the 388: running various tape formulations...

Since these machines are all getting on in years, IMO, following factory recommendation is even more important.

Several semi-pro 1/4" machines from TASCAM and Fostex specify 1-mil tape. Now is probably not the time to throw caution to the wind.

For the 388 your best choices are:

Quantegy 407, 457
Maxell XL1 35-90B
RMGI (BASF/EMTEC) LPR35

407 and XL 35-90B would be my first choices.

Tim
:)

In ordering some stuff from Tascam last week, I asked the tech I had on the line (Jimmy) about running 1.5 mil on the 388, and straight from the horses mouth he said "running 1.5 will tear up the motors" . He could have just meant at the stock settings though, as I didn't ask about MCI2424's assertion that if the tension could be adjusted it could compensate.

Also, the only place online I've been able to find 457 and 407 (in the 1800' 7" reel format) is Quantegy direct. Media Solutions had it listed cheaper and I ordered, but was later told they no longer stocked it siting lack of volume. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
shedshrine said:
In ordering some stuff from Tascam last week, I asked the tech I had on the line (Jimmy) about running 1.5 mil on the 388, and straight from the horses mouth he said "running 1.5 will tear up the motors" . He could have just meant at the stock settings though, as I didn't ask about MCI2424's assertion that if the tension could be adjusted it could compensate.

Also, the only place online I've been able to find 457 and 407 (in the 1800' 7" reel format) is Quantegy direct. Media Solutions had it listed cheaper and I ordered, but was later told they no longer stocked it siting lack of volume. :rolleyes:

Yes, Jimmy, he's the main tech there. If, by "tearing" up the motors, he meant putting a strain and unnecessary wear on them then I agree.

It's not only tension but the actual weight of the 456 tape. It's heavier than the Maxell or 407, making the rather small 388 motors work harder.

Some use 456 with the 388 (with recalibration) very successfully and the end result sounds great but I personally would not do 456 or higher on the 388. In my opinion it shortens the machines life.

Order Quantegy 407 from Quantegy Direct, from their online store. You are then assured the freshest stock and the price is still good, pretty cheap imho.

cjacek said:
Order Quantegy 407 from Quantegy Direct, from their online store. You are then assured the freshest stock and the price is still good, pretty cheap imho.

I realize it has been attempted to school me on the two Quantegy tapes available, 407 and 457, but I guess I'm looking for still a different angle to get my head around the differences. Jimmy said that 407 doesn't have as much headroom. Does that mean it will distort sooner, or compress sooner?

I know, I know, the dbx precludes that (?). I'm trying to remember from when I had my first 388 if I chose to turn off the dbx sometimes, or just on playback, to get a "live" feel, really open even if a little noisy which to my untrained ears sounded exiting and added an atmosphere (well, it did to my ears) I"ll be finding out soon enough :) Do any of you choose to not use the dbx always, sometimes, and for what effect/trade off?

shedshrine said:
I realize it has been attempted to school me on the two Quantegy tapes available, 407 and 457, but I guess I'm looking for still a different angle to get my head around the differences. Jimmy said that 407 doesn't have as much headroom. Does that mean it will distort sooner, or compress sooner?

I know, I know, the dbx precludes that (?). I'm trying to remember from when I had my first 388 if I chose to turn off the dbx sometimes, or just on playback, to get a "live" feel, really open even if a little noisy which to my untrained ears sounded exiting and added an atmosphere (well, it did to my ears) I"ll be finding out soon enough :) Do any of you choose to not use the dbx always, sometimes, and for what effect/trade off?

Dave (A Reel Person) forgot to engage dbx in one of his recordings and it sounded great. I could hear a bit of hiss but he must have hit the tape pretty hard too. That's another factor. That and also he used a hotter tape.

Yes, I heard that "openess" too, like it was a bit brighter or sparkling without the dbx. Let me assure you tho, that a properly functioning dbx nr can only improve the overall sound of recordings made on a narrow track machine, such as is the 388.

When dbx is engaged, as you know, headroom of a tape doesn't really come into play. It'll be as quiet with 407 as with 457. If you leave dbx off, you'll have to contend with hiss that you can mask by elevating your levels and I don't really mean into the red. You can also do EQ tricks to reduce some hiss but I don't really use that so I can't comment.

