that page with the EQ ranges...

GreenDank

can someone link me up to one of those pages with the nice EQ ranges of the various instruments for EQ-ing and hi/low passing purposes? particularly for rock/metal.

my mixes are so muddied up, I need to really start doing some target golf with the EQ.

petimar said:
SonicAlbert said:
Not to mention the one at http://www.indepen.... oh never mind. :D

I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank forum member "mohthom" for pointing out some anamolies with the frequency range and information for the harp that he was indeed correct about. Just within the past 48 hours I have updated the chart to fix those inaccuracies. And if anyone else finds some mistakes I may have made, please PM me and let me know and I'll fix them.

A caveat on this chart and others like it, though; are some "best estimates" and subjective choices that always have to be made when creating this kind of chart. Due to variants on some instruments in instrument design, instruments mods, different tunings, and even player proficiency, some of the representations for some instruments should not be considered as gospel chiseled into stone. Hence the disclaimer in the legend of my chart that "all values are approximate". Some may not agree with some of my choices. But in cases where I have simply made a blatent mistake - like I did with drawing the egdes of the harp range - I'll entertain any corrections via e-mail or PM on this board, and make them when feasable.

G.

GreenDank said:
my mixes are so muddied up, I need to really start doing some target golf with the EQ.

Mud lives at 315Hz.

When I started mixing, I looked at a kajillion EQ charts, and there's nothing in the world wrong with doing that, because it's definitely part of the learning process; but most of us are also musicians, so we naturally have pretty decent ears. Just don't forget to use them.

Anyway, most of us true "home" recordists record in less than ideal environments, so we HAVE to use some post EQ. Start cutting guitars and bass and even vocals in the 315Hz range and see if your mixes don't clear up a lot.

Good luck with your mud. :D

Back