that thin metalic sound after noise reduction?

scapegoat

Hi, I have some tapes and records that I want to record into my hard drive. After recording with wavelab, there is tape hiss in the music. So I take the wave files and do noise reduction on them. I have tried some plugins and also the cool edit trick that was discussed earlier on this board by Tony under the "quick editing question" topic. Anyways it worked to my satisfaction, expect for that "thin metalic sound" it adds to the music. You can't really hear it passively, but if you turn it up a little and listen carefully, you can hear it. You know what I'm talking about? How would you eliminate that? Any tips or tricks would be absolutely fabulous...thanks...peace.

I have had a similar problem with Cool Edit noise reduction. When I use it for getting rid of boom and flutter from vinyl recordings, I _think_ I get the metally sound when I pick up too many pops and clicks when defining the noise profile.

I find that this problem particularly affects hi-hats, do you?

matt

Although I have such a plug in myself.
I havn't had the chance to use it to much but from what your describing, it sounds like a typical side effect of the noise reduction, when you over do it.
I think what you have to do is go easier on the parameters
like attack time (I'm not sure which plug in your using).

I find that running the plug in twice on lower settings brings me better results.

Hi scapegoat

Try recording the Lps and tapes into Cool Edit or SoundForge first...maybe Wavelab is causing the prob??

Try less on the Noise Reduction Level in CE

and make sure your in 16Bit 44Khz mode

see ya

Tony

What I've discovered about that damn metallic sound is that I was trying to remove noise in blank or very soft areas (low signal-to-noise ratio). Once the drums kick into our songs, you can't really hear the metallics.... so....

I'll compress the signal as it is being recorded (this was when we were still running it to 1/4 cassette tape), and then use the noramalizer function to "turn down" the levels when the drums and bass weren't blasting away. This created a greater signal-to noise ratio, and I was able to get away with dropping noise ten to fifteen decibels (I went crazy at the beginning and tried to reduce by 60 dB!).

Also, screw around with all 4 preset variables. I don't have CEP open right now, but it seems I changed one of the variables (the mix, or percentage, or something) to 85 (from 60 or 65). This helped our sound, but then again, anything will help our sound!

Good luck!

Thanks for all your replies...

Cakey2: Yeah, it seems to affect high frequency sounds.

Shalit: I have steinburg's noise reduction plugin, sound forge's noise and vinyl reduction, and the one in Cool Edit Pro. I'm going to try that though...thanks.

Tony: Yeah I'll try that too, actually I recorded in 24bit 44100...so I'll go a different route this time.

Kelly: Good looking out...thanks for your tip.

...also, I was thinking about maybe EQing out the high frequencies on the parts where you can hear the metalic sound.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shailat:
I find that running the plug in twice on lower settings brings me better results. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great advice, as usual. That trick can work well with compressors that don't slam like ya want, too (at the expense of a lil' more noise).

[This message has been edited by pglewis (edited 06-14-2000).]

Yo scapegoat

Default setting in cooledit fot the FFT samples in the noise reduction is 4096 I have to change mine to at least 8192 to get a better sound

Tony

tutton(Tony): Yeah your right, with the default I had to do it twice...by setting it to 8192 you do get a better sound but it also puts more empathsis on the metalic sound. Still working on it...

With my editing software I sample the music free area, copy to the clipboard and then apply noise reduction to the music. I've found that often I get a phase effect on the cymbals. Sometimes it's just a thin metalic sound and It seems to occur on some batches of recordings and not others. This must have something to do with how the recording was made in the first place I.E. what effects were used and how it was EQed.

I've emailed the creator of my software and he said this occurs because the cymbals, especially, cover a wide range of frequencies. He suggested I reduce the "scale" parameter in my settings but warned that this would reduce the overall effectiveness of the noise reduction.

If I reduced the scale by 50% and applied it twice would that be following the suggestion made here previously?

Thanks,
Rusty K

Back