You can't just take your notebook into the store and say "hey, I want to check out Cubase but I'm not sure I'll like it. Mind if I rip open the box and install it for a few hours to see what it's like?" That completely wouldn't fly.

I'm one of those who did use a pirated copy of Sonar 3 and then decided it worked the way I wanted, and then I actually bought a real copy of it. I also tried a pirated copy of Cubase for a couple of weeks. It wasn't what I was after, so I uninstalled it and deleted the download.

Do you really think those who are stealing software are going to benefit that much from doing it? I mean c'mon, their looking for a quick, easy way to obtaining what most of us work hard for. They want a quick answer. Do you think these people are going to be sitting down and reading/studying their manuals, trying to gain real knowledge on how to write and produce good music?

RhythmRmixd said:
Do you really think those who are stealing software are going to benefit that much from doing it? I mean c'mon, their looking for a quick, easy way to obtaining what most of us work hard for. They want a quick answer. Do you think these people are going to be sitting down and reading/studying their manuals, trying to gain real knowledge on how to write and produce good music?
Right there is much of the reason I won't keep cracked software of most things. Though I feel little sympathy for large corporations who overcharge for software (Adobe Photoshop comes to mind, the amount they charge for updates is ridiculous compared to the new features), the fact is, especially with music software, I'm not likely to put effort into learning something I didn't spend money on. The user experience, on the whole, is much better with bought software. It's just worth it.

The question though is not whether you use pirated software, but only if you use it to demo software. Presumably, if you like the pirated version you would buy the real version. This thread would seem to pertain only to those software programs/plugins that don't offer demos, or demos that are so crippled as to be useless.

That said, I don't use pirated software. I've had my music stolen and profited from by others, so I know what a bad feeling that is and wouldn't want to inflict that on anyone else.

However, software companies need to provide useful demos so that potential users can fairly judge the software/plugins on their merits. 30 day time-limited fully functional demos are great, and the demos that have audio dropouts every once in a while are good too.

Last edited:
I'm on the "Not Gonna Do It" band wagon. If a product has a legit try before you buy program, by all means but otherwise no.

On that note, product manufacturers/vendors might do better to develop limited versions to let people get a real test drive before they buy. I'm guessing that some people are picking up hacked/cracked versions because they want to know what they're getting before the dump out the big bucks. For instance,...I've been on the lookout for a noise reduction application. One of the most praised is "Sound Soap". They don't offer a test run so, I won't buy it. They offered to doctor a sound sample for me but that's not the same, I want to see it for myself. IF I were a little less honest, I could simply go to one of those Torrent sites and get a cracked copy but then, once I had the full (free/stolen) version, I might not be inclined to pay for it.

true-eurt said:
THOU SHALT NOT STEAL..... :( :mad:

I think we're in the minority here... :(

I have lost a lot of faith in people lately. No integrity. No scruples. Always out for themselves...........

Well, I for one appreciate your sentiment.

Back