that silver thingy....

I always thought that it was there so you could anchor your thumb on something. Always worked well for me.

Ya I ned a thumb anchor but, that cover would be too far back for me. I like one of those rectangle rests above the strings.

Rip it off!!

My drumers dad has an old fender with one of those. He put lite foam between it and the strings to get that punchy compressed sound??????? I will never understand him.

he is also the guy that road threw town on a float during the parade playing with a band and........ (hold on to your hats).... He thought it was going to rain so he wrapped his guitar loosely in selifain:D :D:o

I about fell out of my chair when he came rolling buy!!!!

F.S.

My drumers dad has an old fender with one of those. He put lite foam between it and the strings to get that punchy compressed sound??????? I will never understand him.

Well, a lot of the time the foam is there is to stop open strings ringing in sympathy with the ones you pluck. We had a debate about this a few months ago when somebody posted a pic of a bassist with foam under the bridge or something.

Just been out for lunch but only had one very small beer:)

i remember the foam thingy

i thought the covers were there to muffle the strings and make them thump more, but i guess if you put the foam under the cover it would do that, in that sense i could see using one, but, geez they just get in the way

freak

I remember some foam thing the first day I bought my Ric. It was the first thing to be taken off that same very day. Some kind of mute thing...it was not for me!

im guessin its for keeping the strings from ringing like normal and making them thump.

i wouldnt mind the upright kind of thumping sound.....but not if i gotta have one of those stupid silver things on it with foam

freak

i dont got em.......was just playing a p-bass that had them on there........

i think gold thingys would get in the way just as much. but they would look cool.....oh well

freak

Garry Sharp said:
Well, a lot of the time the foam is there is to stop open strings ringing in sympathy with the ones you pluck. We had a debate about this a few months ago when somebody posted a pic of a bassist with foam under the bridge or something.

Just been out for lunch but only had one very small beer:)

The foam "thingy" dates back to when the P-bass first came out. The sound that people were familiar with was the double acoustic bass. Listen to recordings made in the 40s-early 50s. The bass was a "thumping" sound. Not like today's sound. The foam damps the strings to sound more like a double bass. Some bass manufacturers (rickenbacker) used the "silver thingy" to cover up the "foam thingy".

Back