Also, with narrow track machines, there is a problem with the bottom end and cross talk when you push the machine's levels and have the dbx turned off.

My best recommendation is to get 407 and forget about it. This tape really does sound great. :)

Aha! So that's why I'd heard about some folks using dbx on say 1-4, and not on 5-8. They'd probably track the guitars, vox with dbx off, bass and drums with it on.

Will have to try that out :D

Last edited:
shedshrine said:
Aha! So that's why I'd heard about some folks using dbx on say 1-4, and not on 5-8. They'd probably track the guitars, vox with dbx off, bass and drums with it on.

Will have to try that out :D

I have found that the low end on narrow track machines, when you have dbx off, will record thinner.

Actually, listen to the following 2 clips from Dave's site (A Reel Person):

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=312544&songID=3450258

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=312544&songID=3450404

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=312544&songID=3191161

Only the first track (link) was recorded with dbx off. I think you'll agree that all sound great. I still think, however, that you should record with dbx engaged for all tracks and not push the meters into the red.

to be honest, I couldn't really hear much of a difference dynamic range wise with these on my little computer speakers. They all sounded pretty even. Sounds like Dave was having fun too :D Inspired me to check out soundclick and sign up.

I put up one of my first recordings as it was on a 388. Even at this distant point in the past, the signature traits of my sound were apparent ( note the ease with which I unleash this unrelentingly repetitive and amateurish 1980's soundtrackish groove!!) ...but it was indeed tracked on a 388, and I believe the "drums" (korg m1 keys) were with dbx on, and the guitar was with it off.
I also recall being quite liberal with the colorful mixer eq.

Finally, as this mix was made to cassette, dubbed to minidisc, then to cd, and finally ripped as an mp3, the origin of the track point is moot :D But we are having fun, no? :eek:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=623435

Yeah, like I said, Dave's 388 recordings ALL sound fantastic, even the one where he forgot to engage dbx. There are, however, subtle differences but it's hard to tell on small pc speakers and especially that the songs are very busy and loud mixes. First rate though. :)

Your recording has a nice 80's vibe but you're right that there's substantial degradation. Is that your daughter again in those picts, on the soundclick page ? I gather she's your inspiration ... ? :)

Btw, I didn't know you had previous experience with a 388 .. :confused:

In a fortunate turn of events, I worked on an oil tanker for two three month stints one summer/fall. You can't exactly go out for pizza Friday nights :rolleyes: , so I managed to save some loot. (..well, Picked up a korg m1 and charvel model 6 guitar in Singapore, about 20% cheaper than stateside, and no tax! :cool: ) Paid off my student loan, and with the rest bought a bunch of recording gear. That's how I was able to afford such a fine "portastudio" from recording day one. I sold it after only recording maybe four reels on it to get money to go to Japan to teach English. Then I bought a Tascam porta 05... :D

and yes, that is my daughter. She is definitely my photography inspiration. music?, well, she tends to want to push buttons, flick switches, and generally do to the engineering process what jackson pollock is to still life painting... ;)

457 is cool but it's a +6 tape and one would need to recallibrate the 388 electronics in order for it to sound right. The bias will be off and so will the levels. Although this can be done, it's not nearly as easy (and fast) as with a 3 head deck, where you can monitor the changes (in real time) using the 3rd head.

Copied this here as it keeps similar on-topic info in one spot:

CFSound said:
Does anyone here have any good suggestions as to where I can buy tape for the 388? Thanks, -Dan

shedshrine said:
Well, according to this thread, it's either 407 or 457. The tech that got mine up to spec said it was set up for 457 (which he determined by the specifications page reference to certain nanowebers?). I ended up buying a reel of each, though I've only got half way through the 457 reel (which sounds great), and have yet to open the 407.

The only place that sells the 1 mil thick 1800 ft 7" reels for the 388 that I have been able to find is quantegy itself. Other places site lack of volume for not listing/selling it.

Quantegy 407 buy link:

http://quantegyonline.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_76&products_id=39

Quantegy 457 buy link:

http://quantegyonline.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32_79&products_id=64

Back